Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Alignment question (camber)

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 06:11 PM
sry110

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Alignment question (camber)

I was installing my rear coilovers tonight and attempted to install my adjustable rear camber arms but ran into the problem of having to remove the sway bar to get the cam bolt out. The problem is, I did not take note of the bolt's position before messing around with it, so now I'm pretty sure my alignment (at least camber) is out of whack. For now, I positioned the bolt to provide the most positive camber possible. I only got one side done tonight, and plan to do the other side tomorrow (will not be driving it in the meantime). If I set the other side cam bolt the same way, will I be alright driving from a safety standpoint? I know the angles will be out of whack and cause uneven tire wear, but I plan to get an alignment within the next 2 weeks so I'm really just concerned about safety.

FYI I plan to have my shop install the camber arms and toe bolts before they do my alignment.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:00 PM
Chi-TownWarrior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With adjustable camber arms you don't need to worry about the bolts. As a matter of fact you should take the bolts out of the equation and get lock out washers. JasonZ-Ya makes them and they are fairly inexpensive. Installing the arms alone will take everything out of alignment anyways. Adding adjustable camber arms and lining the bolts up wouldn't have mattered since the new arms aren't the same length as the stock arms.

As far a safety goes you should be fine, but you don't want to take to long getting an alignment either way.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:40 PM
drivessidewayz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^basically this. When I did my coils though, my friend and I did them in his shop and then promptly stuck(literally) my car on the alignment rack. I wouldn't feel comfortable at all driving it without an alignment, but to each his own.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:14 PM
red on black

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Even if you had paid attention it would really matter it wouldnt be the same after because you put coilovers on and problly went lower,did you go with true style or oem coilovers?You can drive it wont matter,the bolt is there and tight,wont be an issue,if you drive it alot,2 weeks might show signs of wear but id say you should be ok man,as long as your wheels dont sit funny it should be ok
Old 07-12-2011, 04:03 AM
sry110

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Thanks for the replies guys. I see what you're saying about replacing the existing cam bolt with a standard bolt and lockout washer....eliminates the variability at the bolt and then all the adjustment is done at the arms. The wheels don't look like they are sitting weird, i.e. they're not cambered positive or anything. Similar negative camber to what I had before lowering, but probably a bit more due to being approx. 0.5" lower.

These are OEM style coilovers. I'm hoping to get in for my alignment by middle of next week and I'll try to drive my other car until then.