Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Question for the adjustable camber arm pro's - swaybar - track settings

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 03:17 PM
kwadell

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question for the adjustable camber arm pro's - swaybar - track settings

A question for those that track their Z's. I got my adjustable camber arms earlier this year and have been experimenting with the settings. The last time out I tried bumping the camber from -2.0 to -2.5 degrees and I can't believe how different the handling was. -2.0 was great, fixed some nasty tire wear and the balance of the car still felt good. When I went to -2.5 deg the Z got really loose so I backed off. I'm assuming the front was picking up a lot more traction and got loose. I backed off. I've got my last 3 track days at Putnam this Fri, Sat, and Sun. I went back to -2.5 degree and stiffened up my adjustable Hotchkis sway bar by 1 hole. I'm hoping I'll get the front grip again and tightening up the front sway bar should balance the car out. Does that make sense to the pro's or did I go to far with the -2.5 degrees? (Stock ride height, RE011 tires) Thanks.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:52 AM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Full stiff in the front and med in the rear on the bar settings, the idea is to help give you more traction in the rear to roll into the throttle earlier then would otherwise be possible.

On camber settings, you really need to purchase a tire pyrometer. Since your not on R compound tires don't be surprised that higher cambers settings don't pay off. Getting a pyrometer will let you know how the car is using the settings and how to change them for the better. And remember, it's what the temps tell you, not what anyone else sets their car too. Curious, are you running toe out in the front and toe in on the rear?

http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/c...cre_Pyrometers

Last edited by Gsedan35; 10-26-2010 at 09:54 AM.
Old 10-26-2010, 04:15 PM
kwadell

I'm running the factory toe with the -2.5 camber setting. With those sway bar settings that isn't changing the balance of the car much from factory is it? I don't have the numbers in front of me but I'm trying to dial in a more neutral handling characteristic. It was pretty good prior to the camber change hitting -2.5 deg. It's like it fell off a cliff between -2 and -2.5. I'll have to look into the pyrometer. I've been judging most of it by tire wear and it looks like I can still dial in a bit more camber. I just want to get the handling back to a more neutral characteristic to help rotate the car through the corners. I thought with the tightest in the front and middle in the rear that won't drive more neutral handling will it?
Old 10-30-2010, 04:57 AM
guitman32

Received 108 Likes on 90 Posts

You said in your OP that when you went to -2.5 in the front, the car got loose. I assume you mean oversteer increased after the change, correct? If so, I would not stiffen your front bars to correct this situation as this might decrease your effective front grip unecessarily. I would prefer to loosen the rear bar to see if you can settle the rear down, as Gsedan suggested.

Also, if you're already meddling with camber for track use, consider modifying your toe settings as well. They can effect noticeable changes in handling dynamics.
Old 10-31-2010, 04:20 PM
kwadell

Just got back from 3 days at Putnam. I ended up stiffening the front and that helped a ton. The car was still a bit loose (yes, oversteer) but it was tough to tell since the track was so darn cold in the mornings. It was around 35 deg F in the mornings. I hung with those settings and as it warmed up the handling was really neutral with a slight bit of oversteer but great with the -2.5 deg camber. Next time I'll try softening up the rear instead of stiffening the front. Tire wear was perfect. I didn't think I lost any traction up front from stiffening the front sway bar. Love these SPL V2 adjustable camber arms.