Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Need Help Identifying Strange Noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2024, 09:34 PM
DerekRodrigues9

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help Identifying Strange Noise

So here’s the deal.. I installed some BC series coilovers and lowered about 1 in from stock height. Because of this, I ended up installing Z1 toe arms, camber arms, and adjustable FUCAs.

I am hearing a strange noise from the right side of the car, and I suspect it is the back. It is definitely related to the wheel and tire, although it almost sounds like something is rubbing. I looked underneath the car and can’t find anything that seems even remotely close to rubbing with another component. I would describe the noise as a “whistle” and it is constant but comes and goes, as if there were a rock stuck in the tire or something (there’s not). It becomes much more annoying and faster with acceleration, but only starts up when I take my foot off the gas and coast while decelerating. It continues after while braking until fully stopped, and when I am on the gas from a stop it does not occur until I let off again or until I reach about 25mph. It is not happening in reverse also. I have no reason to believe it is a loose bolt or bushing as everything was set in place and torqued down correctly. Everything I have read tells me wheel bearing, but it is a much higher pitched noise and it seems wheel bearing noises are one constant annoyance. The only thing that I’m sure of is that the noise has something to do with a tire/wheel or suspension piece.

I thought it may have been related to the brake pads - I swapped them and still no luck. I tried to get a video of the sound but my phone is not able to pick it up from inside the cabin but i definitely hear it from inside the car. Wondering if anyone has had something like this, or if anyone has a shot in the dark as to what the noise could be or any suggestions to help track it down? I am planning on taking it in for an alignment, but the shop is 20 minutes away and I do not want to drive it there and hurt the car and depending on what it is, it may be unsafe to do so.

Last edited by DerekRodrigues9; 07-17-2024 at 10:43 PM.