Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Clicking Noise Frontend Only at Low Speed Braking

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 09:30 AM
jma350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clicking Noise Frontend Only at Low Speed Braking

I've tried searching through the forums and found a few similar old threads with no definitive resolution so figured I'd try.

06 350Z Base with 120k miles, in the past week I've noticed a sort of clicking sound that coincides with the rotation coming from the passenger front wheel well. However, it only does it when I'm touching the brake at very low "rolling to a stop" speeds. As soon as I come off the brake pedal, it vanishes. Doesn't matter how hard I'm braking, just barely touching it will cause it. Only noticeable rolling to a stop under 15mph. It is not 100% consistent, at some stop lights it seems louder than others. Non-existant without touching the brake. Seems even worse when turning and braking at low speed (such as entering a parking spot).

I popped the wheel off and took a look today and found some tar material wedged between the dust plate and rotor, so I knocked it out and bent the dust plate as far away from the rotor as I could. Noise persists. Looking around most of the rubber boots for the various ball joints are torn and leaking grease. I've heard others also suggest wheel bearing. I'm just confused as to how barely applying any brake pressure whatsoever could coorelate to a wheel bearing or ball joint noise. Pads>Rotors>Balljoints>Wheel Bearing seems the logical replacement order but I'd obviously like to narrow that down.

Anyone ever find a resolution to this?

Update resolution for anyone who searches similar symptoms: Ended up being the wheel bearing. I took the caliper off to inspect and expected to replace the pads, but when I turned the rotor by hand I could hear slight grinding. I compared it to the driver side and heard nothing. Popped it off and replaced and the noises have cleared up. Must have been shifting around under light braking. Balljoints and the LCA bushings are on the list for a later date as they're looking pretty gnarly.

Last edited by jma350; 10-03-2017 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Resolution
Old 09-08-2017, 03:25 PM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by jma350
06 350Z Base with 120k miles

Looking around most of the rubber boots for the various ball joints are torn and leaking grease.

I'm just confused as to how barely applying any brake pressure whatsoever could coorelate to a wheel bearing or ball joint noise.

Anyone ever find a resolution to this?
Seriously??? I think the answer to your question is obvious. Replace the ball joints.

Did the car get soaked in the flood?
Old 09-08-2017, 04:26 PM
jma350

#1 Thanks for the productive reply.

#2 No, no storm damage, and every car Ive ever owned suffering balljoint issues were obvious by simply putting my body weight on the car and the balljoints would squeak. I see cars with busted balljoint boots all the time thay dont display any symptoms. That doesnt match my symptoms.

#3 Again, brakes must be at least touched to display symptoms. Not hard mind you (as in no additional pressure on suspension components).
Old 09-08-2017, 05:35 PM
BrookZee

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well you know for sure the ball joints need replaced so why not just replace them? unless you don't care about your car. If that dont fix the problem do some more diagnostic work
The following users liked this post:
zakmartin (09-11-2017)
Old 09-08-2017, 07:04 PM
ridered929rr

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Comes to forum wants us to diagnose with very few details. States the obvious and gets pissed when some tells him the obvious. Go away
The following users liked this post:
zakmartin (09-11-2017)
Old 09-08-2017, 07:21 PM
jma350

Thanks for the pruductive response. Very few details? OK. Should expect as much from an online forum I suppose. Easy to be a ***** out of arms' reach. Again, only reason I posted is because I found 3 threads of similar symptoms here from 2011-2012, but all dropped off without OP posting resolution.
Old 09-08-2017, 10:38 PM
i8acobra

Received 1,267 Likes on 1,015 Posts

Pads shifting in the caliper, or wear indicator on the pad starting to barely touch the rotor. That's the best I can do without seeing it. Both items are common and cause that noise.
Old 09-09-2017, 06:29 AM
jma350

Thanks, Ill check that out first.
Old 09-11-2017, 12:53 PM
zakmartin

Originally Posted by jma350
#1 Thanks for the productive reply.

You're welcome.

#2 No, no storm damage, and every car Ive ever owned suffering balljoint issues were obvious by simply putting my body weight on the car and the balljoints would squeak. I see cars with busted balljoint boots all the time thay dont display any symptoms. That doesnt match my symptoms.

I'm glad you got through the storm okay. Ball joint issues can vary greatly, but the one thing that's consistent is that if they're leaking grease, they're shot and need to be replaced immediately.

#3 Again, brakes must be at least touched to display symptoms. Not hard mind you (as in no additional pressure on suspension components).

Could be exacerbating the ball joint issue causing your alignment to go out of whack on the front end and rattle the ball joints or possibly some blown end links.
Fix the ball joints first. You know they're busted, and it'd suck to have your wheel fall off when you're rolling down the highway.
Old 09-11-2017, 12:55 PM
zakmartin

EDIT:

Screw it. I'm done here.

Last edited by zakmartin; 09-11-2017 at 03:23 PM.
Old 12-08-2017, 01:54 PM
Terrance Gibson

Originally Posted by zakmartin
EDIT:

Screw it. I'm done here.

did you you ever figure it out....i have the exact same problem on my front passenger side...I know it’s not my ball joint because I had them replaced..
I believe it’s a warped rotor because it only makes the noise when applying the brakes lightly
Old 12-08-2017, 06:20 PM
jma350

Its in my edit on original post. Was the wheel bearing. Jack the car up take the wheel off and turn the bearing by hand. If you hear it scratching then its bad.