Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Suspension Problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 07:16 AM
xelaremnarc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension Problems

Hey guys, im not much of a mechanic so I will try to explain what is going on as best as I can. I installed KW V1s on my car about 2 years ago. I also have camber adjustment bars on the rear.

I decided it was time to put my volks on for the spring, but I did have the stocks on before and it was driving fine. Got the volks on, everything looks good. Then I got in the car to start it up and pull it out, and I hear a rubbing noise.

The fender was basically resting on the tire. So I took the wheel off, put it back on, and looks perfect again, then once I sit in the car, it pushes down and doesn't seem to rebound back up again. Its just on the passenger side as well, the drivers side remains at the correct height.

I am not a suspension genius so I really don't know what the problem is. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

edit: I don't think I specified above, it is the passenger side REAR that I am having problems with.

Last edited by xelaremnarc; 04-23-2011 at 08:04 AM.
Old 04-23-2011, 07:51 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,681 Posts

Sounds like you bought the wrong offset wheel.
Old 04-23-2011, 08:03 AM
xelaremnarc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nah, they are 19" Volk ce28ns with a +22 offset. I have been running them in the summer for the past 2 years with no problems at all.

It seems like something is loose and not holding, because when i put the wheels on it is set correctly, and wont rub, but then as soon as I sit in it, it sinks down on the passenger side only. The drivers side stays where its supposed to.
Old 04-23-2011, 08:53 AM
winchman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Jack the car up and switch the coilovers left to right. If the problem moves with the right side coilover (the left side rubs after the switch), something is wrong with the coilover.

You may be able to spot the defect while you've got them off the car. There's a slight possibility the problem is with the mounting point for the right side coilover at the top of the wheel well.

Last edited by winchman; 04-23-2011 at 08:54 AM.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:51 PM
JDMStanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My stance gr+ True style is starting to make creeking, clicking and popping noise hahhahahah
Old 04-24-2011, 01:02 PM
winchman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You need to keep in mind that using coilovers puts the weight of the car on the shock absorber mounting points. That's not what they were designed for, so don't be surprised if they don't hold up well.

If you don't follow the SM instructions when tightening the bolt that holds the lower end of the shock absorber to the bushing on the rear axle housing, you can damage the bushing. Once that happens, it'll wear out pretty quickly.
Old 04-24-2011, 03:20 PM
beezee

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Best thing to do is what OP said: Switch the coilovers. My understanding is you had the Volks on before and it worked. Then you took them off to probably store the car for winter. The wheels should have nothing to do with the problem.