Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Review: Tanabe Sustec Pro Z40 Coilovers!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 09:09 AM
speedraver2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Review: Tanabe Sustec Pro Z40 Coilovers!

I just wanted to post my review of their latest coilovers for the G35/350Z.

Tanabe's Newest Model: Sustec Pro Z40 Coilovers

This is my first set of coilovers for my 2005 G35 Coupe. I currently have 20” HRE 540R wheels, stock shocks, and Tanabe NF210 Springs. I’ve been on these for the last 5 years. I’ve always wanted coilovers and finally got my hands on the first set of Tanabe Sustec Pro Z40 Coilovers for the G35, their newest coilover system available. Thanks to Danh, at Tanabe USA Inc., in Torrance, CA, for introducing them to me!

“It has a fully adjustable ride height, advanced dampers by KYB with 40-way dampening adjustment, twin tube construction which allow for better length compared to monotube, durable finish, tapered locking nut, noise elimination, and goes through rigorous testing”.

Details of the product from Tanabe USA are on their site at:
http://www.tanabe-usa.com/z40.asp?id=22

FIRST IMPRESSIONS:
The Tanabe Sustec Pro Z40s came in a huge box with with the coilovers individually wrapped and nice foam packaging. The craftsmanship and detailing of this product is amazing. The top mounting plate and adjustment collars came in an anodized deep maroon red color, the shock body was silver and black powder-coated and very well put together.

When I first saw this thing come out of the box, my eyes bulged, and I started to drool…. WOW! All the hardware for installation was included as well.

Here’s what it looks like coming out of the box:

MY CAR SET-UP:
This is my daily driver and want to drive normally on the freeway as well as local streets without having worry about rubbing the fender or getting rear ended taking a corner from 40 mph and having to quickly slow down to 10 mph, just to take the corner. I also want to be able to drive with people in the car.

Rick of Status Autoworks in Gardena, changed the outer barrel of my rear wheels and went from a 20x10.5 to 20x11 and kept the same tire on for a slightly stretched look. We rolled the fenders in the rear more than before, the front plastic liner got tucked up higher, and the mounting point where the fender and bumper bolt up to each other, that corner got cut off to prevent the rubbing of the tires.

INSTALL:
It was a very straight forward install, which went very smoothly, and no problems at all. The height was set to their “medium” setting and after installing it, decided to lower it ½ inch front and rear, from my current "lowered" Tanabe NF210 spring setup. It is 26” from ground to fender. I just wanted a slightly aggressive stance and not super low VIP slammed and “hella” stretched look.

We also had the dampening set at the medium setting, which was at 20, where 1 is the stiffest and 40 is the softest, drove it around, and decided to go stiffer and set it at 15 by easily twisting the top dampening adjustment **** five clicks clock-wise. Because of the way the G35 is designed, like other G35 coilovers, to adjust the rear dampening, you have to remove the shocks, which is still easy to do.

Here are some pix from the install:

Before set up with Tanabe NF210 spings:

Installing at Technosquare in Torrance, CA:

Before:

Tanabe Sway Bar Install:

Additional Tanabe Front Sway bar install:

Installed a RareJDM Belly Pan as well, polished on both sides!

Installed!

Continued Below....

Last edited by speedraver2; 05-01-2012 at 01:05 PM.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:09 AM
speedraver2

Before:

After settling:

DRIVING IMPRESSIONS:
I drove around local streets of Gardena, in the Los Angeles area, for a few miles on smooth as well as jacked up sections of the road, along with a 6’-3”, 220lb passenger as well.

WOW, it was very nice and smooth going over all types of roads and normal city driving speeds. I can definitely tell the HUGE difference from my previous setup of Tanabe NF210 springs, which was night and day! No rubbing issues going over large cracks/potholes on the road as well as metal plates, which is also the advantage of having a stiffer set up and yet a very comfortable ride, even more so than my previous set up! It feels like I'm driving a new car!

I also installed Tanabe Front and Rear Sway bars on the same day, and now, armed with coils and sways, the car’s handling & feel is amazing! Thanks again Tanabe!

During my “spirited” driving sessions on local streets, there were no issues with rubbing as well as going up & down drive-ways. Of course I still have to go at an angle, but that's normal for me, since I’m used to a lowered car, with my G35 sitting now at around 4” off the ground, at the front bumper.

Going around corners on local streets were very stable and it never felt like I was going to lose control. It has very minimal body roll, which is normal, and I felt very comfortable taking corners and not having to slow down just to make a quick turn.

Man, I wish I knew it felt this good to be on coils! On my previous set up I would always drive carefully at times, taking corners slowly, and could sometimes hear noise from the suspension, where as the Z40 coils are very quiet!

As we approached the curved on-ramp to the 405 freeway, we carved over the dip at the entry of the curve like a pro! No rubbing, very smooth, and super stable, especially with it having a lower center of gravity. I then gunned it to freeway speeds and the ride was very quiet and much more stable that my previous set up. Switching lanes and going over various freeway bumps and cracks was again, effortless. I would catch myself saying “Wow… this is freaking awesome”!

To test out it’s agility, off the 405 freeway, from the #2 lane, I would quickly (and safely) jump lanes to exit Imperial Highway off ramp at the last minute and my passenger said, “Wow, you could barely feel the ‘washboard’ section of that off ramp!” Then I replied, “What washboard section?”. That goes to show you how comfortable the ride was over multiple “bumps” at freeway speeds. The overall ride quality has definitely increased, which makes it very easy and fun to drive!

OVERALL:
I love these Tanabe Sustec Pro Z40 Coilovers! It totally changes the way I drive the car and the comfort level is awesome! Very straight forward install and I would definitely recommend these to anyone who wants a new ride feel and look. I am able to take the harsh SoCal roads and freeways very smoothly and makes you enjoy your ride like it was a brand new car! If I had known about coilovers in the past, I would have purchased them! Like the saying goes, “It feels like you're on rails”, as I take on any curve or corner! (I can't wait to take on canyon roads!)

Thank you Tanabe for an AMAZING coilover system for my G35! Definitely worth it, especially with the technology and design behind this great product! I look forward to driving my car with a smile on my face, driving with more confidence, and having fun on the way to work!

Thanks Danh of Tanabe USA, Howard of Technosquare in Torrance, Zack of RareJDM, Randy (R-Ryde) for the install, Rick of Status Autoworks in Gardena, and Marty for the additional help!

Arigatoo! (^_^)

- John / Speedraver

Last edited by speedraver2; 05-01-2012 at 01:04 PM.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:54 AM
raf84ny

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you for posting this review. What are you using to get your camber/toe adjusted?
P.S. Your G looks great!
Old 04-28-2012, 10:10 AM
Seelz

Those are sexy coilovers. Great write up and congrats on the epic new setup!
Old 04-28-2012, 12:39 PM
speedraver2

For the rear I have the SPC Rear Camber Bolt Kit:
http://www.directtuning.com/store/pc...-06-sedan.aspx

For the front I have the Cusco Front Adjustable A-Arms:
http://z1auto.com/prodmore.asp?model...ng&prodid=1288

The links above are just random ones I saw online, there are probably better deals out there.
Old 04-28-2012, 04:17 PM
Gozirra

Your car looks great! I wish I could afford something like this, congratulations awesome stance
Old 04-28-2012, 05:44 PM
Marty_G
Banned

great writeup John!!!
Old 04-28-2012, 07:38 PM
speedraver2

Originally Posted by Gozirra
Your car looks great! I wish I could afford something like this, congratulations awesome stance
You're probably half my age, so I'm sure you'll be able to afford it someday... I'm just in old man mode trying to do what I can, while I still can, before it all goes to my kid's schooling! Lol!
Old 04-28-2012, 09:12 PM
Waiz
Premier Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Excellent writeup!

I wish people would put together threads like this more often
Old 04-29-2012, 02:51 PM
VQpoweredZ

Originally Posted by Waizzz
Excellent writeup!

I wish people would put together threads like this more often
I agree.

Nice pics along with the writeup.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:19 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

Front upper spring mount is not separate from the shock mount, do not want.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:42 AM
speedraver2

Originally Posted by terrasmak
Front upper spring mount is not separate from the shock mount, do not want.
I asked my friend who installed this about your comment and he replied:

"His wording is a little confusing. Maybe he is talking about the lesser models that do no come with upper mount. The OEM one is used. Your model (Z40) comes with the upper mount, no need to reuse the OEM part."

Last edited by speedraver2; 04-30-2012 at 11:43 AM.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:11 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

Originally Posted by speedraver2
I asked my friend who installed this about your comment and he replied:

"His wording is a little confusing. Maybe he is talking about the lesser models that do no come with upper mount. The OEM one is used. Your model (Z40) comes with the upper mount, no need to reuse the OEM part."
http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets5.html read about coaxial spring mounts.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:21 PM
VMRWheels
Vendor - Former Vendor

Very nice write up, I like how you included lots of detailed photos and an in depth review of everything.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:22 AM
TheDangerZone

nice review! You don't see in depth stuff like this too often these days.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:37 AM
GreyZ

Received 171 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by terrasmak
And that is a link to be book marked. Thanks!
Old 06-09-2016, 07:20 AM
hsupreme

I recently just purchased these coilovers as well. Did you need any camber kits?