Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

What Nissan/Infiniti BASE brakes will work on 04 350z?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 12:44 PM
350Zenith

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Nissan/Infiniti BASE brakes will work on 04 350z?

So the question about 370z/G37 Akebono brakes on a 350z has been beat to death. Please realize that is not the information I am looking for. I have been spending all day trying to find info about whether or not the base model 370z/G37 sedan/coupe brakes will fit on the 350z? I have an 04 350z with the single caliper and am looking to do a mild upgrade to the dual caliper front and larger rear rotors found in the '06-08 models. I plan to track only sparingly at Putnam Park and sometimes Mid-Ohio, so I don't need to spend the $2K on a bbk set up, at least not yet. I figure SS brake lines, motul fluid, some quality pads, and the new rotors and calipers should be enough for my skill level.

Problem is I can't really find any 06-08 350z brakes for sale lately. However, I've seen a lot of 2011-2012 g37non-sport sedan and coupe brakes for sale as well as some non-sport 370 packages for good prices. On one for sale post though for the 2011 or 2012 g37 non-sport brakes the owner said he had an 08 g37 coupe and was selling them because he thought they would fit, but they didn't. This leads me to believe that they won't work on my 350z either. Also, from what I've seen the rear bracket for the rear caliper looks slightly different for the newer g37 base brakes compared to the 06-08 350z rear brake caliper bracket.

Was their a change in base brake design sometime around 2011?

Does this affect both 370Zs and G37s or just the G37s?

Also, are their other Nissan/Infiniti models with the base 2 piston brakes and larger rear rotors that will work on our 350s such as the M45, FX35 and/or Armada? I would assume the 06-08 Nissan Maxima's would.

I checked the front and rear rotor sizes for the replacement parts for 2009 370z and the 2006 350z and they are the exact same size according to both Autozone and Advance, so I would assume that the 370z base calipers are the same as the standard calipers on the 06-08 350z.

Can someone please confirm this for me?

Any information that members may have would be really helpful. Also, sorry if this is a repeated question, but like I said I've searched extensively and have not been able to find this specific information. If it's out there, it must be under some other subject that I didn't search. Thanks.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:02 AM
kilogram

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

It seems logical that any front brakes that fit the same uprights that fit Akebonos (which are an '11+ design) will not directly fit the 350Z, as the Akebono fronts require adapter brackets to fit the 350Z hubs.

That doesn't mean you couldn't pick up some cheap brackets and bolt on some later standard brakes. I know people sell the adapters on ebay for >$100, and I believe the rears are direct bolt on. You'd need to make sure the shape of the standard caliper brackets is conducive to being mounted on the adapters. Some of the standard brake brackets are mostly straight across the bottom and probably wouldn't work. The '11+ convertible calipers should fit with a little grinding to round off the mounting ears though (this is assuming they mount on the same side of the bracket as the Akebonos)..

It's worth mentioning that the G37 convertibles use larger rotors than the G37 standards (330mm front and rear vs. 320/307), but their front calipers are single piston (I agree with Carroll smith that sliding calipers are an abomination in an performance application, but that's beyond the scope of this discussion). They're slightly larger diameter, but thinner than track Brembos.

They all use the same postage stamp-sized pads though, and that will likely be your limiting factor. The rotor is essentially a heat exchanger for the pads, as "fade" is really just the pad's µ dropping off as temps spike. Maintaining heat flux into the rotor and away from the pad is how you keep the pads cool enough to keep from fading, and the small pads have less surface area to transfer heat (and less overall thermal mass).

Rockauto sells the vert calipers for about $100ea remanned (the others as well), front and rear. Rotors are cheap either way you go. That said, RA sells remanned Akebono calipers for only about $50 more per caliper than standards. It's probably worth the extra $200 to get the larger calipers/pads.

Last edited by kilogram; 03-18-2014 at 10:10 AM.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:47 AM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

I'll likely have all 4 base calipers from my '08 for sale in the next couple of weeks. ~35K miles, EBC Red pads with ~5K, but it's not worth shipping the rotors. Watch for my FS listing, if you can wait that long.
Old 03-19-2014, 09:25 PM
350Zenith

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info on that kilogram. So definitely stay away from the 11+ models. I see what your saying about the base brakes not working since they also must fit the akebonos on those models. However, I would assume that there is an entirely different caliper bracket with those compared to the bracket on the base brakes. Given that the rotors are the same size in the 06-08 as the 09, I still think that the 370z base brakes will work on the 350z. Also, the g37 came out in 08 even though the 350z was still in production, so I'd also assume the base brakes for both those models were the same. Unless of course they changed the base brakes on only the g37. But I doubt they'd do that since it'd cost more. Hopefully I won't have to figure that out the hard way though if I can get dcains brakes though ha.