Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

SPL FUCA - v3 vs v4

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 05:27 AM
RobPhoboS

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
Default SPL FUCA - v3 vs v4

At some point I want to buy another set of adjustable FUCA's, either SPL or Voodoo13.
I see now that SPL have changed the design quite a lot from v3 to v4, does anyone know why or what the differences are ?
Old 02-24-2019, 11:51 AM
The Swede

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

As it happens I have a brand new pair of v4's sitting on my living room floor at the moment so if there's anything in detail you want me to look at now's the time!

I believe the biggest difference is the ease of adjustability. The old v3's used a plate stacking system which while very robust was a hassle to adjust since you'd need to disassemble the control arm each time. The new v4s can remain fully attached to the car while adjustments are being made. The new ones also have the ability to adjust caster, not sure if the v3's did or not but the v4s specifically tell you that the so called "double adjusters" (camber/caster) can be used for this purpose.

The v4 is also part of their latest billet control arm line together with rear camber arms, traction arms and toe arms ("true coilover and oem style) which is also sold under the Nismo brand label in silver/red although this version is a lot more expensive.
The following users liked this post:
RobPhoboS (02-25-2019)
Old 02-25-2019, 05:28 AM
RobPhoboS

Thank you very much for the info there, that's really appreciated !
I quite like the plate idea as it theoretically should be simpler to set up, and leave it. If you get a chance, a few photos of the adjusters would be really helpful to see.
From looking at a few photo's they look the same as my current ones but just far more robust !
Old 02-27-2019, 11:21 AM
The Swede

Hey Rob sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, I forgot about you at least 5 times since yesterday...

This is one of the adjusters, showing the hex head allowing adjustments while being attached to the car.

This is the same but from the underside, showing the blue titanium clamping bolts. The 2 on the left lock the external ajuster to the control arm body, the one on the right locks the joint to the external adjuster via a locking collar.

This one illustrates how the joint and adjuster can and should both be adjusted to achieve the desired length before installing, and then the final adjustment is obviously done via the external adjuster since the joint is locked to the car.

The 2 adjusters can be set individually and thus be used to set both camber and caster to a certain degree.

Hope that helps, I can post more pics tomorrow if you'd like.

Last edited by The Swede; 02-27-2019 at 11:23 AM.
RobPhoboS (03-07-2019)
Old 03-07-2019, 05:13 AM
RobPhoboS

Thank you soo much for this !
That's really good to see in detail, not that this really matters but how heavy would you guess each one is ?
Old 03-07-2019, 08:39 AM
The Swede

No idea man. Im waiting for the snow to melt before I install everything. When its time I'll try to get weights vs oem weights for you.
Remind me if I take too long!
RobPhoboS (03-07-2019)
Old 05-22-2019, 03:16 AM
RobPhoboS

Originally Posted by The Swede
No idea man. Im waiting for the snow to melt before I install everything. When its time I'll try to get weights vs oem weights for you.
Remind me if I take too long!
I will be going ahead with these too, I just don't really trust the ones I have in there
Old 05-22-2019, 03:26 PM
The Swede

Yeah so I totally forgot to weigh them. Not sure if they're any lighter as the oem ones are pretty skinny and lightweight while the SPLs are much beefier.
Fitment and adjustability is 10/10 though. Super smooth operation and I've been beating the sh.. out of my car since install to find any weak points or things that need adjustment but it's all looking really solid and there are no clunks or sounds anywhere.
Old 05-23-2019, 01:58 AM
RobPhoboS

Originally Posted by The Swede
Yeah so I totally forgot to weigh them. Not sure if they're any lighter as the oem ones are pretty skinny and lightweight while the SPLs are much beefier.
Fitment and adjustability is 10/10 though. Super smooth operation and I've been beating the sh.. out of my car since install to find any weak points or things that need adjustment but it's all looking really solid and there are no clunks or sounds anywhere.
Fantastic !
They're pricey over here but I will have total confidence in them, and once you're on the track that's what we need.