Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Track drivers...two different rotors/pads on fronts vs rears?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 07:29 AM
pfft

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Track drivers...two different rotors/pads on fronts vs rears?

For track drivers who track their Z, would I have any issues in braking if I were to have a different type of rotor and track pad on the front vs what I have on the rear?

I want to try a different track pad on the front, but my existing front rotors are already bedded in with the Carbotech XP10 pads, and Carbotech says to NOT bed in a different pad on an already bedded in rotor. Well, I'm not going to turn the rotor, so if I just bought 2 new rotors for the front (probably go with some cheaper ones) and the new track pads (i.e. Hawk DTC-60's), would this be ok if I'm running Stoptech slotted rotors with Carbotech XP10's in the rear?

I feel like it would be fine because the fronts will have comparable stopping power to what's already in the rears, and the rears don't do much anyway, but does anyone have any experience with having done something this?
Old 06-01-2015, 09:21 AM
guitman32

Received 108 Likes on 90 Posts

Running different rotors doesn't matter, so youre fine there. I would definitely get fresh front rotors to match the pads as I would hate to see your new pads deteriorate prematurely because they weren't bedded properly. Look into Centric premium rotors for affordable rotors that hold up to the abuse (personally I would go with blanks).

Regarding the pad compound difference front to rear...It should work fine, but you still aren't guaranteed that the mu levels are going to be similar, and both pads will have different heat cycling characteristics...though I found the XP10s aren't very heat sensitive, and tend to be pretty consistent throughout their heat range. Pad wear levels wont be representative.
Old 06-01-2015, 10:23 AM
pfft

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guitman32, pretty much what I thought, and yeah, I was looking at the Centric Premium High Carbon Brake Rotors (blanks), for a relatively cheaper option that can take some abuse and not wrap. The more I read, the more I'm leaning towards blanks as the best option even under heavy braking. I obviously knew that drilled is a no-no, so I went with slotted rotors, but blanks may still be the better choice.