Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

$1k-1.3k coilovers budget

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 05:20 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That is the problem with these types of questions (not just you, tons of people are guilty of it).

In the previous post you said the car is 98% street driven. Now you want to know which setup would be faster on a track? That honestly makes no sense. Neither one will be faster, or slower. The faster or slower setup will depend on the driver, not whether the car has a Bilstein coilover or a NISMO S Tune. No one can quantify for you which "handles better". It all comes down to whether you want adjustable rideheight or not. That is why all of these decisions require the user to first be honest with themselves. If the car is 98% street driven, then the right setup is one that offers the user the most flexibility, and a comfortable ride. That is what makes a car pleasant to drive on the street.

The requirements for a car that is used extensively on the track should be a completely different type of setup, and that customer will (and should) have totally different wants/needs and expectations.

Last edited by Z1 Performance; 12-30-2009 at 05:23 AM.
Old 12-30-2009, 06:09 AM
350Zenophile

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Adam, you demonstrate the patience of a saint sometimes.
Old 12-30-2009, 06:24 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

eh, not really

It's the whole give a man a fish, teach a man to fish thing. Alot of people have delusions of grandeur when it comes to modding, because they aren't even honest with themselves. This leads to doing things twice, or compromising something that you really didn't want to (and then convincing yourself you're still ok with it). Being honest with your wants and needs from the get go nets you a more successful project in the short and long term, without buyers remourse.
Old 12-31-2009, 07:28 PM
blazinasian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^Spoken like a true master...

Take care
(Sorry OP, not trying to threadjack...)
Old 01-01-2010, 04:15 AM
stanleylee

adam may i ask a question ?
which will be better for track ?
bilstein pss 10 or Cusco zero 2 or somthing else with in the prices range?
dont really care about how it ride on the streets
Thanks for help anyway
Old 01-01-2010, 06:51 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by stanleylee
adam may i ask a question ?
which will be better for track ?
bilstein pss 10 or Cusco zero 2 or somthing else with in the prices range?
dont really care about how it ride on the streets
Thanks for help anyway
This is sort of a perfect example of what I mean

You are honestly telling me you don't care how the car behaves on the street? You don't care at all? So you're building a full, ***** to the wall race car, but you're budgeting ~$1600 for coilovers? It just makes no sense to me. I just have an impossible time believing that anyone doesn't care how it rides on the street. Why wouldn't you care? Your head bobbing up and down on the freeway because you convinced yourself that you don't care how it rides on the street isn't a good look. It does not have to be zero sum. A car can be equal parts street and track day, it just requires careful planning and a realistic budget.

Last edited by Z1 Performance; 01-01-2010 at 06:58 AM.
Old 01-02-2010, 03:02 AM
stanleylee

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
I just have an impossible time believing that anyone doesn't care how it rides on the street. Why wouldn't you care? Your head bobbing up and down on the freeway because you convinced yourself that you don't care how it rides on the street isn't a good look.
first of all i got to say sorry for my bad english.
maybe i should change the way how the question ask.

to be honest, for me, my understanding of good suspension are a thing that help the car stick on the road surface better; not to jump around like a mad person and make the driver head bobbing up and down on the freeway.
isnt it true the suspension job are suppose to stable the car and let the tires stay on the road surface so the tires can have max grip ? (well i might be wrong)
imo if a set of suspension can only make the car jump that is a bad suspension.

not trying to build a ball to the wall race car here, but trying to learn from people who have more experience then i do. i truly believe learning new knowledge from reliable sources is a very important part of a careful planning...

what i am looking for here are which set of suspension have the best value with in the set budget. i am sorry if those questions bother you and make you mad.

Happy New Year Every one
Old 01-02-2010, 06:31 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

I guess I am not understanding what you're now asking, since the above post completely contradicts your first one
Old 01-02-2010, 11:15 PM
stanleylee

hmm let say, 80% track and 20% road use, which one is better ? pss 10 or the cusco or something else with in the prices range of 2000?
Old 01-03-2010, 07:20 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

I really can't answer that as you're not giving nearly enough information

Serious questions: Do you actually have a track car? What exactly does it consist of? What makes you think you want a track oriented coilover? Do you have the driving experience, patience and knowledge to set up a track oriented unit?
Old 01-03-2010, 11:22 AM
stanleylee

Thanks for the respond adam
the z is my second car, it only used during the weekend and track during summer,
it have some basic bolt on, intake exhaust, ap front brake, and the 4.08 final gear from you (best mod ever!)

what make me want a better suspension are cause i found a few problem from last season, which is:
1. the weight of the car will greatly shift to the front when i brake (suppose to be good but just too much i think) and i was experiencing many understeering during the conner.
2. the car are too bouncy when ever i hit the apex ( the uneven red and white surface), 3. at last it feel like the car was going to roll over in the turn (body roll ? )

therefore the goal of the suspension will be something that could keep the car more flat (sway bar? ) Less weight shift (harder front suspension?) Less understeer (harder rear suspension? boxed tire set up?), and less bouncy ( better shocks ? )