Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Somebody please HELP: Springs, shocks, sways installed today and something is wrong!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 04:02 PM
sfearl1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Somebody please HELP: Springs, shocks, sways installed today and something is wrong!

All,

I dropped my car off on friday to have springs, shocks and sways installed and also get an alignment. I picked the car up today, owner of the shop said everything went smoothly. The only 'problem' they had was that they were unable to get the front back into spec but it wasn't out by much. Everything seemed fine on the way home, springs were a bit stiffer than stock but nothing out of the ordinary. I was almost home when I first heard what sounded like a rubbing noise coming from the front. Parked the car in a lot and got down to take a peek and nothing looked out of place. I got back in, did a few slow figure eights and the noise became more prominent. It ONLY happens when the clutch is engaged and I'm giving the car gas. When I let the car coast I hear absolutely nothing. What could this be?

FYI the parts installed were all brand new:
Koni "Yellow" Sports Struts
RS-R Ti2000 "Down" Springs
Motordyne Adjustable Sway Bars

If anybody has any clue to what this is please chime in. I'm afraid I'll do some kind of damage if I drive the car back out to the shop, which is a 30-45 minute trip.
Old 05-10-2010, 04:11 PM
AznSky

Did you check if the springs are contacting anything? Or the shock boots?

rubbing is from the front or rear?
Old 05-10-2010, 04:19 PM
sfearl1

The rubbing is coming from the front (maybe only front left, but I didn't want to drive the car long enough to figure out exactly where). From what I can see, it doesn't look like the tire is rubbing the fender wall at all. Again, the noise was only there when the clutch was engaged and I was giving it gas. When I was rolling at about 10-20mph with the clutch out and in neutral, there was no noise.
Old 05-10-2010, 05:18 PM
AznSky

giving gas part makes me think the suspension is cycling a little cuz the rear of the car squats under load.

so like I mentioned, check your shocks/springs for any contact
Old 05-10-2010, 05:52 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,681 Posts

How aggressive is your wheel and tire selection? Post wheel width, offset and tire sizes please.
Old 05-10-2010, 05:53 PM
Z1NONLY

Received 95 Likes on 61 Posts

Is the sound louder when turning? If so, what direction?
Old 05-10-2010, 06:10 PM
sfearl1

tires are 255/40/18 in front, 275/40/18 in the rear, 18x9.5 +20 all around...

I honestly couldn't tell you if the turning made a difference... maybe? Like I said, I noticed the noise, drove to a parking lot, did about 5 or so figure eights, then made my way home. It did seem to get worse/get louder as I was driving on it if that means anything...

I'm worried a bolt, nut, etc was loose or left out and something is not sitting correctly. That or a piece of the fender wall housing is not overlapped/seated correctly and is coming in contact with something.

Last edited by sfearl1; 05-10-2010 at 06:20 PM.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:19 PM
skakemokid

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

18x19.5 +20

^Well here's your problem...
Just jack up the car and see if you see any wear marks.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:22 PM
Z1NONLY

If something is rubbing, it should leave some sort of mark.

Maybe get the car in the air with the front wheels off and have a closer look?

Without hearing the sound, I can't formulate a good guess at the cause.

If it's happening at slow speeds, go to a parking lot and have a friend stand outside the car and listen, as you drive by and listen.

I once walked next to a friends Z through a middle school entrance (with speed bumps) so we could find a clunking noise. (This was a big help and we had the car fixed less than 30 minutes later.)

Last edited by Z1NONLY; 05-10-2010 at 06:24 PM.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:25 PM
sfearl1

Originally Posted by skakemokid
18x19.5 +20

^Well here's your problem...
Just jack up the car and see if you see any wear marks.
lol sorry, typo... 18x9.5 +20 all around. Where are you suggesting there be wear marks at, the tires? With the mild drop the RS-R's give, and the moderate offset and size of the wheels, I'm pretty confident they are not rubbing... although I could be wrong. But I'm pretty sure I'd hear the tires rub upon braking. That's not the case. The noise starts at the very littlest of gas when the clutch is engaged. NOT while the car is in neutral and I'm giving it gas, only when it's in gear.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:28 PM
Z1NONLY

Originally Posted by sfearl1
lol sorry, typo... 18x9.5 +20 all around. Where are you suggesting there be wear marks at, the tires? With the mild drop the RS-R's give, and the moderate offset and size of the wheels, I'm pretty confident they are not rubbing... although I could be wrong. But I'm pretty sure I'd hear the tires rub upon braking. That's not the case. The noise starts at the very littlest of gas when the clutch is engaged. NOT while the car is in neutral and I'm giving it gas, only when it's in gear.
Check and see if your strut tower bar is making contact with the motor. They had to take this off to do the shocks/spring and may have tightened the bar from side to side.

The stock strut tower bar can be tightened (from left to right) so much that it will make contact (and noise) under throttle. (first-hand experience)

Last edited by Z1NONLY; 05-10-2010 at 06:37 PM.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:31 PM
skakemokid

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I meant wear marks on the liners and other stuff in the wheel wells, wont hurt to look.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:37 PM
sfearl1

Originally Posted by Z1NONLY
Check and see if your strut tower bar is making contact with the motor. They had to take this off to do the shocks/spring and may have tightened the bar from side to side.

The stock strut tower bar can be tightened (from left to right) so much that it will make contact under throttle. (first-hand experience)
hmmm... did not think of this. I really hope that's the problem, although when I installed the MREV2 and MD plenum spacer myself there was a bit of clearance left. Kinda hard to imagine they tightened it down that much... I'm going to go out and check now, be back in a bit.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:40 PM
Z1NONLY

Originally Posted by sfearl1
hmmm... did not think of this. I really hope that's the problem, although when I installed the MREV2 and MD plenum spacer myself there was a bit of clearance left. Kinda hard to imagine they tightened it down that much... I'm going to go out and check now, be back in a bit.
GL.

If it looks close, I would take the bar off and do a short test drive.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:50 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,681 Posts

If you get a rub its the rear tires, i know that 9.5 +15 will rub depending on camber setting. The amount of rub will be really freaking light on the outside of the tire.

Actually thinking about it , the front could rub too, mine was 9.5 +15 front with 255's and i slightly rubbed the screw that holds the fender liner in, and i had -1.5 front camber at the time. YOu have less front camber, but 5mm less offset.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:53 PM
sfearl1

This very well could be the culprit... I was very precise when I removed the bar for the plenum work (marked original spots on nuts, etc) and when I put it back on I was able to slide a ballpoint pen under the 3 spots that would potentially contact the upper plenum. Just checked and it's laying almost on top of it now so they definitely tightened the crap outta it. There's probably an 1/8th of an inch clearance, maybe less at the low points. I'll have to wait until tomorrow to remove it and take her for a spin.

Thanks for the troubleshooting guys, I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow morning.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:02 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The clutch has nothing to do with suspension.

Your mechanic will have to take a look. I suspect that you are rubbing a tire against something.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:09 PM
sfearl1

right, but isn't the engine under more load when the entire drivetrain is engaged?

i am probably being overly optimistic that the strut bar is the problem

Last edited by sfearl1; 05-10-2010 at 08:11 PM.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:19 AM
sfearl1

problem resolved. it was the strut bar having a clearance issue with the upper plenum.

thank you all for the troubleshooting efforts and Z1 for nailing it on the head
Old 05-11-2010, 10:20 AM
heathrichardson

Glad to see it was so easily resolved and good to kno for when I do mine over the weekend.

Quick Reply: Somebody please HELP: Springs, shocks, sways installed today and something is wrong!