Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Coilover install question

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 06:18 AM
chrisjersey06

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coilover install question

Hey everyone. I'm kind of a noob when it comes to coilovers, so please don't flame me if this question is super obvious.

Well I just picked up a set of RSR coils off another member who is selling his car. I read great things about these so I can't wait to get them up and going. My question happens to be about how to set up the fronts for installation.

I always thought that height adjustments always had a locking nut, but then when I received these, the previous owner had the nut below the piece that is used for hanging brake lines, and nowhere near the height adjustment nut. So then I looked up a stock photo for them and it doesn't even show a locking nut at all? Now I'm confused as to where to put it. Either keep it where it is now, or unbolt that grommet and move it up to lock the height adjustment in place.

Here's a photo of how he had it (and how it came to me), and a stock photo of the setup.

Also, does anyone know what those black circles are on the bottom right of the stock photo? I didn't get those, and can't think of what they could be for. I originally thought it was new rear lower spring mounts, but the new springs fit right in with the stock mounts just fine.

Last question...How do I know what to set the dampening to prior to installation? The adjustment ***** have 48 clicks from all the way soft to all the way hard, so I just put it in the middle at 23-24 or so. Was this right? Or is that to firm/soft? The fronts will be easy to adjust while on the car, but the rears not so much, so I want to get them close to right before I they go on.

Thanks in advance for all the help

Last edited by chrisjersey06; 11-07-2009 at 06:21 AM.
Old 11-07-2009, 08:42 AM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I read the sellers past posts, I couldn't find anything credible to suggest the product was any different that all the other generic coilovers on the market. Yes, R-SR has a name, but I don't believe for a minute that they had anything to do with making the product itself, sorry. I don't recall the price you paid but I hope you feel that you got a good deal and I hope it meets your needs.

The coilover doesn't have secondary locking collars because each collar you see is self locking with a allen wrench.

You adjust front height by unlocking the bottom collar and spinning the mounting leg below up or down. On the rear dampers you will change rear damper length as you raise or lower the car to maintain piston stroke. (Of course you adjust rear ride height by adjusting the rear spring seat).

The black disk's in the lower right would be isolation pads that would install above the adjustable spring seats. Do use them, not installing them will up harshness with no positive gain on performance or feel.

Generally most damping adjustors are clockwise to stiffen, counterclockwise to soften. While you might not have happy thoughts about having to pull the rear dampers to adjust them, it's better to start off with full soft and test and make changes up from their if needed. Under no circumstances would I install preset past 1/4 or 1/3 stiff.

Also, some damper adjustors have weak stops, be carefull to not use too much force when turning them up or down when you hit full soft or full stiff.

Last edited by Gsedan35; 11-07-2009 at 08:43 AM.
Old 11-07-2009, 09:48 AM
chrisjersey06

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gsedan35
I read the sellers past posts, I couldn't find anything credible to suggest the product was any different that all the other generic coilovers on the market. Yes, R-SR has a name, but I don't believe for a minute that they had anything to do with making the product itself, sorry. I don't recall the price you paid but I hope you feel that you got a good deal and I hope it meets your needs.

The coilover doesn't have secondary locking collars because each collar you see is self locking with a allen wrench.

You adjust front height by unlocking the bottom collar and spinning the mounting leg below up or down. On the rear dampers you will change rear damper length as you raise or lower the car to maintain piston stroke. (Of course you adjust rear ride height by adjusting the rear spring seat).

The black disk's in the lower right would be isolation pads that would install above the adjustable spring seats. Do use them, not installing them will up harshness with no positive gain on performance or feel.

Generally most damping adjustors are clockwise to stiffen, counterclockwise to soften. While you might not have happy thoughts about having to pull the rear dampers to adjust them, it's better to start off with full soft and test and make changes up from their if needed. Under no circumstances would I install preset past 1/4 or 1/3 stiff.

Also, some damper adjustors have weak stops, be carefull to not use too much force when turning them up or down when you hit full soft or full stiff.
Well the reason I got them over others was for the wide range of height adjustability, and for the spring rates. I knew I wasn't exactly getting monoflex's, but it should suit my needs fine because I don't track the car. The reviews I read on them were for other cars, which said good things about them. I haven't read anything about them for Z's though. I feel like they should be superior to other setups in the same price range such as Basics, etc. Or at least I'm hoping.

I see what you mean about self locking with an allen wrench, I didn't know that before, thanks. And I didn't know you had to shorten the actual shocks whenever you lowered it by the springs either. How do I know how much to shorten them once the springs are adjusted?

Is it bad that I put the rears in without the isolation pads? The seller never mentioned anything about them so I dont think he used them either. Any place I can get them separately?

How will I know if it needs to be stiffer or softer? Is it just by how it feels to me?

Thanks for your help, Gsedan. I appreciate it.

Last edited by chrisjersey06; 11-07-2009 at 10:16 AM.