Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Coilovers vs. Wheels & tires

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 08:15 AM
stuartc323

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by driftsucky
Tires. NOT wheels and tires. JUST tires. Save up for something else. The Z is a SOLID weekend track car from the factory and it looks GOOD in stock form. If anything, save up for a wider 18 or a lighter 18. Unless your track duty is drag racing, a 17 won't provide any benefit and the difference in tires is probably a weeks worth of Starbucks coffee. The Z was setup from Nissan to be, imo, one of the best factory weekend warriors of its time...for the money at least. Again, just opinion.

As far as your suspension is concerned, reducing body roll is what you want to do. Body roll lifts tires. The less tire on the ground, the less grip. Budget suspension (i.e. cheap coils) won't really do that. And I'm speaking from experience. I drift my car and my suspension has really made MUCH of a difference in my track duties. IN all honesty, I feel the car slides the same with it's stock suspension as now. It just looks better when it's 2inches from the ground. Stiffen the chassis up with sways before you go looking to drop. And, side note, that's less expensive than a coilover setup...quality or not.

Take your time. Don't be quick to rush into mods or do fads. If it's not for you, you'll regret it. And find people that DO or DID what you want to do. THOSE are the people who's brains you want to pick.

GL.

Sways dont stiffen up a chassis. and if your worried about looks while your drifitng, you arent doing it right.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:03 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

Tires. NOT wheels and tires. JUST tires. Save up for something else. The Z is a SOLID weekend track car from the factory and it looks GOOD in stock form.
stock works great, but the tires are really narrow for the weight of the car and wear out quickly. Going with 17's as I mention on wider wheels let you run a tire that will take abuse and tires run $75 to $100 a tire cheaper. A lot more than a week of Starbucks.

The only prob with 17's is that not everyone makes a 275/40-17 anymore. NT01 is available in that size, great tire
Old 06-25-2013, 07:43 AM
driftsucky

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by stuartc323
Sways dont stiffen up a chassis. and if your worried about looks while your drifitng, you arent doing it right.
You're right. Keeping a car from rolling in transitions does not stiffen it. And you're right on worrying about looks while engaging in a sport that was largely based on visual appeal for the last 3 decades. Please, tell me more of your insight and wisdom.

That said, I slammed my car because I liked the way a slammed car looks. I ALSO drift and my slammed car looks better drifting than the stock equivalent. Don't read to much into it to prove an internet point chief.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:34 AM
The REAL PigPen

Originally Posted by stuartc323
Like i said before, You have no idea wtf you are talking about PigPen.
So you feel it is fine and completely safe to ride in the rain on some R888s or NT05s, NT01s or something similar?

So, every track tire is recommended for all weather use?

That was my point...
Old 06-25-2013, 09:56 AM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Received 117 Likes on 63 Posts

I race in the rain on A6's....

Little or no standing water=slicks. I would have no issue racing in the rain on full tread R888's or NT01's.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:55 AM
The REAL PigPen

Originally Posted by 03threefiftyz
I race in the rain on A6's....

Little or no standing water=slicks. I would have no issue racing in the rain on full tread R888's or NT01's.

Ooooooo K. Then i stand corrected. Just basing this off the manf site that states "dry track / street". "Tire specified is NOT all season".
Old 06-25-2013, 12:28 PM
driftsucky

it's the internet pigpen. You should know by now, for every thing that doesn't happen in real life, there's somebody that does it on the internet seemingly only to conveniently disprove your point. Like, if I said you could roll a 350Z down a hill and slide it on it's roof into a parking lot and the car would look damaged afterwards, someone will pop up who rolled their car down a hill and slid it into a parking lot on its roof and the paint looked brand new. LOL.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:22 PM
The REAL PigPen

it's the internet pigpen. You should know by now, for every thing that doesn't happen in real life, there's somebody that does it on the internet seemingly only to conveniently disprove your point. Like, if I said you could roll a 350Z down a hill and slide it on it's roof into a parking lot and the car would look damaged afterwards, someone will pop up who rolled their car down a hill and slid it into a parking lot on its roof and the paint looked brand new. LOL.

Damn these interwebs!
Old 06-25-2013, 01:35 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

You're right. Keeping a car from rolling in transitions does not stiffen it. And you're right on worrying about looks while engaging in a sport that was largely based on visual appeal for the last 3 decades. Please, tell me more of your insight and wisdom.

That said, I slammed my car because I liked the way a slammed car looks. I ALSO drift and my slammed car looks better drifting than the stock equivalent. Don't read to much into it to prove an internet point chief.
Since when did the OP ask or care about drifting? Also, in the past 5 years drift cars have been moving away from looks to functional. Any FD car in the top 8, possibly top 16 has a proper roadrace suspension with roadrace style suspension travel. They did this to make the cars easier to control and bring the sport to the next level. Only the small time chumps still go off the slammed to the ground to slide crap.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:17 PM
SE5spd

Originally Posted by The REAL PigPen
So you feel it is fine and completely safe to ride in the rain on some R888s or NT05s, NT01s or something similar?

So, every track tire is recommended for all weather use?

That was my point...
I went out in a S2000 on NT01 before in rain, it wasn't too bad.

275 NT01 on 9" wheel? seems too big for the wheel?
Old 06-25-2013, 03:21 PM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Received 117 Likes on 63 Posts

I'd rather have 245 or 255's on a 9" wheel. 275's for 10+" width.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:07 PM
Emski

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a question that might be relevant to OP. Would you guys run a 255 or even 265 on factory front 18x8 wheels?
Old 06-25-2013, 05:55 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by Emski
I have a question that might be relevant to OP. Would you guys run a 255 or even 265 on factory front 18x8 wheels?
255 max , but would rather buy new wheels.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:26 PM
driftsucky

Originally Posted by terrasmak
Since when did the OP ask or care about drifting? Also, in the past 5 years drift cars have been moving away from looks to functional. Any FD car in the top 8, possibly top 16 has a proper roadrace suspension with roadrace style suspension travel. They did this to make the cars easier to control and bring the sport to the next level. Only the small time chumps still go off the slammed to the ground to slide crap.
Wellllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll , given that I am not nor do I plan to be sponsored and I am at a grassroots level and drift at MAYBE half the speed of a pro level and probably 20-40mph slower than that of a pro-am, I would be a "small time chump". That said, roadrace suspension is because power and speed has increased GREATLY (even past D1) and proper suspension setup is GENERALLY needed to control an 800hp car that weighs 3400lbs traveling 100+mph sideways with limited traction. Howwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwever, if you look at D1 (gotta tie it all back in), cars are still slammed. Even in Europe and New Zealand, COMPETITION cars are still slammed. Why, you may ask? Well, most of the pro cars in these areas are not backed by manufacturers. Many have tire sponsors (obviously) and shop sponsors. But the money thrown at the motorsport does not compare to what it is here. Which is odd because in Japan, it is far more popular. I mean, Ford, GM, Dodge (once upon a time) Scion/Toyota, major motor brands backing cars here. That is why you see Vipers, C6 Corvettes, Mustangs, various Pontiacs, RWD converted Tc's, etc..where as that variation doesn't appear in other countries. All that to say that you won't find NASCAR motors and brand new crate engines flying off the shelves in other countries and thusly won't see 100+mph entries or cars that weigh more in "race form" than our cars in factory trim and largly, no need to sit 5 inches up. While that has absolutely nothing to do with me or my motivations, it does poke ever so many holes in your synapses.

drifting was simply giving a point of reference to why I said what I said. savvy?
Old 06-25-2013, 06:39 PM
stogey420time
Club Moderator
the Hot Spot

Received 78 Likes on 54 Posts

I can't believe yaw are still arguing over this bs, this clearly is a **** contest b/c OP had left the building and started two useless thread about is it worth buying a set of $2,000 KW coils or Used coilovers... it's obvious he's thinking coils.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:33 PM
driftsucky

he's getting used KW V3. but only cuz my **** was stronger.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:14 AM
stuartc323

Wow mods lock this thread before more useless info is being thrown in here
Old 06-26-2013, 02:42 PM
driftsucky

...he replied uselessly...
Old 06-26-2013, 11:39 PM
palepony

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nsobh5
I've been to the track enough to know what problems my car has (a lot)... It's inability to keep 4 wheels on the ground and utilize maximum grip as well as handle weight transfers and body roll stick out most to me. I could care less for looks, because to me either way it's going to look good and stance and all the ******** are irrelevant
Will post to OP (outside the other bickering) - thanks for response. Hope you saw my comment on not trying to be too harsh.

glad to hear you have track time to comment on:

Elaborate on you problem keeping 4 wheels on the ground?
couple things to consider:
which wheel is losing traction, is the rear inside wheel getting airborne?
wrong lines, hitting berms unnecessarily?
too stiff sway bar settings? (do you have adjustables?)

we have a starting point, now that "stance" and look are secondary (or not relevant at all) - good to hear by the way.

terra and threefifty have much more experience, listen to what they say

as for my path - was like threefifty said - I did tires first, made a world of difference; I did quaife next which was also a significant improvement (I haven't lifted a tire yet but my tracks are limited and flat); suspension is last.

pp

edit - sorry, saw your other thread - can reply here or there.

Last edited by palepony; 06-26-2013 at 11:58 PM. Reason: OP has other relevent thread
Old 06-27-2013, 08:18 AM
stuartc323

I think OP said he was going with KW V3 coilovers

edit - Just read the bottom of your post, my bad

Last edited by stuartc323; 06-27-2013 at 08:19 AM.

Quick Reply: Coilovers vs. Wheels & tires