Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Bilstein PSS10 install help, pics inside

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 04:41 PM
Ziggyrama

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bilstein PSS10 install help, pics inside

Hey guys,

So I obtained a set of Bilstein PSS10 coilovers from Z1 couple of weeks ago. Normally, I'd do this install myself but my time is really in short supply right now so I took the car to my mechanic and had him take a crack at installing the coilovers.

Well, turns out the install isn't so obvious. PSS10s require reuse of the stock top hats and the instructions that I pulled down from Bilstein web site are not clear as to how they are supposed to be fitted on the shock. Below is a picture of the front and rear shock and relevant parts that I have to contend with during install, how I think it should be put together and some questions. Please help me sort this out.

FRONT:

- #1 is the thread where the adjustment **** (not in picture) is mounted on. Lock nuts #6 and #7 go on #1 and the **** sits on top of it.

- #2 is the thread where locks nuts #8 and #9 go

- #10 is the boot that hangs freely below lock nuts #8 & #9. It tends to rest on the part where the shiny part of the shaft starts which is #3.

- #4 sits on top of #5 which I believe is the bump stop that slides but and down the shaft as the piston moves.

Question: where does the top hat go? Does it go below or above lock nuts #8 & #9 or in between? Should it go all the way down as far as it can against #3 where boot #10 rests?

Question: Is the metal plate #4 supposed to be hanging loose on top of #5? Won't it just jingle and rattle around when driving?

REAR:

- #3 is just a metal plate that slides up and down the shaft where thread #1 is.

- #2 is a nut that secures the top hat to the shock.

Question: does the top hat go above or below #3?
Old 06-07-2010, 06:45 AM
Ziggyrama

250+ views and no responses. I was hoping someone would know.
Old 06-07-2010, 07:52 AM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

From https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-...-over-kit.html

"The installation is not very smooth, since the instructions come with the box is actually for the PSS9, I have to called Bilstein to email the correct instruction to me. (Bilstein Tech support is very friendly and helpful, they answered my call right away and willing to help me out ++) I had a problem installing the front stock upper mounts, since the instuctions stated I will need to put the upper mounts below the adjustment ***** and on top of the bottom lock nuts. It doesnt make any sense to me. So I called Bilstein again and they told me to put it under the second lock nuts. Everything works fine after that."

FRONT:
Beyond that, I think I know what part 6 is, my Pss9 did not come with that.

Based on how you number the parts on the front and relating you how my Pss9 went together.

From the bottom of the piston shaft working up
upper shock mount
9 (torque to spec)
8 (hand torque, DO NOT use alot of pressue, set nut has next to no surface area)
7 (spin down shaft to perhaps 1/2" above part 8)
6 (guessing here, spin down shaft just above part 7)

Move assembly to car and bolt on via the upper shock mount, do not worry about installing the lower control arm to the bottom shock mount at this time.

install asjustment system making sure if function's like it's supposed to
spin up 6 and 7 to lock adjustment system in place, recheck adjustment system function, asjust as needed.

REAR:

Working from the bottom up
Oem upper shock mount, assembiled EXACTLY like it came off your oem rear shock
Torque to spec
Old 06-07-2010, 08:55 AM
Ziggyrama

Fantastic info. That makes perfect sense, especially in the front. The top hat will lock the boot in place against the lip, #3. Then it's just a matter of installing the assembly in the car and reinstalling the adjustment ****. Awesome! Help greatly appreciated.

Originally Posted by Gsedan35
From https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-...-over-kit.html

"The installation is not very smooth, since the instructions come with the box is actually for the PSS9, I have to called Bilstein to email the correct instruction to me. (Bilstein Tech support is very friendly and helpful, they answered my call right away and willing to help me out ++) I had a problem installing the front stock upper mounts, since the instuctions stated I will need to put the upper mounts below the adjustment ***** and on top of the bottom lock nuts. It doesnt make any sense to me. So I called Bilstein again and they told me to put it under the second lock nuts. Everything works fine after that."

FRONT:
Beyond that, I think I know what part 6 is, my Pss9 did not come with that.

Based on how you number the parts on the front and relating you how my Pss9 went together.

From the bottom of the piston shaft working up
upper shock mount
9 (torque to spec)
8 (hand torque, DO NOT use alot of pressue, set nut has next to no surface area)
7 (spin down shaft to perhaps 1/2" above part 8)
6 (guessing here, spin down shaft just above part 7)

Move assembly to car and bolt on via the upper shock mount, do not worry about installing the lower control arm to the bottom shock mount at this time.

install asjustment system making sure if function's like it's supposed to
spin up 6 and 7 to lock adjustment system in place, recheck adjustment system function, asjust as needed.

REAR:

Working from the bottom up
Oem upper shock mount, assembiled EXACTLY like it came off your oem rear shock
Torque to spec
Old 06-14-2010, 09:52 AM
Dblock55

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

when adjusting the spring plates for the front, how high can the plates sit on the body?? the threading is pretty long and i doubt they go that high, where do you measure from??