Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

WilWood BBK on a 03 0350z

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 06:55 AM
YorkshireBeast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by anunbreakable1
Yes we noticed both fans weren't turning on after leaving the car running at a gas station, and came back out to see radiator fluid everywhere which I'm guessing boiled over out of the reserve.

With these akebono's is there anything besides the wheels being 18' required? For instance on carid they have the regular, and brembo package options so even though they aren't brembo's do I need to pick the option since they are technically larger? And if this was a very stupid question I apologize. I'll be the first to admit I'm garbage at this since this is my first time modding a car in anyway.
The 350Z set-up sees one fan for cooling and one for A/C. Your problem is two fold; your fans aren't turning, and your coolant aint pumping.

First the fans...If both your fans aren't operating (with A/C turned on & engine running), it's likely to be a faulty unit. This is worst case scenario as the unit will need to be replaced ($$$). If only the A/C fan runs then the problem could be more simple, a sensor, specifically your thermostat. A bad one of these may partially/wholly blind the EMS to the need to turn on the coolant fan.

The coolant...Your reserve overspill (assuming it IS a reserve overspill and not a leaking radiator/reservoir) could be because you overfilled the coolant (when the car is cold you should only fill to 1/2 way between MIN & MAX mark, as the coolant expands under engine operation), however other possible reasons are a poorly fitting/worn radiator cap (encourages a pressure disparity), bad thermostat (same as above), or a malfunctioning water pump.

My advice, in this order...Check radiator cap & replace if worn. Turn on your engine & A/C for a few minutes - assess for at least 1 fan turning. If 1 turns, locate your thermostat & check for operation/malfunction (replace if faulty). If the problem persists, remove your water pump & check for malfunction (replace if faulty/excessive wear). If problem still persists or if neither fan turns, remove the fan unit & inspect for damage/malfunctions (replace if faulty/damaged and curse your bad luck).

Re: your brakes, both options it gives should be for the larger brakes - the reason it offers a Brembo option is usually because Brembo set-ups have different sized brake lines/hoses which may have small differences in their banjo's,connectors etc. You should only order Brembo package if your Z came out the factory with the "GT spec" Brembo brakes as standard/optional extra.

Hope this helps Good luck on your Z restoration!
Old 02-16-2015, 08:26 AM
anunbreakable1

Originally Posted by YorkshireBeast
The 350Z set-up sees one fan for cooling and one for A/C. Your problem is two fold; your fans aren't turning, and your coolant aint pumping.

First the fans...If both your fans aren't operating (with A/C turned on & engine running), it's likely to be a faulty unit. This is worst case scenario as the unit will need to be replaced ($$$). If only the A/C fan runs then the problem could be more simple, a sensor, specifically your thermostat. A bad one of these may partially/wholly blind the EMS to the need to turn on the coolant fan.

The coolant...Your reserve overspill (assuming it IS a reserve overspill and not a leaking radiator/reservoir) could be because you overfilled the coolant (when the car is cold you should only fill to 1/2 way between MIN & MAX mark, as the coolant expands under engine operation), however other possible reasons are a poorly fitting/worn radiator cap (encourages a pressure disparity), bad thermostat (same as above), or a malfunctioning water pump.

My advice, in this order...Check radiator cap & replace if worn. Turn on your engine & A/C for a few minutes - assess for at least 1 fan turning. If 1 turns, locate your thermostat & check for operation/malfunction (replace if faulty). If the problem persists, remove your water pump & check for malfunction (replace if faulty/excessive wear). If problem still persists or if neither fan turns, remove the fan unit & inspect for damage/malfunctions (replace if faulty/damaged and curse your bad luck).

Re: your brakes, both options it gives should be for the larger brakes - the reason it offers a Brembo option is usually because Brembo set-ups have different sized brake lines/hoses which may have small differences in their banjo's,connectors etc. You should only order Brembo package if your Z came out the factory with the "GT spec" Brembo brakes as standard/optional extra.

Hope this helps Good luck on your Z restoration!
Your a bad *** sir on the radiator portion. One fan turned on after having the ac on while the other just sat there figuring out what day it is I guess lol. So just for my own piece of mind I may spring for a new nismo thermo, arc, or koyo rad, silicone hoses and a new fan housing with new fans, and the motors. (She's already got 108k miles on her, and she will be my daily driver.... and I drive alot).

Thank you SO much man!
Old 02-20-2015, 01:48 PM
Row2K

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

+1 everyone who said used OEM brembo brakes. More than enough even for the track with some quality pads and cooling, plus you will save like a cubic foot of 1$ bills....which is a lot of 1$ bills
Old 02-24-2015, 11:31 AM
anunbreakable1

Originally Posted by Row2K
+1 everyone who said used OEM brembo brakes. More than enough even for the track with some quality pads and cooling, plus you will save like a cubic foot of 1$ bills....which is a lot of 1$ bills
^^^^ I like your style sir
Old 02-24-2015, 11:48 AM
anunbreakable1

Default Akebono 14' bbk

Hello all quick update.

I decided to go with the Akebono 14' kit. MASSIVE SHOUTOUT to Squalz, and Yorkshirebeast who helped me.

I'll be doing the install sometime this week, or weekend. It is the full front, and rear kit, and was hoping to get maybe a few tips as to the installation process? I also have ordered 2 new Rear wheel hubs, and Bearings as well for the rear.

Would it be better to work on the front's first, or the rears, or is there no real preference?

Also any suggestions, or tips for bleeding the brakes? Aside from don't get the fluid everywhere, and to not get air into the system. Are there any suggestions as to how to be able to not get air in the system? Are there any slick techniques that can get the entire system bled effectively?

I've said it before, and I will reiterate. This is my first Z, and this is my first time doing a job such as this.
Attached Thumbnails WilWood BBK on a 03 0350z-akebono-s.jpg  
Old 02-27-2015, 04:34 AM
Row2K

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

hey, good choice on the akebono brakes. One of the guys that goes to the track with me runs these with nismo brake ducts and Hawk pads (HP+ ...I think) with good results.

For bleeding do yourself a favor and invest in the Motive power bleeder. It's $60 and it will be one of the best purchases you've ever made:
http://www.oakos.com/Merchant2/merch...t_Code=MP-0107