Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

SPL compression arm bushing noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 04:02 PM
Row2K

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

i give up on these. I've pressed them the first time around when they started making noise, got the rubber o-ring, reinstalled them, and then some 2 weeks later its back to the same **** of loud as f#@k banging. Reinstalling OEM bushings this weekend. Bottom line is that these are a poor design for what they are advertised to be/do.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:58 PM
Swiffer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get them machined. I have them on mine and havent noticed any noise.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:20 PM
Row2K

you mean machine the cones?
Old 03-17-2012, 07:31 AM
Swiffer

Yes. When I bought mine, they offered to machine the cores to allow for the full range of motion without the noise:

Old 03-17-2012, 12:33 PM
Row2K

I'll have to give them another call and find out if I can buy the cones separately and just swap them into the bushings. Are you still getting occasional noise or are they pretty much silent at this point? I really DONT want to give up on them but its just getting ridiculous, having the car sound like it'll fall apart is not worth the tiny fraction of better steering feel.
Old 03-17-2012, 03:27 PM
Swiffer

Im not hearing anything from the front suspension anymore. I had a nasty clunk from my old arms due to a worn ball joint.
Old 03-17-2012, 04:32 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,681 Posts

Originally Posted by Row2K
i give up on these. I've pressed them the first time around when they started making noise, got the rubber o-ring, reinstalled them, and then some 2 weeks later its back to the same **** of loud as f#@k banging. Reinstalling OEM bushings this weekend. Bottom line is that these are a poor design for what they are advertised to be/do.
What do you mean, they are race quality parts that do not tear or deflect like the OEM bushings.

With my pickup points level, and preload removed from sway bar, mine only clunk once and a great while.
Old 03-17-2012, 05:14 PM
SoCal07HR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by terrasmak
What do you mean, they are race quality parts that do not tear or deflect like the OEM bushings.

With my pickup points level, and preload removed from sway bar, mine only clunk once and a great while.
I have mine set up the same way (no preload, arms level) and I only get the clunk every now and then, usually over very rough roads.
Old 06-16-2012, 02:04 PM
Jairen

So I installed a set of these bushings...

Holy clunks! I drove about 5 miles, drove back and put it back on the lift. I checked, rechecked, torqued everything down again and still had noise. Sound was more audible from the passenger side. It was loud bangs instead of clunks. Sounded like the whole suspension was loose.

I gave up and put the OEM bushings back in. Waste of a day. Luckily, I have an extra set of compression rods so the install and re-install was easy, since I have access to a lift. My OEM bushings aren't that bad and look intact upon close inspection.

Upon doing some research at the shop with the trusty iPad, I noticed that my set didn't have the rubber o-rings. Not sure how much of a factor those bushings will make.

Last edited by Jairen; 06-16-2012 at 02:07 PM.
Old 06-16-2012, 02:38 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by Jairen

Holy clunks! I drove about 5 miles, drove back and put it back on the lift. I checked, rechecked, torqued everything down again and still had noise. Sound was more audible from the passenger side. It was loud bangs instead of clunks. Sounded like the whole suspension was loose.

I gave up and put the OEM bushings back in. Waste of a day. Luckily, I have an extra set of compression rods so the install and re-install was easy, since I have access to a lift. My OEM bushings aren't that bad and look intact upon close inspection.

Upon doing some research at the shop with the trusty iPad, I noticed that my set didn't have the rubber o-rings. Not sure how much of a factor those bushings will make.
Do you have adjustable end links, preload removed?
Old 06-16-2012, 02:53 PM
Jairen

Originally Posted by terrasmak
Do you have adjustable end links, preload removed?
Stock endlinks.
Old 06-16-2012, 03:08 PM
ALO8

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

are your cone spacer machined?
Old 06-16-2012, 03:26 PM
Jairen

Originally Posted by xxxlino
are your cone spacer machined?
Not that I know of. Was there something I needed to do?
Old 06-16-2012, 03:59 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Stock endlinks.
Preload on the bar will cause a clunk, the clunk is no big deal , can only be heard inside the car.
Old 07-22-2012, 01:56 PM
Swiffer

So, its been a few months since I've had mine installed and the clunking has returned. I noticed that the poly ring has stretched out an no longer absorbing any of the impact. Is it normal to have this much play in the arm?

http://youtu.be/D9eb6b6p06I
Old 07-22-2012, 02:05 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by Swiffer
So, its been a few months since I've had mine installed and the clunking has returned. I noticed that the poly ring has stretched out an no longer absorbing any of the impact. Is it normal to have this much play in the arm?

http://youtu.be/D9eb6b6p06I
No play in the arm was shown in your vid.
Old 07-22-2012, 02:13 PM
Swiffer

What I meant was the ability to move the arm to produce the noise. I'm guessing its normal for it to move like that with no load on the suspension?
Old 07-22-2012, 02:21 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by Swiffer
What I meant was the ability to move the arm to produce the noise. I'm guessing its normal for it to move like that with no load on the suspension?
Even with a load they are free floating with zero bind. That is what makes them so good for track use.
Old 07-22-2012, 02:27 PM
Swiffer

Ok, just wanted to make sure it was normal and that the ball joint wasnt too worn out, which is what caused the original clunking on my OEM arms. I can live with the noise as long as its not broken Thanks
Old 07-25-2012, 01:17 PM
starvinmrvn

Every time someone new rides in my car their eyes get big as I hit a bump...The rubber "o-ring" did nothing to quiet my noise. I just got over it.

Quick Reply: SPL compression arm bushing noise