Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Akebono BBK comparison

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 02:56 PM
nyZ_nick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Road Warrior
no, but if your gonna go faster your going to certainly want to be able to stop faster.

spending money on mods never ends btw...next thing you will want is a body kit, wheels and tires, suspension, and the list goes on.

save your money...then get a gtr
Wish I could bro. Already got coilovers, BBK, is on the way, got tires ans wheels already, all is left really is too boost it. I dont care much for bodykits as of now lol
Old 05-18-2012, 03:44 PM
brandon7219

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

As with the body kits. only thing i want and need to do is get a new bumper (im planning on nismo v2). other then that im happy with the looks of the original style.

Oh and i know modding never stops :P. good thing (not really good) im enlisted so i dont make a ton of money to spend on my car. so parts come in slowly as of right now. So it'll be a little while until i get everything on my list.
Old 05-19-2012, 12:17 PM
Road Warrior

got it...sounds like you got a nice setup there nyz. good luck on the boost..make sure you take it to a reputable shop, get a good engine management system, and a good tune for your setup. motors aren't cheap and neither is getting the right setup...but worth it in the long run.

brandon, make the parts you do get count...get the best bang for your buck...which looks like you are doing. also, thanks for your service.
Old 05-19-2012, 04:08 PM
nyZ_nick

Originally Posted by Road Warrior
got it...sounds like you got a nice setup there nyz. good luck on the boost..make sure you take it to a reputable shop, get a good engine management system, and a good tune for your setup. motors aren't cheap and neither is getting the right setup...but worth it in the long run.

brandon, make the parts you do get count...get the best bang for your buck...which looks like you are doing. also, thanks for your service.

Thanks bro, much appreciated. Boost will come with time we'll see.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:55 PM
mod350z

The faster yourar accelerates. The faster you need it to stop. This is pretty simple. Big brakes are never a disadvantage if you have a ~500hp car.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:07 PM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

Received 399 Likes on 227 Posts

just bought a set of Akebonos for my Z.
Things to keep in mind, then you can make your own decision..

these brakes surely feel fantastic on the OEM cars themselves, so dont look at them as a downgrade or a misapplication for our cars.
There is benefit to lighter options, but most mods are a balance between comprimise and cost and need.

oem rotor set up weights 30 lbs ea fr, and the slotted option weighs 28, the DBA version 2 piece weights even less, so you have room to upgrade this if you feel you need it later on.

Unsprung weight is indeed something to keep an eye on.. and i was concerned w this too.. but a heavier mass closer to the hub and spinning point would be less noticeable for snappy acceleration and braking bite than even far less weight being added far away from the spinning point, ie larger diamter wheels w stainless 3 piece barrels etc. which are still very common.

Think of the carousel when u were a kid... where was the safe spot? Right in the middle.. as you moved outwards, that additional gravity grew exponentially.. differences in the spinning feel of one kid ot the next in the middle was very little even if it me the skinny kid, or the fat kids lol.

But that unsprung weight will still affect suspension and how it lets the wheel interact w the road and keep traction etc.

I think thats where the feel will come from.. i dont speak from experience, but the theory would appear sound to me from what i know.

I think they look fantastic as well.. as still made plans for overall weight reduction elsewhere in the car, but as yiu can see, were talking three totally different aspects of weight being added to different areas... and theres three different effects in behavior for sure.. make your chpooice and compromise, but all these BBK kits will be better than stock brakes.. your pad choice will make a large difference, and that depends if they need to stop when hot ( track) or stop when cold ( street) .
Old 06-28-2012, 03:07 PM
mod350z

Moral of the story. Big brakes will sap a measureable ammount of power from your overall output. Brake upgrades are more a vanity item for builds less than 400whp if it doesnt see multi lap curcuit driving. A 500hp Z will come to 140mph fairly quickly. It takes more than stock brakes to slow you back to 40mph repeatedly. If you dont use your car this way. You dont "need" it. If you drive like this on stock brakes you probably have to replace or machine warped front rotors often. My 3 cents.

By the way the horsepower numbers are just and example. Ive driven cars up to 600hp. I can tell you right I definately prefer the crispness of steel braides lines and 14" wilwoods over the oem brakes. Much better feel for brake drifting as well. It all depends what your ultimate goals are.

Last edited by mod350z; 06-28-2012 at 03:28 PM.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:56 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

Originally Posted by nyZ_nick
Wish I could bro. Already got coilovers, BBK, is on the way, got tires ans wheels already, all is left really is too boost it. I dont care much for bodykits as of now lol
Diff, radiator , clutch , flywheel and a lot of other parts are really needed before boost.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:03 PM
mod350z

Originally Posted by terrasmak
Diff, radiator , clutch , flywheel and a lot of other parts are really needed before boost.
Add oil cooler this list
Old 06-28-2012, 06:14 PM
e30cabrio
350Z-holic

Received 2,578 Likes on 2,037 Posts

Originally Posted by mod350z
Moral of the story. Big brakes will sap a measureable ammount of power from your overall output.
I read and reread this several times. Please explain, I have no idea what you are trying to say.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:15 PM
Flo-ridaZ33

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

^LULZ
Old 06-28-2012, 08:18 PM
jerryd87

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

except the big brake kits dont stop you any faster, they have the same piston volume as oem so there clamping force is the same. i know this has been posted 1000 times at least on this forum. bigger brakes reduce fade not make you stop faster. if you want to stop faster get bigger and stickier tires.

if you want legitimate upgrades to brakes that increase your performance then get the conceptz package. centric slotted rotors, axxis ultimate pads, stainless lines, and motul fluid. it will bring you from 140 down to 40 repeatedly with little issue especially if you put some ducts in. if for some reason you still have too much brake fade THEN go for brembo or one of the 13 inch kits, thats all you will ever need and you can get the same package for the brembos. i have brough my car from 140 down to a stop repeatedly doing data logs and tuning and have never had any issues(well vacuum issues but was my own fault.)
The faster yourar accelerates. The faster you need it to stop. This is pretty simple. Big brakes are never a disadvantage if you have a ~500hp car.

Last edited by jerryd87; 06-28-2012 at 08:25 PM.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:03 PM
mod350z

Originally Posted by jerryd87
except the big brake kits dont stop you any faster, they have the same piston volume as oem so there clamping force is the same. i know this has been posted 1000 times at least on this forum. bigger brakes reduce fade not make you stop faster. if you want to stop faster get bigger and stickier tires.

if you want legitimate upgrades to brakes that increase your performance then get the conceptz package. centric slotted rotors, axxis ultimate pads, stainless lines, and motul fluid. it will bring you from 140 down to 40 repeatedly with little issue especially if you put some ducts in. if for some reason you still have too much brake fade THEN go for brembo or one of the 13 inch kits, thats all you will ever need and you can get the same package for the brembos. i have brough my car from 140 down to a stop repeatedly doing data logs and tuning and have never had any issues(well vacuum issues but was my own fault.)
Youre right Im just too stupid to explain it so eloquently. So you have stock brakes with upgraded rotors and pads then? I think thats what I read. You dont think that curcuit driving with 12" rotors on a 3400lb vehicle will warp the front rotors in one hot day? Upgraded fluid, you solve the boiling fluid problem. Upgraded pads you solve the pad breaking down and actually creating a gas barrier between the pad and rotor. The problem not solved is the surface area on the rotor being too small to dissipate heat fast enough. Where can I find information on the clamping forces of oem nissan base model caliper clamping force in comparison to brembo upgrade or akebono?

Last edited by mod350z; 06-28-2012 at 11:05 PM.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:07 PM
mod350z

Originally Posted by e30cabrio
I read and reread this several times. Please explain, I have no idea what you are trying to say.
Bigger rotor = less wheel horsepower
Old 06-28-2012, 11:11 PM
mod350z

Ill just go build my car and be quiet now.
Old 06-29-2012, 01:50 AM
jerryd87

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

my car is significantly lighter then that thats pretty heavy for a track car im about 2950 plus me with no cage done a few things though so need to go weigh it again. get ducts, that will do you far more good then a very slight upgrade in rotor diameter. put it this way, nascar dosnt even run a 14 inch rotor to slow down from 200 mph, do you think our z(which weighs about the same) needs one? nascar only runs 12.72 inch 2 piece rotors. so i keep my previous statement theres no one who NEEDS a 14 inch rotor on this forum its all for the looks. ducts will get you far more, get 2 piece rotors and position the duct in the center so it hits the hat and is spit out to the vanes and forced through the rotor just like nascar does it(they use brakes ALOT more then people may think enough they glow.).

not sure on clamping force but you can get the piston volumes all over the web, the companies make them the same as stock so you dont have to buy both front and rear and can just do one or the other. the akebono MIGHT have a better volume since it was never made for the 350 i would have to look it up. too damn heavy imo though wilwood is a far better option or stock brembos. right now im on stock rotors, lines, fluid with ebc blue stuff pads but thats the point all the pieces in the conceptz package are better then what i have and i dont even have any problems, not even the slight bit concerned based on the performance ive seen. thats after lately even where i have been pretty damn hard on them doing multiple back to back runs to tune my car. at most they are seeing a 2 minute break between runs.

im going with the stock brakes brake package next brake job.
Youre right Im just too stupid to explain it so eloquently. So you have stock brakes with upgraded rotors and pads then? I think thats what I read. You dont think that curcuit driving with 12" rotors on a 3400lb vehicle will warp the front rotors in one hot day? Upgraded fluid, you solve the boiling fluid problem. Upgraded pads you solve the pad breaking down and actually creating a gas barrier between the pad and rotor. The problem not solved is the surface area on the rotor being too small to dissipate heat fast enough. Where can I find information on the clamping forces of oem nissan base model caliper clamping force in comparison to brembo upgrade or akebono?

Last edited by jerryd87; 06-29-2012 at 01:58 AM.
Old 06-29-2012, 02:58 AM
e30cabrio
350Z-holic

Received 2,578 Likes on 2,037 Posts

Bigger rotor = less wheel horsepower
I have DBA 2 piece front 14" rotors that weigh 23lbs which is stock weight, Adams 13" rears that weigh a few pounds more than stock.

I have a base which weighs less than an uplevel car and have removed weight (while adding a bit) I have 331 HP and 347 tq at the wheels a quaife and 4.08 gears. My car does just fine and even if somehow my psudo bbk is costing me power I don't miss it.
Old 06-29-2012, 03:52 AM
freddys 350z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ill add this. one day of driving in the hill country wrapped my slotted rotors(stock brakes). brake fade was getting pretty bad at one point. kinda scary when your driving next to a drop off.

if you dont mind loosing a couple hp with these 14" rotors, buy them. i think the confidence alone you get from better brakes is worth it.

i plan on buying these real soon. also, if i could get a new oem brembo for the same price i would.

Last edited by freddys 350z; 06-29-2012 at 03:54 AM.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:27 AM
mod350z

Originally Posted by e30cabrio
I have DBA 2 piece front 14" rotors that weigh 23lbs which is stock weight, Adams 13" rears that weigh a few pounds more than stock.

I have a base which weighs less than an uplevel car and have removed weight (while adding a bit) I have 331 HP and 347 tq at the wheels a quaife and 4.08 gears. My car does just fine and even if somehow my psudo bbk is costing me power I don't miss it.
Good job on the upgraded rotor weighing same as stock. Gonna look into that.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:28 AM
mod350z

Originally Posted by freddys 350z
ill add this. one day of driving in the hill country wrapped my slotted rotors(stock brakes). brake fade was getting pretty bad at one point. kinda scary when your driving next to a drop off.
This.

Quick Reply: Akebono BBK comparison