Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

coils or springs daily!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 09:26 PM
BlackZ3fifty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coils or springs daily!

Whats up guys I'm new to the 350z scene came over from hondas I know I know..but I got a real job now im only 22..picked up a 04 350z roadster I daily drive it 60 miles to work and 60 miles back was wondering for a better ride quality would you go with coilovers or springs and what other upgrades would you recomend to do at the same time reasonable prices....car is completely stock

thanks!!
Old 08-11-2013, 09:52 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,298 Likes on 1,655 Posts

Springs are good shocks will be better, unless you want to spend $1500+ for coilovers.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:55 PM
BlackZ3fifty

Originally Posted by terrasmak
Springs are good shocks will be better, unless you want to spend $1500+ for coilovers.
Found raceland coils for 469 they any good do you know of
Old 08-11-2013, 11:02 PM
BlackZ3fifty

Or a tokico shock and spring package for 510
Old 08-11-2013, 11:11 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,298 Likes on 1,655 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackZ3fifty
Or a tokico shock and spring package for 510
That wouldn't be bad, much better than Raceland crap.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:47 AM
Landon_G03z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Found raceland coils for 469 they any good do you know of
Please. Do not. For the sake of the z's reputation. That is the cheapest coils you can find and you will be able to tell in quality and ride comfort.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:40 AM
Landon_G03z

If you buy coils, be prepared to 1) spend at least 1300 or 2) don't tell anyone on this board you got them because there are still a lot of guys who respect their cars on here. And no one wants to see cheap parts put on one.. That's for the Hondas.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:51 AM
WTFMike

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Umm, I think you are confused about what you are looking for, OP. In your first post you mention "better ride quality", but then, you ask about the cheapest coil overs you could find. So, do you want cheap or better ride quality? It is real hard to get both.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:31 AM
stuartc323

OP came over from hondas, trying to buy Z parts at honda prices, Z falls apart because OP built it like a honda. Just relaying what my crystal ball says.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:12 AM
BlackZ3fifty

I didnt say cheap is said reasonable, no one made any suggestions on brand or price so I saw Raceland ive never heard of them
Old 08-12-2013, 11:47 AM
CptWiggles

If you won't be putting a cage in the car then you shouldn't be tracking it, so I would go springs and shocks. You could just get some springs for now until the stock shocks blow, then replace the shocks at that point with bilstein sports. As far as spring brands go, Hypercoil is way up there, then Swift Eibach Hotchkis. I suppose as long as you go with a reputable company for springs you should be fine.

Edit: If you're gonna do something do it right the first time so you don't have to do it again.

Last edited by CptWiggles; 08-12-2013 at 11:48 AM.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:48 AM
Waiz
Premier Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

If ride quality is your only concern then just upgrade your shocks as Terrasmak suggested

If you want the height and stiffness adjustability and then you should go with coilovers
Old 08-12-2013, 12:04 PM
BlackZ3fifty

Thanks for the suggestions I got mixed reviews on just doing springs heard it was too bouncy? Im not on a track or beating the car up 120miles a day just want a nice agressive look def dont need it slams
Old 08-12-2013, 12:04 PM
CptWiggles

Some standard lowering springs paired with some Bilstein Sports will do you very nice.

http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/s...8&autoModClar=

http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/S...8&autoModClar=

Starting point

Last edited by CptWiggles; 08-12-2013 at 12:11 PM.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:45 PM
pyshin

Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts

You should read through some of the sticky threads at the top of this sub-forum to educate yourself on your new Z's suspension

Also, if you want a reference on how certain lowering springs will look on your Z, check out this thread: https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-...re-thread.html

And of course, please do not buy Raceland... quality coilovers will easily start at $1000-1500 in good used condition
Old 08-12-2013, 02:20 PM
Landon_G03z

Thanks for the suggestions I got mixed reviews on just doing springs heard it was too bouncy? Im not on a track or beating the car up 120miles a day just want a nice agressive look def dont need it slams
I'm pretty sure it's too bouncy because the stock shocks will blow quickly after spring install. Like within 1k miles. I have no experience here it's just what I've read.
Old 08-12-2013, 03:42 PM
pyshin

Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Landon_G03z
I'm pretty sure it's too bouncy because the stock shocks will blow quickly after spring install. Like within 1k miles. I have no experience here it's just what I've read.
I have not heard of lowering springs blowing out oem shocks in less than 1k miles

Many lowering springs are manufactured to run with oem/oem replacement shocks' valving, which would be completely safe to run with them with no issues

Other lowering springs state that they are meant to be run with performance aftermarket shocks (usually means the spring rate is higher) in which case you should plan accordingly or prepare for lower suspension with a horrible feel with oem/oem replacement shocks.
Old 08-12-2013, 03:49 PM
X.et

You should post a picture of what kind of drop you are looking for, recommendations definitely depend on how low you are looking to go. Also if possible you would want to try to ride in someone's car with a similar setup, you will lose quite a bit of comfort on the majority of setups compared to stock. And don't forget to factor in the cost of rear (and possible front) camber kits and alignment into your budget.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:27 PM
grug1

Originally Posted by X.et
You should post a picture of what kind of drop you are looking for, recommendations definitely depend on how low you are looking to go. Also if possible you would want to try to ride in someone's car with a similar setup, you will lose quite a bit of comfort on the majority of setups compared to stock. And don't forget to factor in the cost of rear (and possible front) camber kits and alignment into your budget.
I gained more ride comfort in going from stock suspension in a 06 to Swift Spec R springs and Bilstein B8 shocks.

Chassis feels a lot tighter and more comunicative without the bone jarring I used to experience driving on less than perfect surfaces.

It's an extremely surprising case of win win when it comes to modified suspension.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:52 PM
driftsucky

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Alright, so true story. I'm at lunch today, and I'm reading through modified mag. I work at a Ford dealership and they had a story on the Focus ST. So, as I turn the page, I see this....

The FIRST 2 PEOPLE I thought of INSTANTLY were Stuart and Terra. And I said to myself, I should post this just to **** them off. And I laughed to myself and kept reading. Then, low and behold, this pops up.

Aaaaaaaanywho, OP, learn about suspension (and everything else). Don't just look for cheap parts. You need to know what you want your car to do and then formulate a plan on how to do that. I am a HORRIBLE example because I have budget coils and unfunctional ride height. But, I also don't drive my car more than 1000 miles a year (and honestly I doubt I'm anywhere near that) and most of that is out of state shows. And I actually lurked the nico forums for like a solid year before I bought my 1st Z or any parts. Key is research. Another thing, do it right the 1st time. Again, I'm not a great example of that cuz I have this thing where I'd rather have the part and know full well it's capability as opposed to just making assumptions like MOST people do. But, there are quite a few knowledgeable individuals to guide you through your transition.

BETTER ride quality will be pricey for our platform. But, it doesn't sound like you have any use for coil overs. spring and strut setup may get you back to factory comfort. If they've never been done, your car's suspension could just be worn.

Quick Reply: coils or springs daily!