Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers
View Poll Results: Which brakes are better for minor track use
Small brakes - Performance pads & Rotors
0%
Akebono brakes - Stock rotors and pads
100.00%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Stock Brakes (track pads/rotors) VS Akebono (stock rotors/pads)

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 06:05 AM
DJKapeesh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Stock Brakes (track pads/rotors) VS Akebono (stock rotors/pads)

I'm new to the 350z Community
I'm approaching my first SCC track day on the 18th
In an effort to prepare for track use and not die, I'm trying to make a decision

I have 2 choices of now

1# $500 - Stock small brakes
Stoptech front and rear performance pads
Stoptech front slotted rotors
Stoptech rear Cryotreated - slotted rotors

2# $1000 - Akebono
Front & Rear stock brakes w/ rotors
Front brackets for mounting
Front steel brake lines

3# CHEAP Braked and Rotors (of ceramic quality)
Cheap brakes and rotors I expect to destroy and replace after the track

I need to know if option #1 will be enough for track use or even if option #2 can handle 3x 10 minute sessions on the track?
What is the best option here? This doesn't include fluid and install prices

Last edited by DJKapeesh; 04-06-2017 at 10:59 AM.
Old 04-06-2017, 09:00 AM
ottacat

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

To be honest, if this is your very first day you will be fine completely stock. If you do really want an upgrade you'll be fine with just upgraded pads on stock brakes and rotors. I'd also go with a Dot-4 brake fluid such as Motul 600. Getting SS lines is good but truly an option at this point.
The following users liked this post:
DJKapeesh (04-06-2017)
Old 04-06-2017, 09:09 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

There's two considerations to be aware of: first, most first time track day enthusiasts tend to overbrake as they learn a particular circuit. This introduces a lot of heat into the brake system and the smaller standard brakes on the Z33 will quickly fade. Second, the amount of track time and FUN you get to experience at the track is inversely related to the amount of brake fade you get as the day goes on.

To me, upgrading the standard brakes is a bit of a waste; just spend that $500 towards Brembo or Akebono monoblock brakes and you'll be better off in both the short and long runs.
Old 04-06-2017, 01:07 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

No comments other than "Where are you getting those prices?"

Z34 sport brakes for a grand?? Might be able to find a set of calipers for that much. Add good rotors, lines, pads, mounting brackets and you're well into the $1500-2000 range.

But, if you can source that setup for a grand and it doesn't need rebuilding or similar, go for that, track or not.
Old 04-07-2017, 12:05 PM
JMII

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by dkmura
There's two considerations to be aware of: first, most first time track day enthusiasts tend to overbrake as they learn a particular circuit. This introduces a lot of heat into the brake system and the smaller standard brakes on the Z33 will quickly fade. Second, the amount of track time and FUN you get to experience at the track is inversely related to the amount of brake fade you get as the day goes on.

To me, upgrading the standard brakes is a bit of a waste; just spend that $500 towards Brembo or Akebono monoblock brakes and you'll be better off in both the short and long runs.
This advice is spot on.

I went thru the same decision process about 2 years ago. Considered the Brembo upgrade as well. As mentioned the factory brakes are just too small and overheat easily. Since switching to the Akebonos I have not had any issues. I run EBC Blues and am getting much better at braking late and HARD. With Motul 600 Racing Brake Fluid I get no fade and thus high confidence all day long, multiple sessions. I run at Homestead and Sebring.

Also budget $1700-1900 for this upgrade with all new pads, lines, fluid, plus shipping (rotors are heavy!). I installed everything myself.
The following users liked this post:
DJKapeesh (04-07-2017)
Old 04-07-2017, 12:17 PM
DJKapeesh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JMII
This advice is spot on.

I went thru the same decision process about 2 years ago. Considered the Brembo upgrade as well. As mentioned the factory brakes are just too small and overheat easily. Since switching to the Akebonos I have not had any issues. I run EBC Blues and am getting much better at braking late and HARD. With Motul 600 Racing Brake Fluid I get no fade and thus high confidence all day long, multiple sessions. I run at Homestead and Sebring.

Also budget $1700-1900 for this upgrade with all new pads, lines, fluid, plus shipping (rotors are heavy!). I installed everything myself.
funny, I'll be running in West Palm for the 18th