Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Rotora BBK......HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 10:16 AM
mforrest100

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rotora BBK......HELP!!!!

I purchased a brand new Rotora BBK (14" Front and Rear) for my G35 Sedan a year and a half ago and installed them last summer (2008). I put about 4000 miles on the kit since I have had them. By the end of this summer I was getting the worst vibration known to man when I was braking. I took my car to Vinney Ten Racing and he determined that the rotors were warped. After making some phone calls and talking to a few people I found out that there was a special break in process I was suppose to perform on the rotors when I initially installed them. Not doing that has allowed brake pad deposits to build up in the rotor. I wanted to know if anyone can advise me on the following:

1. Has anyone else had this problem?
2. Can these rotors be resurfaced?
3. Stoptech makes the same exact size rotor. Is there any chance that the Stoptech rotors will fit on the Rotora hats? I see they both have a 10 bolt pattern but not sure if they line up. The stoptech rotors are cheaper in price and I thought that may be better quality to go with this time around.
4. Whether I replace the rotors or get them resurfaced....should I still replace the pads regardless or only if I replace the rotors?

Any information anyone has on this matter will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 11-10-2009, 10:33 AM
Z04

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mforrest100
I purchased a brand new Rotora BBK (14" Front and Rear) for my G35 Sedan a year and a half ago and installed them last summer (2008). I put about 4000 miles on the kit since I have had them. By the end of this summer I was getting the worst vibration known to man when I was braking. I took my car to Vinney Ten Racing and he determined that the rotors were warped. After making some phone calls and talking to a few people I found out that there was a special break in process I was suppose to perform on the rotors when I initially installed them. Not doing that has allowed brake pad deposits to build up in the rotor. I wanted to know if anyone can advise me on the following:

1. Has anyone else had this problem?
2. Can these rotors be resurfaced?
3. Stoptech makes the same exact size rotor. Is there any chance that the Stoptech rotors will fit on the Rotora hats? I see they both have a 10 bolt pattern but not sure if they line up. The stoptech rotors are cheaper in price and I thought that may be better quality to go with this time around.
4. Whether I replace the rotors or get them resurfaced....should I still replace the pads regardless or only if I replace the rotors?

Any information anyone has on this matter will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike
1. only if they did not follow the bed in procedures
2. no, they are warped
3. what's wrong with the ones used by rotora?
4. that's your choice, just be sure to do a proper break in next time
Old 11-10-2009, 02:18 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If you are working with Vinney Ten Racing I would follow their advise.
Old 11-11-2009, 11:05 AM
Chomorro

I have the rotora bbk kit but i have no vibration at all, I just need new pads. Can the cross drilled and slotted rotors be resurfaced or do i have to buy new ones? turned maybe? or just throw on some new pads?

Want to get some info before i go into the shop and get told all kind of BS.
Old 11-11-2009, 11:25 AM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Chomorro
I have the rotora bbk kit but i have no vibration at all, I just need new pads. Can the cross drilled and slotted rotors be resurfaced or do i have to buy new ones? turned maybe? or just throw on some new pads?

Want to get some info before i go into the shop and get told all kind of BS.
Yes, they can be resurfaced if the rotors are still thick enough. You can call Rotora to find out the minimum thickness that they would consider safe.
Old 11-11-2009, 01:38 PM
gregom

How often do you track the car? You could of overheated them several times and not let them cool down properly and/or sat with brakes applied to hot rotors when at a complete stop.
Old 11-11-2009, 05:51 PM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's not likely that the brakes are warped. Most likely it's an unequal dpositing of brake pad material.

If it's an unequal depositing of pad material then you just need to go out and bed the brakes in again. This will redistribute pad compound over the whole rotor.

If the rotors are warped yo uwill feel the ledal pulse up and down when the warped area comes in contact with the pad.