Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Coilover selection help (KW,HKS,Cusco)

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 11:13 AM
maximariceboi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coilover selection help (KW,HKS,Cusco)

Hey guys,

Need some help in choosing coilovers. Currently I have Greddy Type S coilovers..been waiting on a replacement damper and front bushings. Somehow one of the dampers went bad and I replaced all 4 back in November. The replacements are taking forever so I'm looking for a new set asap before the body work on the car.

As for the usage, I daily drive the car and occasional track.

Here are my options that I'm currently looking at but open to others:

KW V3
HKS Hipermax 3
Cusco zero-2 w/pillowball mounts

I didn't realize at first that for KW V3's I need to reuse the top hats on the oem coilovers (since i prefer buying these pieces new) it adds up roughly to the hks and cusco price range.

I've been hearing a lot a good reviews lately about the KW V3's but not too much on the HKS and Cusco. Please post if you have any inputs!

Thanks
Eric
Old 05-11-2012, 12:19 PM
agni

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0hNtYI7S0E
Old 05-11-2012, 12:31 PM
SE5spd

KWV3 are progressive springs just an FYI.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:48 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

V3 will be the best bet out of the bunch
Old 05-11-2012, 05:16 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Doubt if these brands have ever been discussed. Are they new?
Old 05-16-2012, 07:17 AM
maximariceboi

Yes I am aware kw v3's are progressive springs.

Yea there wasn't much reviews with some of these coilovers..but I've decided to keep my Greddy coilovers and wait for the replacements because there are other priorities now. But thanks for the inputs.

We can keep this thread open though if anyone wars to post up anything regarding to these brands.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:54 AM
Zoom750

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OT:

Maximariceboi,

What did you do for the compression arm bushings? Buy SPL and machined yourself? Or installed as is? I'm looking for a backup plan if L-Fab decides to stop production.

Thanks.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:32 PM
VMRWheels
Vendor - Former Vendor

Definitely would have went with the KWs of those options. Hope everything works out with the Greddy coilovers.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:41 PM
350Z Project X

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The KW V3's +1
correct me if im wrong anyone but a lot of reviews i have heard is that the HKS hypermax arent great for DD. Dont know enough about Cusco to give an opinion
Old 05-17-2012, 07:59 PM
Row2K

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by 350Z Project X
The KW V3's +1
correct me if im wrong anyone but a lot of reviews i have heard is that the HKS hypermax arent great for DD. Dont know enough about Cusco to give an opinion
Not sure where you heard that.

I run HKS Hipermax III coils on my G and daily drive it to work and back. I also have 5 track events on these coils in the past few months. Overall they are an excellent jack of all trades...very very streetable. I would know as Northern Jersey roads are just garbage. On the track they perform very well once turned up to mid stiffness or so.

I will be moving to KW clubsport coilovers rather soon, but only because my car will start spending more time on the track than the street (will pick up a beater 335i for commuting) otherwise I would stick with these coils. My only complaint is that the front springs could be just a bit stiffer, maybe 11kg vs 9kg, but again this is just from a track/HPDE standpoint and honestly easily fixed with the right size coilover spring from swift or eibach or whatever.

my $0.02

regards
Old 05-17-2012, 08:09 PM
Row2K

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

OP after reading your post thoroughly I would recommend you stay away from the pillow ball version of the cuscos as those will make noise and that gets old on a DD car quickly (a rubber bushing version is available). Otherwise they are an excellent choice.

The KW V3s are an excellent damper but the coilovers come with progressive springs, especially in the rear where the spread is something like 240-450lbs (read:huge!) . In other words not ideal if you intend to do occasional track days, this of course is easily rectified with a different set of rear springs and perches.

HKS coils are as per my review and others on G35driver and my350 also very nice and come with linear springs all around.

You really won't go wrong with any of these, I was actually considering these as my top 3 when I was shopping for coils (great minds think alike haha)
Old 05-21-2012, 10:37 AM
maximariceboi

Originally Posted by Zoom750
OT:

Maximariceboi,

What did you do for the compression arm bushings? Buy SPL and machined yourself? Or installed as is? I'm looking for a backup plan if L-Fab decides to stop production.

Thanks.
As for the compression arm bushings..im going with Energy suspension...already got my cores and pressed out the bushings....just need to clean it up more, high temp clear coat and then install the bushings.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:41 AM
maximariceboi

Originally Posted by Row2K
Not sure where you heard that.

I run HKS Hipermax III coils on my G and daily drive it to work and back. I also have 5 track events on these coils in the past few months. Overall they are an excellent jack of all trades...very very streetable. I would know as Northern Jersey roads are just garbage. On the track they perform very well once turned up to mid stiffness or so.

I will be moving to KW clubsport coilovers rather soon, but only because my car will start spending more time on the track than the street (will pick up a beater 335i for commuting) otherwise I would stick with these coils. My only complaint is that the front springs could be just a bit stiffer, maybe 11kg vs 9kg, but again this is just from a track/HPDE standpoint and honestly easily fixed with the right size coilover spring from swift or eibach or whatever.

my $0.02

regards
thanks for the input on this thread. yea i noticed the HKS is a bit on the softer side. Greddy's are 10k front and 8k rear.

Just got off the phone with the guys from greddy...now the shipments wont come in until end of june....thats a really long time for replacements
Old 05-21-2012, 10:42 AM
maximariceboi

Originally Posted by Row2K
OP after reading your post thoroughly I would recommend you stay away from the pillow ball version of the cuscos as those will make noise and that gets old on a DD car quickly (a rubber bushing version is available). Otherwise they are an excellent choice.

The KW V3s are an excellent damper but the coilovers come with progressive springs, especially in the rear where the spread is something like 240-450lbs (read:huge!) . In other words not ideal if you intend to do occasional track days, this of course is easily rectified with a different set of rear springs and perches.

HKS coils are as per my review and others on G35driver and my350 also very nice and come with linear springs all around.

You really won't go wrong with any of these, I was actually considering these as my top 3 when I was shopping for coils (great minds think alike haha)
I noticed you mention a rubber bushing....is this for the front? If so where can i find this? That's one of the pieces I'm waiting for besides the replacement damper.

Thanks!

Also please check your PM.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:17 AM
mdd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have a set of hks hypermax 3 coils for sale. not sure if you are interested. They are a good mix of street and light track duty as people mentioned. I am thinking of going to kw thats why i am switching.