Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Yonake coil overs

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 11:28 PM
ronn1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Yonake coil overs

Read this..ALL OF IT..and give me your take.

Yonaka Motorsports street coilovers for the 2003+ Nissan 350Z. Ideal for street cars and weekend racers.

All Aluminum Upper Mounts
0-4" Height adjustment.
Fully Threaded Mono Tube Shock Absorber.
Inner bump stop to prevent damage cause by rapid compression impacts.
Wide range of height adjustment without changing the spring compression.
Bottom of the shock is threaded to allow height adjustments without having to shorten the suspension travel.

Rubber dust shield protecting piston for long life.
Adjustment tools included.

Spring rates are as follows:

Front springs: 10kg / 200mm
Rear springs: 8kg / 200mmThe Yonaka Coilover Kit is one of our favorite adjustable coilover kits on the market. It features full height adjustability, and a fully threaded shock that is perfect for the street, and also track days. Even though the Yonaka Coilover Kit is designed to be a performance coilover, it has incredible ride characteristics, so your daily commute remains comfortable and confident.

Unlike inferior coilovers, the Yonaka Coilover Kit doesn't adjust by squeezing the spring together, causing an uncomfortable ride. The Yonaka Coilover Kit has height adjustment by threading the actual shock body up and down, so even at it's lowest setting, you still get full shock travel, and the same comfortable ride, even if it was adjusted top it's top max.

The Yonaka Coilover Kit comes with everything necessary for install, an inner bump stop that doesn't require any trimming, a rubber dust shield for protecting the piston life, and all required adjustment tools.

All this for...$650

Last edited by ronn1; 04-26-2012 at 12:14 AM.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:36 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Same junk, different name

The Yonaka Coilover Kit has height adjustment by threading the actual shock body up and down, so even at it's lowest setting, you still get full shock travel, and the same comfortable ride, even if it was adjusted top it's top max.
So i can lower my car 4 inches (OEM ground clearance is 4.1 inches) my tire will be pressed into the top of my fender and i will still have full suspension travel, i would love to see how that works.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:38 AM
r_seng

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by terrasmak

So i can lower my car 4 inches (OEM ground clearance is 4.1 inches) my tire will be pressed into the top of my fender and i will still have full suspension travel, i would love to see how that works.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:19 AM
AllstarE4
Sleeps in 350Z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

People are so hell-bent on spending pennies for coilovers. Not attacking you ronn1, but it's getting crazy.

I've actually posted a couple of times in the Godspeed coilover sale thread half-*** promoting them. I'm not really promoting them, but they are no different than the Top Speed Pro-1 crap that people keep drooling over. I'm no suspension guru, but I know to steer clear of these stupid cheap setups.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:09 AM
ronn1

Well, this is the standard reply on most boards. Thing is, the few ACTUAL reviews I read seemed pretty decent. I wasn't talking about 4" drop..that's insane. It's really frustrating to read opinions that are based on PURE speculation. Not saying these are *primo*, but they very well may be a *value* at this price. Many people have been brainwashed into thinking PRICE=QUALITY, when there are HUGE mark ups in many cases. NO, you don't always get what you pay for. There are now offshore competitors that are getting VERY GOOD at this game. Japan was once regarded as a CHEAP US COPYCAT back in the 50s and 60s

Anyway..here are some reviews..some of these have 30way damper control (type2), but I think that won't matter too much one way or another.

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/4952264-post1.html

I have now put 150 miles on my Yonaka SPEC II Coilovers and I have to say they are up with the best I have owned. Since 1997 I have build including this car 92 and every car had either springs or coilovers. I have had pretty much every brand on the market and I put my name behind Yonaka. They ride outstanding, corning is strong and firm, and no roll which I enjoy. I like when I can throw a car into a corner on the street and it reacts as it should. For the price, quality, and performance I think I did great with trying them. I was sceptically since I never heard of them but just put in Google "Yonaka Coilover Review" and didn't hear one bad word so I tried them. Glad I did!

My name is Edgardo Arroyo but everyone calls me {Rocco} I’m from Ponce,Puerto Rico. I’m 35 years old and have a 2002 type s. Why i choose Yonaka coilovers? Everyone who owns a rsx know the suspension from stock is kinda rough,so i tried tein and skunk2 before switch to Yonaka. I’m in the U.S.Army while i was deployed in Djibouti,Africa 2009 i did a lot of research. I read all kind of posts about different brand price,quality ride, and back home i have 3 friends with RSX’s with tein,skunk2, and k sport coilovers. Neither one convince me of the ride quality with the price that goes around $1,200 ++. I checked your website, read all and found about the yonaka coilovers plus the price was really good. So I went for it and trust me these performed way better than the tein and skunk2 i had! Remember my RSX is my daily cars so i was looking for performance and comfort.and trust me here in Puerto Rico there some roads that sucks with holes etc

http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/sh...oilover-Review

driveability
in the 4 or 5 months i've had them in, i've had ZERO problems with them. ..
i hope this helps everyone, and let me know if you want to know anything else...

Holding up great guys I love these coilovers. Still look new and ride feels amazing. Heck I ran my 12.9 passes on these and next week hoping for mid 12's. They have a very comfortable ride and trust me we have some crappy roads out here. Even my wife loves how smooth my car rides. She just gets freaked out when I go into full boost lol. Any other ? Let me know. Hands down a great coilover and I will be buying them again for my talon when it's ready.

http://my.is/forums/f157/pics-yonaka...st-got-396347/

I just got my new Yonaka IS 32 way adjustable coilovers for my IS350C. They are freakin' AWESOME. I have had a ton of different coilover brands in my 12 years building cars and they are in my top 2 for sure. They are number one now because of the price for sure with the quality. Sick of paying over $1000 for some coilovers, that is just rip off. I have a street car, NOT a full race car.
and as far as i know, these are very similar to Tein Basics, in forms of construction, adjustments, and driveability.

http://clubroadster.net/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=26639

9 months: I give this an 8 out of 10, factoring in price point. the shock/spring setup it comes with i think is balanced with the bumpstops, and great coilover for street. I've yet to track it. Whats nice is the bound setting is progressive as the clicks are applied to increase stiffness, I remember some people when i had a Galant vr4 had some bilsteins that were either soft, or hard regardless of in-between settings...

At this point, unless I track it and notice them get muushy under constant aggressive driving, i don't have a need to upgrade to another brand or spending 2k+ for a different/similar product.

Definitely worth the purchase.

Last edited by ronn1; 04-26-2012 at 11:35 AM.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:16 AM
stevehl

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

true. But for 650, do you want to risk it or go with a name that is trusted and reviewed ALOT. This is prob the same quality since its from taiwan, but there are tons of great reviews on bc racing coils for a little more money
Old 04-26-2012, 10:30 AM
ronn1

Originally Posted by stevehl
true. But for 650, do you want to risk it or go with a name that is trusted and reviewed ALOT. This is prob the same quality since its from taiwan, but there are tons of great reviews on bc racing coils for a little more money
That's why it's so difficult for new products to get readily accepted...people simply assume they are *cheap* Chinese ebay crap. I have posted some actual reviews..you be the judge.

Trending Topics

Old 04-26-2012, 10:33 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by ronn1
Well, this is the standard reply on most boards. Thing is, the few ACTUAL reviews I read seemed pretty decent. I wasn't talking about 4" drop..that's insane. It's really frustrating to read opinions that are based on PURE speculation. Not saying these are *primo*, but they very well be a *value* at this price. Many people have been brainwashed into thinking PRICE=QUALITY, when there are HUGE mark ups in many cases. NO, you don't always get what you pay for. There are now offshore competitors that are getting VERY GOOD at this game. Japan was once regarded as a CHEAP US COPYCAT back in the 50s and 60s
They are the same as BC's, Megan ect etc, if i was in the market for crap i would probably buy the cheapist ones available. No point of spending the extra $350 for BC or whatever when they all come out of the same factory with just different colors.

Money does buy quality, you just have to decide where to save and what is important.

Example, i run RPF1s , i saved $2k by not getting a set of Volks. Mine are strong, and weigh 1 to 2 pounds more. I could have saved an extra $200 and bought a quality wheel like Rota or saved a lot more and bought some XXR junk that weigh even more. This is the same with many things in life. I ride a $2000 mountain bike, i could have bought one at Wal-Mart for $120, one is lower mid grade and the other is crap. This coilover are on the crap side. What is important to you.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:41 AM
Vivid Racing
Sponsor
Vivid Racing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They are the same as BC's, Megan ect etc, if i was in the market for crap i would probably buy the cheapist ones available. No point of spending the extra $350 for BC or whatever when they all come out of the same factory with just different colors.
I spent over 2 years as the Dir. of Marketing and Media for a popular coilover company, and I know a bit about the industry.

These Yonaka coilovers aren't the same as BC, Megan, etc. Their RETAIL price is less than the wholesale price that Vivid pays for stuff in the BC/Megan/Ksport/Stance/etc range. There's no possible way for them to sell THAT cheap unless they're cutting corners somewhere. Whether it's materials, engineering, customer support, research & development, manufacturing equipment, or a combination of all of the above... They're cutting corners somewhere.

I wouldn't recommend going with anything that cheap. Spend a couple hundred more and buy something that's at least proven to not fall apart. There's some coilovers in the $800-1200 range that have been proven to perform pretty well on the track and last on the street. Take a look at the link below, and PM me if you have any questions. We can usually offer forum members a bit of a discount over the websites pricing, as well.

http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/s...15&c9=16&r=628

That's why it's so difficult for new products to get readily accepted...people simply assume they are *cheap* Chinese ebay crap. I have posted some actual reviews..you be the judge.
Reviews from people who've never owned, driven, or otherwise experienced a NICE coilover are worthless. The only review that would impress me is one by someone who has access to, and knows how to operate, a shock dyno or someone who's put several cars with varying suspensions through some serious track time. Someone who's driven cars equipped with NICE coilovers. I'm talking Bilstein, Ohlins, Penske, etc. Some 19 yr old that's never owned anything but cut springs on stock struts? May as well have my dog write the review. I'm not trying to be rude, just giving you the realistic perspective.

If someone on these Yonaka coilovers goes out and wins a Pro-Am level motorsports title, I'd definitely change my tune. I don't expect these coilovers to carry you to an ALMS championship, but an XDC win would be nice. Or if I can see some unaltered dyno plots that aren't awful looking.

Last edited by Vivid Racing; 04-26-2012 at 10:50 AM.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:27 AM
ronn1

There's no possible way for them to sell THAT cheap unless they're cutting corners somewhere. Whether it's materials, engineering, customer support, research & development, manufacturing equipment, or a combination of all of the above... They're cutting corners somewhere.
Hard to say..they need to get exposure?
Not the same as Megan and BC?? Really///hmmm..I read somewhere that the package on the shocks said *Made in Japan*..can you verify this?
Old 04-26-2012, 11:32 AM
ronn1

Reviews from people who've never owned, driven, or otherwise experienced a NICE coilover are worthless. The only review that would impress me is one by someone who has access to, and knows how to operate, a shock dyno or someone who's put several cars with varying suspensions through some serious track time. Someone who's driven cars equipped with NICE coilovers. I'm talking Bilstein, Ohlins, Penske, etc. Some 19 yr old that's never owned anything but cut springs on stock struts? May as well have my dog write the review. I'm not trying to be rude, just giving you the realistic perspective.
Come on now...we're NOT gonna compare these to those Brands..surely you don't expect serious track cars to use these shocks. As far as shock dynos...see any on Eibach Pro Steets..etc?
Old 04-26-2012, 12:12 PM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Received 117 Likes on 63 Posts

Garbage. If you want real shocks, I have some custom double koni's on a shelf that wouldn't be much more expensive than these.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:59 PM
ronn1

Made in Japan..
I missed this in one of my review quotes:

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/4741158-post16.html

I paid $850 bucks for them and made at the same plant as Fuction and Form in Japan
Old 04-26-2012, 01:05 PM
Flo-ridaZ33

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

Ronn.. I have a set of Eibach Pro-Street S', I've seen them for as low as $900 and they're rebranded KW V1's.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:58 PM
ronn1

Originally Posted by Flo-ridaZ33
Ronn.. I have a set of Eibach Pro-Street S', I've seen them for as low as $900 and they're rebranded KW V1's.
I was looking at those..found them for $919 shipped .
Currently have Nismo S Tune..so I'm not sure of any real advantage to switching. I only want to go 1/2" lower in rear..fronts are perfect at -1".
Was just wondering on these Yonakas...they have some advantages that KWV1 don't have. But..KW1s would be a top pick for sure if you don't wanna mess with damping rates.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:58 PM
AllstarE4
Sleeps in 350Z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Flo-ridaZ33
Are you saying you have them for sale? Also, where did you see them that cheap?
Old 04-26-2012, 02:01 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

I was looking at those..found them for $919 shipped .
Currently have Nismo S Tune..so I'm not sure of any real advantage to switching. I only want to go 1/2" lower in rear..fronts are perfect at -1".
Was just wondering on these Yonakas...they have some advantages that KWV1 don't have. But..KW1s would be a top pick for sure if you don't wanna mess with damping rates.
You would be taking a lot of steps back if you were to install the Yonakas coilovers.

Come on now...we're NOT gonna compare these to those Brands..surely you don't expect serious track cars to use these shocks. As far as shock dynos...see any on Eibach Pro Steets..etc?
I think your missing the point. BTW high end coilovers do ride better for a Street Car, a street driven vehicle will still benifit from quality suspension.

Last edited by terrasmak; 04-26-2012 at 02:10 PM.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:03 PM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Received 117 Likes on 63 Posts

I'd tend to agree....
Old 04-26-2012, 02:13 PM
ronn1

You would be taking a lot of steps back if you were to install the Yonakas coilovers.
Well....we really don't know that do we?. We do know the Nismo S Tune (and KW V1) are proven to be good though and that's a plus. The quandry I face...is what most do...venturing into the *unknown*...and most won't risk that.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:18 PM
Flo-ridaZ33

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by AllstarE4
Are you saying you have them for sale? Also, where did you see them that cheap?
A while back on Ebay... I look there from time to time. I'm not selling mine at the moment but I might upgrade to some HKS' and a Roberuta cup kit in the near future.

Quick Reply: Yonake coil overs