Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Suspension 101

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2015 | 04:21 AM
travlee
Master
Premier Member

how about you get what you want... and no you didnt research or search at all... all the questions you asked are on this site
Old 05-13-2015 | 09:05 AM
Shmoke

Originally Posted by travlee
how about you get what you want... and no you didnt research or search at all... all the questions you asked are on this site
If you dont want to help why bother posting on my thread..?
Old 05-13-2015 | 09:11 AM
travlee
Master
Premier Member

because public forum.

to answer your question since you want to be spoonfed, yes you can run them without the camber correction kit but only if doing a mild drop, if you are going to slam the car then you will need adjustable front and rears... if you want to clean up the look of it from the rear get rid of the spring buckets and get some after market toe arms

/thread
Old 05-13-2015 | 10:32 AM
Phenom
Toasty

Is it true the Bilstein PSS, PSS9, and PSS10 are all fairly soft for anything more than street use? I currently have H&R coilovers. I like them, but I was considering upgrading to an all around higher quality coilover, but don't want to soften things up from my current set up (not sure if they would though because H&R doesn't post spring rates).
Old 05-13-2015 | 04:44 PM
BuiltZ33

Originally Posted by Phenom
Is it true the Bilstein PSS, PSS9, and PSS10 are all fairly soft for anything more than street use? I currently have H&R coilovers. I like them, but I was considering upgrading to an all around higher quality coilover, but don't want to soften things up from my current set up (not sure if they would though because H&R doesn't post spring rates).
From what I've heard and researched the Bilsteins are softer but that's not first hand experience. How are your h&r's? Handling? What's your adjustability? Everything online says 2" drop is the most?
Old 05-13-2015 | 05:43 PM
stogey420time
Club Moderator
the Hot Spot

I'm on PSS10's and have my dampening to the softest setting. It's strictly used for street driving and not competition auto crossing. One of my car tech friend said "it's comfortable for how low it is."

I chose the PSS10 over the KW2 or 3's was because of the drop rate.
Bilstein lowers your car 1.7" whereas the KW3's max drop is 1.5". Though the number doesn't look much of a difference but it made a huge difference appearance wise. Basically... 1.5" drop will have one finger gap in the rear and 1.7" will have no gap in the rear, this is what I was looking for... the perfect drop.

GL on your decision.
Old 05-13-2015 | 07:18 PM
BuiltZ33

Originally Posted by stogey420time
I'm on PSS10's and have my dampening to the softest setting. It's strictly used for street driving and not competition auto crossing. One of my car tech friend said "it's comfortable for how low it is."

I chose the PSS10 over the KW2 or 3's was because of the drop rate.
Bilstein lowers your car 1.7" whereas the KW3's max drop is 1.5". Though the number doesn't look much of a difference but it made a huge difference appearance wise. Basically... 1.5" drop will have one finger gap in the rear and 1.7" will have no gap in the rear, this is what I was looking for... the perfect drop.

GL on your decision.
With the Bilsteins, could I pull off a slammed look? Still drivable but almost rim poke to fender if I could. Function over form I know but just wondering how low they can really go. I love Bilsteins product and I can get a deal through them!
Old 05-14-2015 | 04:12 AM
guitman32

Yes they are a softer setup relative to the Japanese kits, but not by much, and they are just fine for a dual purpose car out of the box. Eventually if you found yourself on track enough to warrant the conversion of the rear spring to linear...the conversion is about on-limit predictability not increasing the rear rate. Stiffer doesn't necessarily mean better, its all about how you'll realistically be using them.
Old 05-14-2015 | 05:26 AM
Phenom
Toasty

Originally Posted by BuiltZ33
From what I've heard and researched the Bilsteins are softer but that's not first hand experience. How are your h&r's? Handling? What's your adjustability? Everything online says 2" drop is the most?
I like them for the most part. They are height adjustable only which I'm ok with, however adjusting the rears is a pain in the *** because the adjustment collars sit in the spring bucket and not against the upper spring mount. The front can be slammed if desired, the rear at the lowest setting will have the fender almost at the top of the tire (slightly above). My car seems to handle pretty good with them and the ride isn't harsh. No complaints really but I'm sure a $2000+ set would perform better.

With the Bilsteins, could I pull off a slammed look? Still drivable but almost rim poke to fender if I could. Function over form I know but just wondering how low they can really go. I love Bilsteins product and I can get a deal through them!
I don't think any decent coilover would allow you to really slam the rear. It's usually the lower end BC, megan, stance, etc. coilover's that give you that much adjustability. It seems like the manufacturers of the higher quality coilovers know the coilovers don't serve much purpose from a handling standpoint being that low.

Last edited by Phenom; 05-14-2015 at 05:32 AM.
Old 05-14-2015 | 07:02 AM
stogey420time
Club Moderator
the Hot Spot

I don't think any decent coilover would allow you to really slam the rear. It's usually the lower end BC, megan, stance, etc. coilover's that give you that much adjustability. It seems like the manufacturers of the higher quality coilovers know the coilovers don't serve much purpose from a handling standpoint being that low.
Phenom pretty much summed it up. If you're looking to slam your car, you shouldn't consider Bilstein. I was dead set on Stance coilovers but wanted something with better quality, track proven and impeccable warranty - lifetime! Pic of my car below, the rear is maxed out and the front got more room to go but not necessary because I'm going for the race car drop and not hellaflush/poke drop.

Last edited by stogey420time; 05-14-2015 at 07:03 AM.
Old 05-14-2015 | 07:29 AM
outlaw9259

Default Question

Sorry but I was reading this post wanted to know if coils will work for me thanks for any input
Strength vs regular oem suspension for example holding heavy weight
My only car I sometimes do some grocery shopping
How hard is the Install ?
I have some experience with cars have done brake and rotor changes and oil
Price I think I got a idea from the listing
What brand
Would want a oem height
I think the k1 feels like a good one
Thanks Joe
Old 05-14-2015 | 07:57 AM
BigBlue

^^ good points above; you need to realize that there is a limitation to the OEM style rears of the PSS. The fronts, like already mentioned have plenty of room up or down. I'm on the pss 10's and have loved them from day one; however, I wish that I could drop a bit more on the rears.

^Stogey, great pic of your car! *I'm about 1.5 finger gap (tires are getting worn/new tread would help) have all of the "rings" (collars) out of my rears and I can't get mine to the drop that you have, how did you get your's to that no gap look?

Last edited by BigBlue; 05-14-2015 at 12:45 PM.
Old 05-14-2015 | 09:12 AM
stogey420time
Club Moderator
the Hot Spot

Blue - I took out the lock collar (iirc) plus my wheel/tire setup differ than yours maybe why we don't have the same drop... look wise. Your car looks good none the less.
Old 05-14-2015 | 09:21 AM
guitman32

I have a set of PSS rear springs that have been cut for more drop in the FS Section...you guys should check it out, priced to sell!

https://my350z.com/forum/suspension/...r-springs.html
Old 05-14-2015 | 12:50 PM
BuiltZ33

Originally Posted by stogey420time
Phenom pretty much summed it up. If you're looking to slam your car, you shouldn't consider Bilstein. I was dead set on Stance coilovers but wanted something with better quality, track proven and impeccable warranty - lifetime! Pic of my car below, the rear is maxed out and the front got more room to go but not necessary because I'm going for the race car drop and not hellaflush/poke drop.

Love your setup man, looks good! But as for a poke/flush setup would you suggest any? I'm really looking for a nice adjustable coilovers where I can sit it quite low, but still have good handling and like you said, a good warranty.
Old 05-14-2015 | 02:26 PM
stogey420time
Club Moderator
the Hot Spot

Most coilover system offer a 2 year warranty. Only KW and Bilstein offer lifetime warranty if I'm not mistaken.
Old 05-18-2015 | 12:58 PM
RyankPeck

Default SPL rear mid links with uncut springs??

Hey this may be a noob question but I still need to know so sorry for my ignorance.
I'm looking to get spl rear mid links to correct my toe problem because as most of you know Z's have a tendency to get a lot of camber as you make them lower. I corrected the camber as much as possible with adjustable camber arms which obviously resulted in a crazy amount of toe. So to correct this I need the mid links.
My question is that it looks like you can only use cut springs (flattened) with these mid links. Seen below

Although, I've been trying to find swift springs that are flattened but on their site, they look like they only sell them unflattened. Seen below

So if anyone has experience with the midlinks and can tell me if I'm missing something that'd be awesome. Or if someone knows how to find flattened swift springs for our car that'd also be awesome.
ps. I'm assuming there is a word for it other than flattened but I don't know what it's called
Thanks for any help!
Old 05-18-2015 | 06:05 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier Member

http://www.swiftsprings.net/products...r-springs.html is what we run
Old 05-19-2015 | 05:11 AM
Phenom
Toasty

Love your setup man, looks good! But as for a poke/flush setup would you suggest any? I'm really looking for a nice adjustable coilovers where I can sit it quite low, but still have good handling and like you said, a good warranty.
Stance or BC. Handling and quality won't be as good as KW, Bilstein, H&R, etc. though
Old 05-19-2015 | 06:13 AM
RyankPeck

Thanks terrasmak!

Last edited by RyankPeck; 05-19-2015 at 01:07 PM.

Quick Reply: Suspension 101