Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

How to fix uneven caster??

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 03:43 PM
paulpoca2003

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to fix uneven caster??

Hey guys I just got an alignment done today at firestone. After the alignment the car feels great but I noticed on the printout that I have uneven caster......... I think it's 6.8 on the left and 7.6 on the right. Do you guys think the uneven caster's going to cause any problem?? Anyone knows how to adjust it on the SPC camber kits??

Thanks guys
Old 05-20-2011, 08:24 PM
red on black

I wouldnt really worry about man,im not sure what the oem specs are,maybe contact the dealership near you for specs but usually caster should be lower on the left to keep the car going straight(for the crown of the road) and the way you adjust it with the spc is with the spacers you get with the kit,so there not really that much adjustments really,its a reletively cheap setup,and it show compared to spl or other brands that have inner threaded bushings,ive heard they can also trow an abs code because the spacers go between the spindle and bearing i think,it can trow off the tone wheel and frigs up the sensors ability to read the tone wheel,anyways so yeah i would wry about 1 degree of difference,but others might say different i dont know,all i do is heavy truck alignments so what do i know
Old 05-20-2011, 09:52 PM
JDMStanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my car always pulls to the right with new alignments, SPL compression arm bushings and stock a arms. I used to have SPC a arms with close caster number side to side but still pulled to the right. This is BULLSH!T!
Old 05-20-2011, 11:08 PM
winchman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Caster specs from '07 SM:
Minimum 7° 25′ (7.42°)
Nominal 8° 10′ (8.17°)
Maximum 8° 55′ (8.92°)
Left and right difference 45′ (0.75°)

It could be different for your year.
Old 05-20-2011, 11:44 PM
Barnabas
National Z Club President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JDMStanced
my car always pulls to the right with new alignments, SPL compression arm bushings and stock a arms. I used to have SPC a arms with close caster number side to side but still pulled to the right. This is BULLSH!T!
you have coilovers?? a corner balance would probably fix your issue. I have no pulling whatsoever on my car.
Old 05-20-2011, 11:55 PM
JDMStanced

it pulled to the right before i installed coilover. After coilover installation and corner balance, it still pulls.

srsly a BS lol
Old 05-22-2011, 05:29 AM
red on black

it pulled to the right before i installed coilover. After coilover installation and corner balance, it still pulls.

srsly a BS lol
you could have another issue being overlooked usually you want a bit more camber on the left and a bit less caster on the left,thats to keep you going straight,race alignment i dont know what people set there specs to

but usually the saying goes like this: camber high caster low thats the way shes gonna go

check your alignment sheets,also check your tires,if they are not wearing correctly you could have a tire pull,with rack and pinion you can have one wheel being true and the other can be toe in or out

if you feel the tire with your hand from outside in and it feels like its gripping the inside of your hand its toe out and if its feels like its gripping on your hand when going from inside out its toe in,you problly know this but just trying to help

also check transverse rod bushings,maybe you have a bad tie rod that is hard to see???
Old 05-22-2011, 06:06 AM
JDMStanced

i may have thread jacked . sry
After about three different alignment fixes from different places, it still pulls to the right.
my only suspect would be bent tie rod and transverse bushing you mentioned.
OEM tie rods must be weak sauce.
IIRC, during autox, there was difference in feeling between steering hard to the left and steering to the right.
Not to mention that my brother's stock g35 also pulls to the right. i'm almost in the state where i think that Japanese cars pull to the right. People who have their cars drive straight as an arrow, are hell of lucky guys lol
Old 05-22-2011, 06:46 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,681 Posts

I think mine drives straight, the only prob is as soon as the road surface is uneven the car followes. So between the wind (yes we have plenty of wind here) and screwed up road (plenty of them too) my car is always pulling. Just has no set direction of pull.
Old 05-22-2011, 06:56 AM
winchman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Caster affects steering effort, steering stability, and how the wheels returns to straight ahead. You probably wouldn't notice the effect on effort in normal driving with power steering, but the other two effects of improper caster might be noticeable.
Old 05-24-2011, 05:26 AM
red on black

i may have thread jacked . sry
After about three different alignment fixes from different places, it still pulls to the right.
my only suspect would be bent tie rod and transverse bushing you mentioned.
OEM tie rods must be weak sauce.
IIRC, during autox, there was difference in feeling between steering hard to the left and steering to the right.
Not to mention that my brother's stock g35 also pulls to the right. i'm almost in the state where i think that Japanese cars pull to the right. People who have their cars drive straight as an arrow, are hell of lucky guys lol
I wouldnt call it tread jack since this is actually very relevant to the op subject,it could help clear some alignment misunderstandings he might have whenever he logs back in

anyways if you have it pulling to the right all the time you can check if you have anything that seem out of place but its real hard to tell sometimes(most of the time impossible) but maybe you could see something,i dont know if a bent tie rod would really cause it but if you would check your first alignment sheet you could see,if there is one side that is wayyyyyyyy out compared to the other it could be a factor,also when you turn try and notice if you have a squeaky sound,you could have a tie rod starting to seize up and could be binding its really hard to tell what could be wrong,alignment is easy as pie once you know how to read the charts and printouts and actually know what each number mean and how it affects the car but when you run into to problems beleive it or not it can get harder to satisfie an unhappy customer than to rebuild an engine,trust me lol.Getting a vehicle within alignment specs is not hard,when they have a pull then you have to figure if its still alignment causing the problem or if its just tire pull etc,vibrations are also the worst lol,can take alot of time to fix all them problems,really requires a guy to sit and think.I do heavy truck alignments so its a bit diffrent but all in all its the same theory

im teh done talking fo nawww

hopefully im helping you out and you find your problem man
Old 06-21-2011, 03:26 PM
juanmotime06

You most likely have a bent control arm. My driver side caster is off as well and its because my lower control arm is bent. My car also pulls to the left.