Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Problem with ride height

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 08:22 AM
XM 1

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Problem with ride height

so i already mentioned this problem last here at the forum. after a year of storage the car settled about 1cm on all 4 corners on itīs own! so the car was way to low to drive it around here. so since itīs a KW V3 suspension i screwed the car about 1 cm higher to be at the point where i wanted it to be.
after this years winter storage i found out that the rears again settled about 5mm or so ( the car was def. lower than before winter....just the rear). since i was told that this could be because of weak springs i bought some new once from KW and installed them today. what i found out was the the brand new springs where 1cm longer than the old one i took out of the car!!!
so i thought that this was the problem and was happy with the way the car sat afterwards....at least on the one side. so i had to drive outside my driveway to turn the car around to change the spring on ther opposite side. while i drove down the sidewalk i noticed a click from the rear (which must have been the spring setteling or donīt know). so i installed the other side and same happened after i drove down the sidewalk.
back in the garage i noticed that the car was lower than on the outside when i installed the springs!?!?!?! .....nothing to worry here because i can go higher with the car, but i only have 10mm left, because KW tells you to have at thread at a max. of 25mm and iīm already at 15mm!!
but i need at least another 15mm for the car to sit right.
so where else could be the problem with the car being so low in the rear? cause when i installed the suspension on the car the first time i had about 15mm on the rear and plenty of room inbetween the fender and tire! more than i have right now
Old 06-14-2013, 09:48 PM
ronn1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quality springs should not sag at all over time.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:17 PM
XM 1

thatīs what i was thinking too didnīt know KW sucks at all....but it looks like they do!!
Old 06-15-2013, 09:33 AM
kyle22

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Ever find out what that click was? because I am having the same sound coming from the rear as well. Still trying to figure out my ride height adjustment as well. I'm starting to think it may be the spring rate/bad spring or not having the correct rebound/preload on the spring. Might be the same issue you are running into as well.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:55 AM
XM 1

do you think kyle?? well i think that click or clunk was the spring seat setteling after the installation because it just happens once and then itīs gone!?!?! so itīs still a secret
what type of suspension do you have? can you go any higher in the back on yours? iīm at max. and still not there where i want the car to sit sucks
Old 06-15-2013, 11:07 AM
stuartc323

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

here bro ive read both your threads

read my posts in this thread and hopefully that will help you. he had opposite effect on his car but its the same problem

https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-...ing-loose.html
Old 06-15-2013, 11:08 AM
stuartc323

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by XM 1
do you think kyle?? well i think that click or clunk was the spring seat setteling after the installation because it just happens once and then itīs gone!?!?! so itīs still a secret
what type of suspension do you have? can you go any higher in the back on yours? iīm at max. and still not there where i want the car to sit sucks

That clunk is what you might want to check out, a broken seat spring seat or threaded perch could be the problem.
Old 06-15-2013, 11:30 AM
kyle22

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by XM 1
Maybe Im guessing at it myself. I have BC BR coilovers it's OEM style. I can go a little higher with the spring and have more room to play with in the shock. Planning to lower the shock think that is contributing to the click sound. So you have it at the max height but still not as high as you want it? how low are you dropped? are you "true Coilover" or "OEM Style"?

oh and welcome to owning coilovers. Adjustments will never stop, usually takes 6 months to a year to find that perfect suspension tune to meet your needs. Happy tuning

Last edited by kyle22; 06-15-2013 at 11:31 AM.
Old 06-16-2013, 11:20 PM
XM 1

i have a oem style setup, since KW only offers this (as far as i know). the max. thread that should be visible is 25mm, that's what i'm at at the moment.....but i was lower in past with that number (15mm) and the car was way higher than now!!