Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

So tired of clunking and wheels rubbing when cornering hard.. help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 05:00 PM
braydo25

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So tired of clunking and wheels rubbing when cornering hard.. help!

Alright I'm getting pretty fed up with the issues I've run into since modifying my z a bit. From what I've read they're pretty common issues apparently.

The mods on my z are as follows
- KSport Control Pro Coilovers, 30/32 dampening front, 25/32 dampening rear, stock spring preload, 25.3" from ground to highest point of fender in the rear, 24.8" from ground to highest point of fender in the front (I have about 0.8" fender gap in the front)
- SPC A arms up front
- SPC Toe Botls
- SPC Rear Camber Arms
- 19x11 +15 wheels in the rear, stretching 265/35/19
- 19x9.5 +12 wheels in the front, stretching 235/35/19

So.. I'm having 2 main issues. The first is that my front suspension is clunking when hitting a decent size bump or indentation in the road. I've checked to make sure my a-arms aren't hitting by loading the suspension up all the way while the car is jacked up on both sides, and checking for any spots it touches, and there is nothing that the a arm is hitting, so what else could be making the clunking noise???

The other issues, which is the main one and the most annoying is that when I dive into a corner at a decent speed, something rubs bad on either the driver or passenger side depending on which way I'm cornering, that causes the steering wheel to vibrate terribly and the front end understeers bad - and I know it's from something rubbing but I'm not sure what. My fenders have no signs of rubbing from the tire as far as I could see, so I'm not what it could be? I've had my front fenders rolled, but I'm wondering if I need to get them pulled a little as well? It's pretty bad.. if I take a somewhat tight corner at 60 that goes down and right I'll feel the car's steering shutter and the car pulls to the left and feels like the front end hops or slides a bit while pulling to the left, definite steering response along with it.

Any ideas?..

Thanks
Old 03-21-2012, 08:40 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Your car is slammed, yes your going to have problems.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:30 PM
Waiz
Premier Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

This question gets asked every week and it's always the same response.

Raise your car to allow for enough suspension travel or continue to suffer the consequences
Old 03-22-2012, 09:21 AM
beezee

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Unslam it before you get into an even bigger problem
Old 03-22-2012, 09:46 AM
rotchcrocket04

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the SPC A-Arms and I also get a horrible banging when I hit a moderate to large bump/pothole. The middle of the A-Arm is slamming against the "pinch welds" above it. (Pinch weld isn't the proper term, but I don't know what else to call them) It won't put a large "gash" in the area it's hitting, it's only a tiny mark because it's not hitting with enough force to bend them (though it sounds like hell).

I've dealt with this issue for two years now... it's ridiculous really. I also don't understand why some guys are lower than I am and aren't reporting any issues. I contacted SPC about it and they didn't want to do anything for me - I had specs changed, ran more neg camber, ran more positive, raised it up slightly, etc. and nothing fixed the issue. I eventually gave up trying. And subsequently, I believe SPC has now "redesigned" their A-Arms.

I don't remember my exact measurements from the ground, but I can tell you I'm lowered similar to the GF210 springs. About 1" in the front and 1.2" rear. An old pic but same suspension setup - see below.

I'm picking up a new set of wheels in about a week or two, specs are close to yours.

19x9.5 +15 245/35
19x11 +25 275/35

I know for sure I'll be rolling my fenders even before I put the wheels on... and I think I'm running enough negative camber to avoid any issues. We'll see though. I surely wouldn't consider myself "slammed" by any means - so maybe I'm not even close to your specs.