Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Replacing Shocks - Brand / Manufacturer Options

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2018, 10:47 AM
thelazyone22

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Replacing Shocks - Brand / Manufacturer Options

Just wanted to throw this out there and get a second opinion. From my research over the last few weeks, it seems like the non-coilover option for 350z shock replacement is pretty limited as of 2018.

Are there any other options other than:

OEM replacement non-adjustable
- KYB G-Excel
- Gabriel Ultra
- Tokico HP Blues (discontinued)
- Bilstein B6
- Bilstein B8SP

Adjustable
- Tokico D-Specs (discontinued)
- Koni Yellows

It seems like Tokico got out of the 350z business quite a few years ago so while you can pick up old stock lying around, there's nothing coming out of their factories. I'm not interested in coilovers, seems like a lot of hassle for minimal benefits, particularly for an around town / up and down the highway car.

My Z came with an Eibach Pro Kit and while I like the look of the drop, I'm seriously considering having them taken out, going back to stock springs, and just using KYBs until the car gives out. It's been on stock shocks for 70K miles and is due for a shock replacement.

Koni Yellows and Bilsteins both seem to run near $1k which is the cost of three sets of KYBs; the value factor just doesn't seem to be there for a minor drop considering there's no guarantee adjustable shocks last any longer than non-adjustable. I enjoy driving my Z a lot more than having her sit in the garage adjusting stuff or squeezing out the perfect setup for corner entry / exit.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

EDIT:

I searched, read the general suspension thread, posted, searched some more. Kudos to Spike100 and MicVelo, this thread was what I was looking for.

https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-...coil-over.html
https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-...l#post10554281

EDIT 2:

Cleaned up based on below feedback. For any future readers!

Last edited by thelazyone22; 02-05-2018 at 12:57 PM.
Old 02-02-2018, 12:31 PM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,594 Posts

I have Eibach Pros and went with Bilstein B8s. Firm ride with controlled damping. Love. Shop around.
Old 02-02-2018, 03:45 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

Originally Posted by thelazyone22
Just wanted to throw this out there and get a second opinion. From my research over the last few weeks, it seems like the non-coilover option for 350z shock replacement is pretty limited as of 2018.

Are there any other options other than:

OEM replacement non-adjustable
- KYB G-Excel
- Gabriel Ultra
- Tokico HP Blues (discontinued)

Adjustable
- Tokico D-Specs (discontinued)
- Koni Yellows
- Bilstein B8SP

It seems like Tokico got out of the 350z business quite a few years ago so while you can pick up old stock lying around, there's nothing coming out of their factories. I'm not interested in coilovers, seems like a lot of hassle for minimal benefits, particularly for an around town / up and down the highway car.

My Z came with an Eibach Pro Kit and while I like the look of the drop, I'm seriously considering having them taken out, going back to stock springs, and just using KYBs until the car gives out. It's been on stock shocks for 70K miles and is due for a shock replacement.

Koni Yellows and Bilsteins both seem to run near $1k which is the cost of three sets of KYBs; the value factor just doesn't seem to be there for a minor drop considering there's no guarantee adjustable shocks last any longer than non-adjustable. I enjoy driving my Z a lot more than having her sit in the garage adjusting stuff or squeezing out the perfect setup for corner entry / exit.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

EDIT:

I searched, read the general suspension thread, posted, searched some more. Kudos to Spike100 and MicVelo, this thread was what I was looking for.

https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-...coil-over.html
https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-...l#post10554281
You're welcome and thanks. Someone read it, Spike! Hahahaha.

Only one correction... the Bilsteins are NOT adjustable shocks. Just want to clarify that.

So, Tokico is at it again?? For a while, they were difficult to find and then for some reason, they came back and were plentiful. Even the D-Specs were available as short as 12-18 months ago or at least what one poster said here. Wouldn't surprise me though that they're again in short supply (or non-existent) since Tok does so much business in the OEM space....like the stock shocks on our 33s and many many more cars and trucks.

Anyhow, I stand by what I said in those posts and reinforce my nearly 40 years of choosing Bilstein over most anything else for the cars that mean/meant something to me.

I get what you're saying about the "3 set of KYBs for the price of one set of Bilsteins" but, you pretty much get what you pay for. (Trying not to show my bias for/against any particular products. )
Old 02-03-2018, 11:25 AM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Hi thelazyone22. Thanks for the mention.

Just to clarify a couple of points:
  • Bilstein shocks are not adjustable.
  • Bilstein B8 shocks are used with springs that provide a drop and Bilstein B6 shocks go with springs that are stock height. If you decide to use Bilstein shocks with stock springs, go with the B6 model.
I should also mention that I find the Tein S-Tech Springs a little bouncy after driving on them for 3+ years now. If I did it over, I might choose Swift springs or Eibach Pros.
--Spike

Last edited by Spike100; 02-03-2018 at 11:43 AM. Reason: To mention Eibach
Old 02-03-2018, 12:36 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,046 Likes on 6,512 Posts

I had the s-tech's and swapped them out within a year to pro-kit paired with d-dpecs