Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Help with suspension decision

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 12:12 AM
afwiggith

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with suspension decision

So I'm currently researching the different options I have, but I'm having trouble deciding what exactly I need to get, so I figure I'll ask all of you people who are smarter than me.

I want to get a set of coilovers for my 2003 Touring Edition. I also want to get the UCA and rear toe arms so that I can adjust camber and toe on all 4 tires, I'm not so worried about caster, but camber and toe are needed for sure. I would like them to be height adjustable and also be able to adjust the damping and rebound (seperately or at the same time, either way.)

My Z is my daily driver, but will see occasional track use and autocrosses. I have a total budget for all of this of about $2000. If I have to go over that a little bit than I'm ok with that, but I'd like to keep it under 2 grand. Any advice that anybody can give me would be much appreciated.
Old 03-05-2011, 01:17 AM
tyau

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you daily driver your car and don't want to spend over $2000, you may consider upgrading front transverse link and compression rod bushings, new shocks, some mild springs, adjustable endlinks, and a front tower bar. This setup will maintain ride comfort while drastically improving handling and solving some of the issues associated with the factory bushings. Remember, stiff spring rates found on coilovers or sway bars may reduce body roll, but may not offer you the balance of durability and comfort on the street. Overly stiff spring rates may make handling worse in street conditions.

Don't get me wrong. I use coilovers on my track cars that I also daily drive. But it seems that too many people think that achieving good handling is as simple as using very stiff springs or sway bars.
Old 03-06-2011, 01:03 PM
afwiggith

Thanks for the reply tyau. The only problem with the shocks and springs is the adjustability that I'm looking for. That's pretty important for me so I can vary my setup depending on what kind of driving I'm doing. Just around town and things like that I don't mind a little bit rougher ride if it means that my handling is better during spirited driving, but I also make a 1000 mile road trip pretty regularly, and I'd rather have the smooth ride during that situation. And of course, a stiffer setup for autocrosses, track days, etc.

I've been doing some more research, and I think I have a good combination that I'd like you to take a look at and tell me what you think. Stance GR+ True Type coilovers, Kinetix front upper control arms for keeping my camber alignment, and Battle Version rear camber and toe arms so I can keep my alignment right. Since that put me in under my budget, I'm also considering a set of Hotchkis sway bars front and rear.

Any opinions from tyau or anybody else on that set up?
Old 03-06-2011, 04:57 PM
tyau

If adjustability is what you are after, then the Stance GR+ is a very good option. The quality is decent and the price fits exactly in your budget. But with a $2000 budget you're not going to have much more for the adjustable arms that you may need.

Depending on the alignment setting you want, you may not need adjustable arms for camber adjustment. Rear camber arms may be what you need. There are many to choose from out there. I personally like the Stance rear camber arms with the Auora bearings. SPL is also great.

Seeing that your car is the 2003 model, you may want to replace both the compression rod bushings and the lower control arm bushings. These are known to go bad very easily. However, you may get away without replacing them if they do not show signs of damage and if you are not experiencing any unbearable noises from the front end.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:05 PM
tyau

Speaking of compression rod and front lower control arm bushings, make sure you find a shop that is capable of doing the installation before you commit to buying them. I couldn't find a shop that could install it because none of them have the correct tubings to press them in.

So I may have to buy my own press. I got a hold of a cool fellow my350z'er who may be able to lend me his sockets. But I haven't heard from him since last week, so I am really stuck. I am not really liking the idea of driving 2hrs to a metal shop to spend $180 on 20 feet of DOM tubings just to do a bushing install...
Old 03-06-2011, 08:49 PM
afwiggith

So far all of my bushings are fine. I inspected them before my car got covered up for the winter and nothing was torn and I'm not hearing anything evil from the front end.

I was able to find all of the things I need for the alignment (front upper control arms, rear camber arms, rear toe arms) that, combined with the coilovers, put me in at about 1800 dollars, which is pretty well within my budget. I'm sure shipping will add to that, but that's not really a big deal. Luckily, I also don't have to pay a lot for installation, I only have to pay about $30 for some help to get it all installed...the price of 2 cases of beer for my dad and my best friend