Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Advice on Koni Yellows

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 09:12 PM
Emski

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Advice on Koni Yellows

I am looking for some advice on converting Koni yellows shocks to height adjustable coilovers. From my research the front needs parts #30-0000-0005 and 30-0000-0006 to pair with 7" 2.5 ID springs. But what about the rears? I am having trouble with this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 07-13-2017, 11:04 PM
guitman32

Received 108 Likes on 90 Posts

Are you just trying to convert the rear OEM location to ride height adjustable? Or to coilover?
Old 07-14-2017, 03:19 PM
Emski

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Ideally convert to coilover so I can switch from the spring bucket to a toe arm with lockout washers. But if it's simpler to stay with the OEM location but have the height adjustable, I am all ears.
Old 07-14-2017, 05:46 PM
guitman32

Received 108 Likes on 90 Posts

Never seen it done myself with the rears on the yellows. If the sleeve fits the rear bodies, then all you need is a top mount to hold the spring...unfortunately not sure if something like the BC top mount fits the koni shaft. If it does you are golden.

Converting the OEM rear works fine (can use the BC upper and lower), but there is no easy way to use lockouts and adjust the rear toe without purchasing the SPL bucket. Also it can be tricky to get the ride height and shock travel dialed in the OEM location depending on spring rate. At some point you need a helper spring in the rear to obtain your typical track height (usually 26" or less), and not have the spring fall out of the perch under droop. The SPL calculator is actually pretty on point out of the box to determine the spring length needed, it just doesnt tell you if you need a helper spring or not (not that i remember).

In my discussions it seems a big part of why race shops like the coilover rear over OEM on our platform is to facilitate straightforward rear height adjustments and car setup without having to fuss with the spring length. That is the most straightforward reason Ive heard anyway. Obviously the toe issue represents a significant additional cost (purchasing the SPL arm) as opposed to just getting the mid link conversions.
Old 07-14-2017, 05:51 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,261 Likes on 2,319 Posts

Originally Posted by Emski
Ideally convert to coilover so I can switch from the spring bucket to a toe arm with lockout washers. But if it's simpler to stay with the OEM location but have the height adjustable, I am all ears.
May or may not help... but I seem to recall that Koni themselves (as well as a number of 3rd party suspension companies) made/make a conversion kit for the Yellows specifically. Features a spring mount and adjustable collar similar to this one:

This is the Ground Control setup for Z32.

But again, as I recall, it was pretty involved and pretty sure it requires some welding. Might be simpler to install a collar kit for the stock (location) spring.

Good luck....in for an answer (not to do it but just to know about anything whatever you may find.)