Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

Wheel Noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 03:45 PM
EvilCrayon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel Noise

So my 08 350z, with 9400miles, has been making some weird noises lately. It started last week when I drove down to LA from SF and on the way back home, started hearing a whum whum whum whum noise. I thought it was from a loose piece of plastic(somebody hit and run my car and there's a slightly loose piece now that hasn't been fixed yet) but now I've noticed that it starts out at way too low of a speed to be wind buffeting off of it. I've had the engine off and the car rolling at 10mph and it makes the noise.

It seems to make the noise as the tires rotate but when I make left turns, it goes away.

I thought it might be wheel weights but the car isn't pulling and tracks straight. I checked all the tire pressure and underneath the car for anything out of the ordinary. I thought it might be the differential but I honestly have no idea.

Today, I took an off-ramp slightly faster than normal(going right clockwise) and the noise went away. I can't tell if it's completely gone, or if it's just in my head, but the majority of the noise is gone.

Anybody else ever experience this problem?
Old 10-27-2009, 05:02 PM
BeaReel

once i had the lug nuts fall off and 2/5 of the nuts were on. it made that noise cause the wheel was boutto fall off.
Old 10-27-2009, 06:10 PM
EvilCrayon

Checked the lugnuts and they're all there and secure.

I'm beginning to think it's the brakepads cause the noise came back on the drive back home from work. There's a small vibration every time I hear the sound. I looked underneath the car and everything looks tip top...
Old 10-28-2009, 02:41 PM
EvilCrayon

Took it to the dealership and found out it was a wheel bearing which had failed.