Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Question about fitment of my BBK

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 08:40 PM
ntwillie1

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Question about fitment of my BBK

Hi guys. I purchased a set of OEM Brembo's from another member on this forum. I had them installed today and they are performing and looking excellent. My only concern is this - on the fronts, between the rim and the caliper, i can barely fit a sheet of paper. Is this safe? I already used 5MM spacers front and rear which is how i was able to attain the clearance needed to install them. I don't want to go 10mm spacers because I don't want to have to roll my fenders or rub in anyway. Thanks in advance for the advice.

W

Updated with Photos
Attached Thumbnails Question about fitment of my BBK-front.jpg   Question about fitment of my BBK-paper.jpg   Question about fitment of my BBK-closeup.jpg  

Last edited by ntwillie1; 05-27-2012 at 09:05 AM. Reason: Adding Photos
Old 05-25-2012, 08:59 PM
ronn1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ntwillie1
Hi guys. I purchased a set of OEM Brembo's from another member on this forum. I had them installed today and they are performing and looking excellent. My only concern is this - on the fronts, between the rim and the caliper, i can barely fit a sheet of paper. Is this safe? I already used 5MM spacers front and rear which is how i was able to attain the clearance needed to install them. I don't want to go 10mm spacers because I don't want to have to roll my fenders or rub in anyway. Thanks in advance for the advice.

W
As long as it clears with no signs of rubbing at all, you should be fine. A sheet of paper is pretty damn close though..1mm would be fine, but that's a hell of a lot more than *one sheet*
I don't think adding another 5mm is going to be a problem with fenders though. However, you'll need extended studs. I would be inclined to take that route.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:18 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

My only concern is this - on the fronts, between the rim and the caliper, i can barely fit a sheet of paper. Is this safe?
Thats a tight fit. Nothing in life is truly round and neither are wheels. Remember as components, such as wheel bearings, wear the wheel will have more run out than it does now.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:42 PM
Flo-ridaZ33

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

You'll be fine. My akebono's barely cleared my BBS LM's.
Old 05-26-2012, 08:40 AM
beezee

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

A sheet of paper. Well if you mean a regular printer sheet then it is approx .003-.004 of an inch. That is close. I agree with Flo-ridaZ33 but pay a very close attention to what davidv said. If you decide to leave it where it is, it would be a good idea to do periodic visual checks. You know when it rubs because the paint on the caliper will tell you
Old 05-26-2012, 08:41 AM
ntwillie1

Default bbk fitment

The mechanic told me that as long as it cleared that it would be fine and I didn't have to worry. It looks pretty damn sex. I'm just wondering that if I'm taking a spirited drive if i have to worry about any componenet flexing and possibly making contact. I have 5mm spacers in the front now. Do they make anything like a 6 or 7mm? My understanding is that the next step is 10mm. I don't want 10mm because I don't want to roll my fenders and I don't want to get longer bolts.
Old 05-26-2012, 08:49 AM
SirSpeedyZ

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

My 18" touring spare barely fits my akebono BBK, but it does so doesn't matter

Trending Topics

Old 05-26-2012, 10:43 AM
ronn1

The mechanic told me that as long as it cleared that it would be fine and I didn't have to worry. It looks pretty damn sex. I'm just wondering that if I'm taking a spirited drive if i have to worry about any componenet flexing and possibly making contact. I have 5mm spacers in the front now. Do they make anything like a 6 or 7mm? My understanding is that the next step is 10mm. I don't want 10mm because I don't want to roll my fenders and I don't want to get longer bolts.
It's not necessarily flexing. Heating up of caliper can cause very small expansion. If you have 1mm, you should be ok. That's .04". As pointed out, a sheet of paper is 1/10th of that!
I'm pretty sure you can get 7mm..shop around...but that's on the ragged edge with stud threading. Not a big deal to put new studs in...a wheel shop can press em in for you. It's done all the time. Do it right and get 10mm spacer and no worries. The extra 5mm shouldn't be a problem on outboard clearance.
Old 05-26-2012, 04:57 PM
freddys 350z

not enough clearance. i would not drive it like that for long. 1mm minimum. 2 to be safe.
Old 05-27-2012, 04:04 AM
ntwillie1

Some of you guys are starting to scare me. I think i'm just going to go ahead and order some 10 or 15mm spacers. I was reading a thread (i think jasonzya) created about spacers and one of the first things the guy says is not to use the el cheapo generic spacers. When I looked at the photo that was exactly what the shop I went to used. Plus they had an old dirty medal looking finish to them. So now thats bugging me a bit. Luckily, it only cost me $20 for all 4 and without them I wouldn't ahve been able to get my car home so the truth is I needed them.

Now that I have the car home I will order a proper set. I'm probaby getting 15mm project kics or Ichibav2.. I'm getting these because they come with the extended stud already and I think I can get away with not having to roll the fenders. It seems like the 10mm ones don't come with the extended stud already and I'd have to go through the trouble of getting the studs and having them isntalled. Anyone prefer one brand over another or are they all pretty much the same. The B2 ones don't look too bad either for the price. Thanks.

Last edited by ntwillie1; 05-27-2012 at 04:10 AM.
Old 05-27-2012, 08:07 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Some of you guys are starting to scare me. I think i'm just going to go ahead and order some 10 or 15mm spacers. I was reading a thread (i think jasonzya) created about spacers and one of the first things the guy says is not to use the el cheapo generic spacers. When I looked at the photo that was exactly what the shop I went to used. Plus they had an old dirty medal looking finish to them. So now thats bugging me a bit. Luckily, it only cost me $20 for all 4 and without them I wouldn't ahve been able to get my car home so the truth is I needed them.

Now that I have the car home I will order a proper set. I'm probaby getting 15mm project kics or Ichibav2.. I'm getting these because they come with the extended stud already and I think I can get away with not having to roll the fenders. It seems like the 10mm ones don't come with the extended stud already and I'd have to go through the trouble of getting the studs and having them isntalled. Anyone prefer one brand over another or are they all pretty much the same. The B2 ones don't look too bad either for the price. Thanks.
Post pics first. Second ichiba V1 comes with extended studs, you do not want the v2 or kics crap.
Old 05-27-2012, 08:40 AM
Flo-ridaZ33

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

H&R Trak come with studs.
Old 05-27-2012, 08:42 AM
ntwillie1

Originally Posted by terrasmak
Post pics first. Second ichiba V1 comes with extended studs, you do not want the v2 or kics crap.
But i'd have to get shop to install the studs right? I really thought Kics and Ichiba v2 were decent products? Why do you think they are crap? Have they been known to fail? Just wondering and thanks for your opinion.

Wil
Old 05-27-2012, 08:58 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

But i'd have to get shop to install the studs right? I really thought Kics and Ichiba v2 were decent products? Why do you think they are crap? Have they been known to fail? Just wondering and thanks for your opinion.

Wil
No need for a shop to install the studs, anyone with a man card can easily do it in an hour. If you have spacers 20mm or less get slip on with extended studs, if you need bigger spacers , just buy different wheels.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:08 AM
ntwillie1

Originally Posted by terrasmak
No need for a shop to install the studs, anyone with a man card can easily do it in an hour. If you have spacers 20mm or less get slip on with extended studs, if you need bigger spacers , just buy different wheels.
I am getting 10mm maybe 15mm. I can do basic things to my car like suspension, intakes, plenum, exhaust, etc so I guess I should be able to do this. Never had to deal with this before and didn't know if it ws complicated or required special tools. Thanks for the advice.

btw, I updated original post with pictures.

W
Old 05-27-2012, 09:19 AM
ronn1

Wil
If you get spacers with studs attatched>>>>Make sure your wheels have *pockets* that will clear the existing studs! Any spacer less than 25 (as I recall) will NOT clear your existing wheel studs and you won't be able to mount a wheel that doesn't have pockets (spaces on wheel hub) to take in the protruding stock studs.
Old 05-27-2012, 12:13 PM
suprasam

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there are a couple of threads on how to change out studs. simple process if you go with the BFH method. it only gets complicated with the ARP extended studs

Last edited by suprasam; 05-27-2012 at 04:47 PM.
Old 05-27-2012, 07:16 PM
BoomerZ33

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

brakes look good. now get the ARP extended studs. i got mine installed at JDS Motoring.
Old 05-27-2012, 07:23 PM
ntwillie1

Default Bbk

Originally Posted by BoomerZ33
brakes look good. now get the ARP extended studs. i got mine installed at JDS Motoring.
Thats actually where I got my bbk installed as well and they also supplied the existing spacer. I will call jas tomorrow and see what better spacer he can get forme as well as cost of arp stud installation. Although honestly right now I think I'm leaning more towards a set that already has the extended stud on it cause i would prefer to do it at home.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:21 PM
VMRWheels
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd recommend spacers to add a bit more clearance. While it may not hit like that, it is super close. I'd say 2-3mm at least...

Quick Reply: Question about fitment of my BBK