Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Coilovers with height adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2004, 04:34 PM
dnguyent

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coilovers with height adjustment

I'm not too familiar with coilovers with height and damping adjustment, so any input would be appreciated. Here is my bulletlist of newbie questions:

1. From what I understand, once you intall lowering springs, you need to realign the car to bring it into specs. Do coilovers work the same way?

2. If so, do you have to realign the car everytime you change your suspension height?

3. I consider installing an aftermarket exhaust system or CAI a DIY type of job. Would removing OEM shocks and springs and replacing them with a coilover system be almost as simple? I've heard it costs $450-$500 to install coilovers and do an alignment.

4. For the folks that have adjustable coilovers, do you have a certain height for the street, and another setting for the track? Or, do you leave it alone, and only adjust the damping?

5. Is corner weighing required or merely recommended for a new coilover setup. Who does this (dealership, auto repair shop?), and how much would this normally cost?

I basically want to lower my car by roughly 3/4" in the near future. I know installing lowering springs will be the most economical route, however I've been keenly interested in taking my car to the track this year, and would rather plan for the future so that I don't buy springs and install them this year only to buy coilovers next year. I only plan to track my car about 3 times per year (as much as my wallet allows now), so any suggestions from those with track time would be appreciated.

With plans to track the car a few time a year, I have considered:
1. Nismo S-Tune suspension (advantage: vehicle warranty)
2. Tein Flex (advantage: fully adjustable for only $250 more than the Nismo)
3. Get lowering springs (Tein, RSR, Eibach) now, then eventually match with better shocks later (koni). Advantage: most economical

Wow, that was a long post.... TIA for your input.
Old 02-11-2004, 08:30 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

All the questions have been answered already but here is a recap

1. From what I understand, once you intall lowering springs, you need to realign the car to bring it into specs. Do coilovers work the same way?
Not always true. Depends how much you lowered it and where your alignment started off at (dont assume it was to spec when you got the car). I had mne checked before and after the RSR soring install and I changed rear camber by a negliable amount...I did not have to have my car realigned afterwards.

you SHOULD get it checked though before and after, to be sure you are within specs.

2. If so, do you have to realign the car everytime you change your suspension height?
Theoretically, yes, but again, depends how low you go or how big your changes are.

3. I consider installing an aftermarket exhaust system or CAI a DIY type of job. Would removing OEM shocks and springs and replacing them with a coilover system be almost as simple? I've heard it costs $450-$500 to install coilovers and do an alignment
Onl you can answer your level of skill. It's certainly not brain surgery, so not hard to do at all..but at the same time, it can be frustrating if you are not used to doing it.

. Is corner weighing required or merely recommended for a new coilover setup. Who does this (dealership, auto repair shop?), and how much would this normally cost
First thing is can the coilover you buy even BE cornerweighted. if it allows single height adjustments (via lower spring perch) you cannot cornerweight them, since you'll end up with different rideheights corner to corner. If its 2 way height adjustable (via lower spring perch AND lower bracket, where it mounts to the suspension arm, then it can be cornerweighted. You will be able to adjust rideheight and preload to even out your conerweighting. To really answer you - if its a street car, i would certainly not bother except for adding another "mod" to your list. if the car will be tracked often, then its definitely worthwhile.

There are literally tons of suspension choices to choose from..many moe than you listed. talk to guys who have each setup. Try to attend a local meet and go for a ride in cars with the systems you are considering. Remember tires and wheels have a HUGE effect on handling and ride quality, as much if not moreso than coilovers will. Keep this is in mind when looking and comparing your options. I know on my Z, changing my wheels and tires from the stock Potenza's/17's to 18 inch Work wheels and T1S made the single bigest change not only in turn in, corner speed, but also the car got much more comfortable and much quieter in everyday driving....can't beat that!

Good luck and if you have questions, even just to get a better handle on your options, feel free to let us know..always happy to help

Adam