Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Possible issue with CV Joint?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 09:22 AM
awebber

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible issue with CV Joint?

Hey guys so around last week i noticed a slight ticking sound coming from my front passenger side wheel. As the wheel rotates faster, the sound gets faster and when I slow down, the sound gets slower and louder as I come to a stop. It seems to do it during braking and turning as well. The car seemed to drive okay still but on the way to work today, it seems like its getting a little worse.

I have rohana rc10 wheels on the front that are 19*9.5 with 40 offset. 15mm spacers that push them out a little bit more. When I put the spacer on a month ago, it makes my steering wheel vibrate, I am going to try to put some hub centric rings on it soon and get the wheels balanced. Im not sure if that has anything to do with it, the problem only recently started but I figured I would still mention the wheel specs.

I thought it was maybe some liner or something rubbing against the tire but when I looked all over it I didnt see anything (havent jacked the car up yet). Kind of sounds similar to a playing card being put in a the spoke of a bicycle when you are a kid, except you only hear it like once per tire rotation. Sorry this is kind of a bland explanation but any tips would be awesome! Thanks guys!
Old 06-27-2017, 10:13 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 441 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by awebber
19*9.5 with 40 offset
Old 06-27-2017, 01:55 PM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,594 Posts

2 easy options-
Take that spacer off, reinstall wheel and torque to 85 ft lbs. Drive carefully in your neighborhood and observe.
Or
Take to a brake shop. Most do free safety checks.

You could also jack that corner up and turn by hand w wheel on.
gl
Old 07-17-2017, 09:28 AM
aqe040466

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by awebber
Hey guys so around last week i noticed a slight ticking sound coming from my front passenger side wheel. As the wheel rotates faster, the sound gets faster and when I slow down, the sound gets slower and louder as I come to a stop. It seems to do it during braking and turning as well. The car seemed to drive okay still but on the way to work today, it seems like its getting a little worse.

I have rohana rc10 wheels on the front that are 19*9.5 with 40 offset. 15mm spacers that push them out a little bit more. When I put the spacer on a month ago, it makes my steering wheel vibrate, I am going to try to put some hub centric rings on it soon and get the wheels balanced. Im not sure if that has anything to do with it, the problem only recently started but I figured I would still mention the wheel specs.

I thought it was maybe some liner or something rubbing against the tire but when I looked all over it I didnt see anything (havent jacked the car up yet). Kind of sounds similar to a playing card being put in a the spoke of a bicycle when you are a kid, except you only hear it like once per tire rotation. Sorry this is kind of a bland explanation but any tips would be awesome! Thanks guys!
There is no CV joint for 350z.
Old 07-17-2017, 10:46 AM
rancor

Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by aqe040466
There is no CV joint for 350z.
There are no CV joints on the front of the Z but the drive axles/shafts on the rear of the Z use CV joints. The prop shaft (often called the drive shaft) uses U joints.

Check you tire for debris. Rocks, screws, or other debris stuck in the tire can make a ticking sound.

Last edited by rancor; 07-17-2017 at 10:48 AM.