Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Cross threaded caliper bolt

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 10:15 PM
Naoh_97

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cross threaded caliper bolt

Hello fellow 350 owners, unfortunately this is my first thread on the forum although Iv been lurking since I bought my new 05 track edition earlier this summer. I know I still need to do an intro thread Im a slacker Ill get to it later.

Back on point; I was replacing my front wheel bearing today and was wrapping up putting everything back on and managed to crossthread one of the two main bolts that hold the caliper to the hub. I dont know how it happened, I hand tightened the bolt several threads just as usual and then put on the ratchet and went to work. Didnt experience much resistance so I just when ton my merry way until it started to tighten up for a couple turns. I saw the socket flush with the hub and assumed it was almost fully tightened so tightened a little more, but when I pulled it off I realized the socket had slipped further on and the bolt still had another 1/4" maybe to be tightened. Thought this was odd with how tight it was the last turn so I disassembled everything and low and behold I managed to cross thread like 2/3 of the bolt. Fantastic, I guess I dont know my own strength but thats where things are now.

My question for you is whats next? I have at least 2/3 of usable undamaged threads and the bolt is completely unscathed. Can I go in from the other side with the undamaged threads and push it through the misaligned threads hopefully not completely destroying them in the process (I realize thats a long shot but it would be the easiest so what the hell Ill throw it out there). Can I retap from the side with good threading? Iv only had to do this a few times in all the cars Iv worked on so Im a novice. Iv heard of a tapered tap and it seems like a viable option but again I dont really know what Im doing in this area. After a little research Iv discovered Time Serts and they seem like a great solution but thats basically last resort as this is my DD and waiting to get in parts to get it back on the road would suck. So possibly a temp solution while I wait on the time serts? lmk guys, thanks in advance.

Last edited by Naoh_97; 08-16-2010 at 10:18 PM.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:17 PM
Naoh_97

sorry, tried to edit it for my terrible spelling and so it wasnt a wall o text..lol. hopefully thats readable.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:28 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,681 Posts

New bolt and thread tap, see what happens
Old 08-17-2010, 06:50 AM
zaperroni

Originally Posted by terrasmak
New bolt and thread tap, see what happens
+1, you can get both at your local hardware store
Old 08-17-2010, 07:42 AM
betamotorsports

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Timesert. http://www.timesert.com/
Old 08-18-2010, 10:38 AM
Naoh_97

^^^^ ya, but as I mentioned waiting for it to ship and get in was the last option for me. I ended up buying a 14mm tap with 1.5 thread if anyone ever does the same thing and needs to know what tap to get. I was able to pick up the threading from the side that was still undamaged and the bolt whent back in nice and smoothly this time. Now I just gotta hope they will let me return the 50pc metric tap and die set I bought because it was the only one at any of the 5 stores I whent to that had that large a tap. Thanks for the help everyone, shes back on the road and no more bearing noise now so the ride is nice and smooth again.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:42 AM
Naoh_97

also meant to mention: I just re used the same bolt, they are hardened steel so its threads were still perfect, it had just jacked up the aluminum threads in the caliper.

Last edited by Naoh_97; 08-18-2010 at 10:44 AM.