Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

WARNING: Brembo Gran Turismo kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 03:52 PM
Fast350zCA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by plumpzz
The reason why I bought wilwood bbk is the cheap initial investment, nearly similar manufacturing method and much much cheaper (and easily available) replacement parts. Stoptech is another good brand.

Out of curiousity, did you bed your pads/rotors? That affects the life of the system.
Yep, the pads rotors were properly bedded in by the mechanic who installed them. I don't want to saw the shop name, but they do 350z's there all the time.

Also, the pads were what came with the Brembos. They are supposed to be a street pad, Ferrado 1000's I believe is the name?

Lastly, this isn't a bashing on Brembo. This posting wasn't to bash them and say how bad Brembo is. It's about educating people. Sure, there's a lot of sponsors on here that are car genius', but for those who are not, this information has been helpful to them. I've already received a few PM's thanking me for sharing the info.

One thing I will say about Brembo is that if you try calling the Italian # on their website, its disconnected. Doesn't make me feel all warm inside.
Old 01-26-2010, 03:57 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

1-800-325-3994 is their US #
Old 01-26-2010, 04:13 PM
StopTech
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FYI, if you want to save some dough, the replacement rotors that we have for our big brake kits will also bolt to the Brembo Hats. $260/rotor which includes the hardware. We also have the StopTech performance pads that fit in the Brembo Caliper.

And I actually do work for Stoptech.
Old 01-26-2010, 04:15 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

there ya go ^ - I didn't know that either, but that's awesome news
Old 01-26-2010, 04:19 PM
StopTech
Vendor - Former Vendor

Oh, and the brembo people will swear up and down that it won't work, but you can check the measurements yourself.
http://www.stoptech.com/Products/img...rDataSheet.pdf
Old 01-26-2010, 05:24 PM
Fast350zCA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
1-800-325-3994 is their US #
Might want to try that again, if you call it you'll hear a nice woman that says "we're sorry, you have reached a number that is disconnected or no longer in service".

Same as the Italian one...
Old 01-26-2010, 07:28 PM
Zazz93

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by StopTech
Oh, and the brembo people will swear up and down that it won't work, but you can check the measurements yourself.
http://www.stoptech.com/Products/img...rDataSheet.pdf

What would you say is a reasonable rotor life for a BBK? (3-4 track usages a year with someone who is fairly easy on them) I understand "fairly easy" is subjective, but what's your best guess?
Old 01-27-2010, 09:51 AM
StopTech
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Zazz93
What would you say is a reasonable rotor life for a BBK? (3-4 track usages a year with someone who is fairly easy on them) I understand "fairly easy" is subjective, but what's your best guess?
That's a really tough call to make. We've had customers who have driven 80,000 miles on a set of rotors. I'm not sure how he did that, but it does show what's possible.

We have seen well maintained systems(i.e. consistently bedded in) last 30k mi or more. With race pads run more often, which are more abrasive, 20k mi isn't abnormally now.

Ultimately there are way too many variables between conditions, driving habits, type of pads in order to make any estimation for how long rotors would last.
Old 01-27-2010, 02:49 PM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My Stoptech Aerorotors with Hawk DTC-70 race pads have 3 track days at Sebring and the rotors don't show any sign of wear.
Old 01-27-2010, 02:50 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

That's a really tough call to make. We've had customers who have driven 80,000 miles on a set of rotors. I'm not sure how he did that, but it does show what's possible.

We have seen well maintained systems(i.e. consistently bedded in) last 30k mi or more. With race pads run more often, which are more abrasive, 20k mi isn't abnormally now.

Ultimately there are way too many variables between conditions, driving habits, type of pads in order to make any estimation for how long rotors would last.
not to mention, one's tire choice
Old 01-28-2010, 02:24 AM
misterniceguy

FYI, if you want to save some dough, the replacement rotors that we have for our big brake kits will also bolt to the Brembo Hats. $260/rotor which includes the hardware. We also have the StopTech performance pads that fit in the Brembo Caliper.

And I actually do work for Stoptech.
Very useful info there. Thanks.
Old 04-11-2010, 05:36 PM
heyyouduh

Like someone pointed out, the pads that came with brake kit might have been very aggressive and especially hard on rotors when they're not warmed up (street driving). I think it's pretty ridiculous to blame the company when the buyer didn't know what he was doing, akin to buying a sports car and then blaming the car maker for the shitty gas mileage, or buying sticky tires and then blaming the tire maker for the low tread wear. There's really one thing to do now: use the brake system the way it was intended, take it to the track and swallow (gladly) the costs.

Last edited by heyyouduh; 04-11-2010 at 05:40 PM.