Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Swift springs on crap coilovers?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 08:33 PM
lotteman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My junk ksport's came with a 7.2kg spring in the true position. it was as, 03threefiftyz put it once, " an oversteering piece of poo". I didnt even have to touch the throttle for the rear to kick out mid corner. Not fun, when youre trying to get real results.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:41 PM
zcspec

Hey OP...you've received a wide range of answers, all with great points. One question, what do you consider a "good price" on the used D2 CO setup? Let's say it's $400, then you add the cost of the Swifts, you're at $600. For the amount that you're spending, have you considering picking up a set of new COs? I dont think anyone has mentioned valving yet, but it places a vital part of the equation. If the valving isn't correct for the Swift springs, your ride might be on either end of the spectrum. Personally, I just picked up and installed a set of Tanabe COs. $900. Yes, it's more costly than what you're considering, but take under consideration...you're buying new items verses used. It's just my .02cents.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:05 PM
lotteman

Originally Posted by zcspec
Hey OP...you've received a wide range of answers, all with great points. One question, what do you consider a "good price" on the used D2 CO setup? Let's say it's $400, then you add the cost of the Swifts, you're at $600. For the amount that you're spending, have you considering picking up a set of new COs? I dont think anyone has mentioned valving yet, but it places a vital part of the equation. If the valving isn't correct for the Swift springs, your ride might be on either end of the spectrum. Personally, I just picked up and installed a set of Tanabe COs. $900. Yes, it's more costly than what you're considering, but take under consideration...you're buying new items verses used. It's just my .02cents.
I think with a crappy brand like D2, shock valving that matches the spring rate is the least of his worries. Its whether or not they have decent valving at all he should worry about.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:53 PM
(ZzzzzZ)

my friend with the d2's says his ride feels a bit bouncy because the left and right coils are adjusted to different heights. His driver side coil is higher to compensate for the weight of the driver, and the passenger side is lower. He says he might have overcompensated by raising the driver side up too much, which is why its causing the sway/bounce. On turns the car with "wobble" a little left to right in quick repeated movements for a second or two as the car is moving straight out of the turn. It this plausible? Its only a 1/4inch-1/2 inch difference in height.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:08 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

Originally Posted by (ZzzzzZ)
my friend with the d2's says his ride feels a bit bouncy because the left and right coils are adjusted to different heights. His driver side coil is higher to compensate for the weight of the driver, and the passenger side is lower. He says he might have overcompensated by raising the driver side up too much, which is why its causing the sway/bounce. On turns the car with "wobble" a little left to right in quick repeated movements for a second or two as the car is moving straight out of the turn. It this plausible? Its only a 1/4inch-1/2 inch difference in height.
Possible, but sounds more like dampening. Typically to corner balance your pass side is actually higher.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:07 AM
VMRWheels
Vendor - Former Vendor

I don't think so. Sounds like the dampers.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:26 AM
ttknf

Originally Posted by VMRWheels
I don't think so. Sounds like the dampers.
Yeah, it sounds like the dampers are really mismatched to the springs. I had this happen to a buddy's car before on a set of JRZs with Swift springs. The spring rates were custom-ordered extra firm, but the rebound and compression of the dampers were adjusted softer for the street, so the ride was a mess; when you'd hit undulations or ruts in the road, you'd feel like you were going to lose control of the car.

Last edited by ttknf; 12-19-2012 at 10:27 AM.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:31 AM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Received 117 Likes on 63 Posts

Wobble=not enough rebound. Since you can't tune it independently on CCC's (cheap Chinese coil-vers), the problem will be likely systemic and incurable unless you soften the springs.
Old 12-19-2012, 02:09 PM
VMRWheels
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by ttknf
Yeah, it sounds like the dampers are really mismatched to the springs. I had this happen to a buddy's car before on a set of JRZs with Swift springs. The spring rates were custom-ordered extra firm, but the rebound and compression of the dampers were adjusted softer for the street, so the ride was a mess; when you'd hit undulations or ruts in the road, you'd feel like you were going to lose control of the car.
Sounds about right. If you don't set your suspension up correctly it's not going to perform optimally!
Old 03-05-2013, 03:22 PM
stevehl

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't believe not a single person with actual experience with swift springs on their coilovers chimed in. Anyone??
Old 03-05-2013, 03:50 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by stevehl
Can't believe not a single person with actual experience with swift springs on their coilovers chimed in. Anyone??
I have swift springs
Old 03-06-2013, 07:05 AM
Chi-TownWarrior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have them, and they do what they're supposed to do.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:54 PM
(ZzzzzZ)

so you guys put swift springs on taiwanese coils and felt a dramatic difference? Or you put swift springs on already brand name coilovers?
Old 03-10-2013, 01:58 AM
ttknf

so you guys put swift springs on taiwanese coils and felt a dramatic difference? Or you put swift springs on already brand name coilovers?
If you swap out for Swifts, you'll feel a difference over the no-name springs that come with the cheapo Chinese coilovers, but it's not going to make them perform like a quality set of dampers. If you concerned about performance, save your money and buy something better quality. (You can also check out the use market for somebody selling a good set of better quality coilovers. Think of it this way, as long as the shock bodies are in good shape, a little bit of use is no big because you can always have them revalved in the future when they wear out, and you'll still be ahead versus buying shitty parts to begin with.)
Old 03-10-2013, 09:07 AM
(ZzzzzZ)

Thank you. I'm not trying to turn the car into a track monster, just a nice dd. The current springs feel too harsh and firm, so I was wondering if swift springs could give the ride a softer feel. Spring rates right now according to the manufacturer are 12/6.5 k front and rear on true style coils. I was thinking of getting 12/5k swift springs.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:45 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Thank you. I'm not trying to turn the car into a track monster, just a nice dd. The current springs feel too harsh and firm, so I was wondering if swift springs could give the ride a softer feel. Spring rates right now according to the manufacturer are 12/6.5 k front and rear on true style coils. I was thinking of getting 12/5k swift springs.
Lets convert over to pounds

Stock front springs 315 pounds or
The common coilover 560 lb front ( 10K )
Your springs 672lb (12k)

Rear 340ish or 430 depending on year
Common rear OEM style 448 lb (8k)
Nismo T2 race springs in OEM location 690lb (12.4K)
Do to the change in leverage when converting to true coilover, 280lb (5k) has the same wheel rate as the 690lb springs.

Other than the dampers and springs are cheap china junk, what else could be your problem?
Old 03-10-2013, 11:40 AM
(ZzzzzZ)

Thanks for the info terramask, but im not as smart as you when it comes to these things so what you wrote doesnt make much sense to me. I just wanted to know if I could run 12/5k front/rear swift springs and have a smoother ride than the stock china springs.
Old 03-26-2024, 08:37 AM
supradad

Default I put Swift springs on my Maxpeedingrods front only

Both springs that came with the crappy MSR(front) coilovers broke in less than a year. They were 14k.
I put 8k Swift springs on and I could not believe what happened! My car handles better then ever.
Smooth and stable. My tires are barely up in the fender wells and barely rub at high speed cornering. Way better then stock set up. I'm waiting on the rear Swift springs (6k)to get here. Should be in a couple days. I have a Supra but I couldn't help replying to this post with some real experience. My front end sticks really well now, very comfortable over bumps, pot hole ruts, speed bumps driveways off main roads. No bounce or rough impact, just sucks everything up. Swift thank God I found these springs.
Old 03-26-2024, 11:10 AM
supradad

Default Maxpeedingrods with Swift springs Z70-203-080

Maxpeedingrods with Swift springs.