Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Tanabe PRO S-OC

Old 03-06-2012, 01:26 PM
(ZzzzzZ)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^u sure? It says on the tanabe website these are linear. What do you mean by tapered?? So confused...
Old 03-06-2012, 01:29 PM
Neimad

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rear suspension is easier than changing the oil on this car, get some tools and play with it yourself, I've been thinking user error this whole thread. The ID has to be the same or it wont fit on the mounts, the length has to be enough for adjustment range but able to preload as well.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:30 PM
kevincat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it seem like you install the collars on the rear wrong. The smaller collar is the lock collar and should be switch around.

that should lower the car a little bit. and if that is not low enough then just remove the bigger collar and use only the smaller collar.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:36 PM
(ZzzzzZ)

^^Are you guys sure the collars are in the wrong place? The top hat came that way and I didnt install this myself, I had shane from g35 who has been doing these installs for a while now. And I know the rear is easy to install, I did it myself on a different setup, but I prefer to have someone do it.

Removing the collars won't drop it low enough for me, I have seen pics of other rides with that done, I think I NEED to get lower springs
Old 03-06-2012, 01:39 PM
Neimad

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So either its installed wrong, the 370 springs are too long, or they sent the wrong sp
Old 03-06-2012, 01:41 PM
kevincat

Originally Posted by (ZzzzzZ)
^^Are you guys sure the collars are in the wrong place? The top hat came that way and I didnt install this myself, I had shane from g35 who has been doing these installs for a while now. And I know the rear is easy to install, I did it myself on a different setup, but I prefer to have someone do it.

Removing the collars won't drop it low enough for me, I have seen pics of other rides with that done, I think I NEED to get lower springs
yeah it might have came from the factory that way but you can move it around without doing any damage.

and youre right, with my fronts i can slam my car and still have an extra half inch left to go lower. but my rear wasnt low enough even with the bigger collar removed.

so i brought my rear spring hat and bigger collar to a machinist and had him shave almost 3/4 total off. now im at a perfect height and i still can go 5mm lower.

at one point i took my stock cones and sawed off half an inch and used that instead of the adjustable hat.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:47 PM
(ZzzzzZ)

Thanks for the help you guys.

Kevin, do you happen to have any pics of your z with all three setups and which one you preferred or recommend I take? The big collar removed, then it cut off, and with just the stock cone sawed off, thanks. Btw, if you took the big collar off, why did you get it cut? Should you have gotten the small collar, which stays on, cut instead?
Old 03-06-2012, 01:48 PM
(ZzzzzZ)

Do you guys think if I got the springs cut, it would be ok since they are linear springs?
Old 03-06-2012, 01:56 PM
kevincat

that was with my stock hat with 1/2in cut off and i dont remember but i think the front isnt maxed yet.

the reason why i also got my bigger collar cut is because i want to go lower but still at the same time have the ability to adjust my height. i just got new tires and was too wide so i had to lift my car up a bit so that it wouldnt rub.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:57 PM
kevincat

Originally Posted by (zzzzzz)
do you guys think if i got the springs cut, it would be ok since they are linear springs?
do not cut your springs!!

and this is pretty much exactly how my rear hat look like after i had it shaved

Last edited by kevincat; 03-06-2012 at 02:00 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:10 PM
(ZzzzzZ)

Hmm, so on that amuse z, you had tanabe pro s-oc coilovers that are supposed to drop the rear 1.5 inches, but its that dropped? Man that looks good. You only cut your stock upper mount .5 inches? How was the ride like this? Still comfortable?

So would you recommend getting the top hat along with the big collar shaved since that would produce a big enough drop but still allow me to change the height if I wanted to? If I just take out the big collar and leave the small one in, I wont be able to change the ride height?
Old 03-06-2012, 02:16 PM
kevincat

lol i really dont know the specs on my pro s-oc. i just know that my fronts doesnt uses a helper spring.

but yeah if youre gonna bring the hats to the mechanic, why not also bring the bigger collar too. my guy only charged me 40 bucks to have all four shaved.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:18 PM
(ZzzzzZ)

Could you tell me how much of the top hat you cut and how much of the big collar you cut? And are you in socal?
Old 03-06-2012, 02:21 PM
(ZzzzzZ)

and you installed the small collar as well after getting those cut right?
Old 03-06-2012, 02:33 PM
kevincat

i cant remember how much was cut off. i just told the machinist to cut off as much as possible while at the same time keeping the hat structurally sound.

the small collar is the locking collar. so yeah i left it on, it also suppose to be a guide for the springs so that it doesnt slide around. i didnt have that piece cut because there is no point of cutting it. it doesnt affect the height of the car.

unfortunately im not in cali. but my car currently is undrivable. maybe if i have time tomorrow i can take my rear suspension apart and snap some pictures.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:44 PM
(ZzzzzZ)

After you got those two pieces cut, it still gave you the height range to be as low as that pic up there? And thanks again for the help, I will most likely go that route. If its too much trouble, don't hassle with taking apart the suspension for pics, but any other pics of the ride after you got those cut/installed are welcome :]
Old 03-06-2012, 02:50 PM
kevincat

yep after those two was cut i was able to replicate the same height as when i had the cut stock cones on. and i still could go 5mm lower if i was to remove the bigger collar.

sorry but thats about the only picture i have of my car that is worth showing
Old 03-06-2012, 02:51 PM
(ZzzzzZ)

Thanks again for the help bro!
Old 03-06-2012, 02:54 PM
kevincat

np. and hopefully you get the front to where you want it. i dont know why yours isnt going as low as it suppose to.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:02 PM
(ZzzzzZ)

My front has helper springs, and the fronts were untouched and installed at the height it came. I should be able to drop it a bit more, but not sure if I should take out the helper springs or not. Did you have them on then take them off? Or you never had them installed?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tanabe PRO S-OC