Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Swap Stoptech BBK for Wilwood?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 08:59 AM
MeinVinyl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swap Stoptech BBK for Wilwood?

I bought my 2008 with Stoptech front BBK (4piston 332x32 slotted) and with stoptech rear oem slotted rotors and pads. Everything is still basically new. About 1500 miles on the setup.

However, I came across a deal to trade my brake setup for a Wilwood 14"/13" 6/4 piston setup with slotted rotors as well. Supposedly brand new.

I looked up the costs and the Stoptech seems to be more expensive, but I'd like to have the 6/4 piston setup more.

I think it be worth it, but is the Wilwood as good as the Stoptech? I know price doesn't always determine quality, but the only other personal experience with a BBK I have was with BAER about 9 years ago. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:31 AM
pyshin

Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts

Wilwood is a very solid and reputable brand. I believe that terrasmak (a mod on here) runs a 6/4 setup on his track Z, I'm sure he'll chime in at some point. But I think that trade would be in your favor, especially if everything is brand new. Let us know what you end up doing
Old 01-30-2014, 09:33 AM
QTB

I'd say it depends on the use. If your car is a cruiser, then the Wilwood is fine but so is the stock setup. If it's going to be a track car, well, you see Stoptech at the track, not Wilwood. I'm not saying Wilwood isn't track worthy just it's usually not the preferred setup by track rats.

Last edited by QTB; 01-30-2014 at 09:35 AM.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:00 AM
MeinVinyl

It will see track time which is the main reason I bought this particular Z
KW Variant 3 Coils
Hotchkins Sways
Tomei Final Drive
Quaife LSD
Z1 clutch/aluminum flywheel (swapping to ACT when it goes)
Stoptech Front BBK and rear upgrades (oem caliper)

Track definitely won't be it's primary function, but I figured about 4 track events a year. I figured the Wilwood 6/4 setup would help, but I see where you're coming from QTB.

Previous owner said it had the 6 piston BBK on it already, but I found out otherwise when the car was delivered. Along with a few other things he "forgot to mention" (6th time buying a car not personally seen, 1st that had issues)

I suppose I may just save up money for the Stoptech 6/4 setup then unless someone else chimes in about Wilwood's track performance.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:58 AM
QTB

Originally Posted by MeinVinyl
It will see track time which is the main reason I bought this particular Z
KW Variant 3 Coils
Hotchkins Sways
Tomei Final Drive
Quaife LSD
Z1 clutch/aluminum flywheel (swapping to ACT when it goes)
Stoptech Front BBK and rear upgrades (oem caliper)

Track definitely won't be it's primary function, but I figured about 4 track events a year. I figured the Wilwood 6/4 setup would help, but I see where you're coming from QTB.

Previous owner said it had the 6 piston BBK on it already, but I found out otherwise when the car was delivered. Along with a few other things he "forgot to mention" (6th time buying a car not personally seen, 1st that had issues)

I suppose I may just save up money for the Stoptech 6/4 setup then unless someone else chimes in about Wilwood's track performance.

That looks like a great setup that will be lots of fun....and since you're very close to MAM (I'm in KC and it's a very fun track) I'm sure you'll get to exploit it.

I'm currently running a stop tech 4/2 setup and have not had any issues with fade and I'm hitting about 150mph on the straights and average about 80-85 mph overall on most of the tracks in our region with my current setup. Hell I'm not even using brake ducting... HA. The key is just run a good pad and keep it appropriate for your tire selection. I ran the OEM rears for quite a while and the only issue I had was high pad consumption rates. I later found out I bough my ST calipers used and they were not the correct piston diameter so I had a large amount of rear bias that I didn't notice until I got ST rear calipers.

Either way you'll have a blast with that car. Perhaps I'll see you at a fast Friday event. I'm usually the only LS swapped Z there
Old 01-30-2014, 05:35 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,309 Likes on 1,663 Posts

I would stick to Stoptech, really no reason to change. They are both quality kits, both have quality pads available. The only thing I would do I get a rear Brembo or stop tech set.
Old 01-31-2014, 05:13 AM
MeinVinyl

I was planning on getting rear Stoptech BBK when I first got the car, but I do already have rear Stoptech slotted rotors & pads, just OEM calipers (still not preferred).

Depending where I end up on this build, I may go up to the 6/4 setup with Stoptech down the road. But by the sounds of it, I haven't been given much of a reason to swap away from Stoptech, so I'll stick that out.

I still need to figure out which wheels I want to go with for the track. Previous owner used the Enkei RPF-1s. I'm looking at picking up some LMGT4s (super light) or Advan RG-Ds 18x10.5 square setup. We'll see. I have some time before then. The current wheel/tire setup isn't for performance (Heavy 19s with some NeoGens)

I might see you out at MAM, but I'm curious to get to some of the tracks I haven't been on in years (used to road race on 2 wheels) like Laguna, Road America, Barber Park, Road Atlanta, and Watkins. I can't even remember all of the tracks but those were my favorites.
Old 01-31-2014, 08:57 PM
SE5spd

Get 18x10.5 rpf1 nt03 or pf01
Old 02-09-2014, 08:34 AM
kylin nelson

we have been putting the wilwood6/4 on basiacly every car we build and there amazing brakes that last i would sugest getting them if your going to beating your z up and if you wanna go big get some baer mono block 6/6 with 15 inch they are monsters that stop you in a big hurry