Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Drag suspension advise needed.

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 07:40 AM
NVRacing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drag suspension advise needed.

Needing some tips on drag suspension setup. The car has more power than I know what to do with. I put in a os giken rear diff, and got 315/30/19 hoosier r6's on the back(auto cross tire) for daily driving, looking into getting a drag slick combo for the track. But the car just blows the tires off clear through 4th gear. The suspension is completly unmodified. I am going to order differential and subframe bushings to stiffin things up, but I am thinking I need to do something with the springs/shocks. Also I don't want the car any lower.

Car has twin pte 58/58 bb turbos, build long block, tilton triple disc clutch, dss pro axles, haltech ecu, 2150 injectors, yada, yada. Running about 20 psi on the street, would like to get up into the 30s if traction was available.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:19 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you need proper tires 1st. get a set of 28x10.5x15 slicks and matching skinnys and go from there.

also setup your boost by speed and traction control in the haltech

Last edited by str8dum1; 04-17-2012 at 09:21 AM.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:53 AM
NVRacing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is an autocross slick which I understand is not the best for wholeshots, but for cruising around town I like having a flashy wheel on the car. Also I have big brake kit on the rear so I think my smallest wheel option would be a 16".

I would like to improve the traction on the street, the goal is not 1.3 sec 60's just better traction than I have with the tires I have.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:03 AM
jerryd87

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

best bet for you then would probably be get some stiffer springs in the rear but keep stock up front. get some adjustable shocks and set em stiff in the rear and soft up front double adjustable is the best so you can set rebound hard and compression soft but if they are single adjustable set them soft. this will stop the rear from squatting and messing up your contact patch but the soft front contains more energy and promotes lift up front. so basically you get max weight transfer to the rear without squat. if your getting adjustable coilovers then you would also be able to set ride height so you could keep the front stock ride height and drop the rear half a inch or so.

def not good for autocross and i highly discourage high speed runs on the street but for launching at the strip this is an optimal setup. another option could be to set you alignment with a bunch of people sitting in the back so that it could simulate squat a little and you can adjust your contact patch for that although this is a far less effective method. you do definately need proper tires though, your not going to be launching impressively on road race tires although its gona be better then street tires. its would be my personal choice but then again im not going for impressive launchs.