Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Mismatched brake pads.

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 11:55 AM
N80

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Mismatched brake pads.

I'm going to the track in a few weeks so I ordered some EBC Yellowstuff pads. They worked fine on my G35 coupe so they should do fine on the Z. The rear pads came FedEx yesterday and I had some free time so I decided to put them on. Got the right side pads on in just a few minutes.

Went to do the left sides and noticed that the remaining two pads were both outside pads!

I've contacted AutoAnything and told them to overnight me the right part. We'll see how that goes.

Anyway, I'm not going to put the old pads back on the right side. I drove the car. It brakes fine. No noise. Is there any harm driving a few hundred miles with the EBC's just on the right rear?
Old 01-19-2012, 12:23 PM
jmahad01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just not the smartest thing to do. Put back in the old pads and wait for the new ones....assuming you were replacing stock pads you now have different pad properties on each side. Brake hard and you will most likely feel the car pull to one side.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:30 PM
N80

It does not pull. I'm not going to change them back so I guess I'll be the guinea pig to find out if anything could happen.

However, I don't think I'm being a cowboy here. These are EBC YellowStuff pads and while they are somewhat more aggressive than stock pads it is not by a huge amount. They mostly just tolerate higher temps better than stock. Plus the stock pads were on the new-ish. I would not do this with a full track pad.

Still no reply from AutoAnything.

Last edited by N80; 01-19-2012 at 01:32 PM.
Old 01-19-2012, 05:35 PM
N80

AutoAnything replied. They contacted EBC and they claim that EBC told them that the inside and outside pads are identical. They are not identical. They accept different shims and have different pins for those shims. Plus the inside pad has the wear indicator pin and the outside pad does not.

I've sent AutoAnything pictures of the OEM pads and how the inside and outside pad are different. I'll be pretty ticked if they don't man up and send me the right pad ASAP.
Old 01-19-2012, 06:18 PM
secwind

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe the EBD will balance them out, but still not a smart thing to do.