Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Front end clunk noise fixed

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2002, 01:31 PM
westpak
SFZCC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front end clunk noise fixed

I had posted previously that I was having a problem with having a clunk type of noise when I made sharp u-turns, backing up with the wheels turned sharply to the left and even when coming to a quick stop, the noise seemed to be coming from the passenger side front wheel area.

The first action was to change the strut and that didn't fix it so the Nissan rep was called in and after troubleshooting it was decided to change all parts in the linkage of the front wheel one at a time to see what was the problem. The parts were overnighted and after a detailed process of replacing one part and test driving, and replacing another finally the last part did it, apparently the bushings in the wishbone link seemed to be the problem and now it all seems to be OK.

Some of you may have seen my posts of my problems with the Palm Nissan dealership at the buy side and even though it is a thing of the past, I was apprehensive about going there but I have to say that it was a great experience, the guys there are very enthusiastic about the car and eager to fix the problem not just bandaid it, their enthusiasm with the Z is what I had hoped had been with the whole ordering process, but better late than never. I want to thank Bill Minogue (Service Director) and Joe (who did the work) for their attentiveness and help. Looking forward to seeing them only for routine maintenance or Nismo installs.
Old 09-24-2002, 10:20 PM
mike952

Glad to hear it all works out...!
Old 09-25-2002, 09:59 PM
articfury
Charter Member #55

westpak-

Glad to hear they got it fixed for you. Isn't it always the _last_ thing possible that fixes an issue?

It's also good to hear that your dealership was very good in handling of the service.

Enjoy!

JD
Old 09-26-2002, 06:22 AM
westpak
SFZCC

It's amazing how it is always the last part that fixes it, this should result in a tech bulletin in case others come up with the same problem, which I am surprised no one else has so far, but maybe by the time all preorders are here someone else will have the same problem and they can fix quicker, other than that this car rocks I love it, the wait was definetly worth it.
Old 09-26-2002, 11:00 AM
ToddLuc

Originally posted by westpak
It's amazing how it is always the last part that fixes it
That's because once you fix it, you stop. The alternative is to fix the problem, then continue replacing parts for fun.
Old 09-26-2002, 12:55 PM
westpak
SFZCC

Originally posted by ToddLuc
That's because once you fix it, you stop. The alternative is to fix the problem, then continue replacing parts for fun.
I am not that retarded, it was the last part not just because it fixed it and they stopped but it was literaly the last part in the wheel linkage area that hadn't been replaced and that was what fixed it, if it hadn't fixed it they would have had to go back to the drawing board and try to see what else it might.
Old 10-20-2002, 08:01 PM
westpak
SFZCC

Just bumping it back up in case new owners are not aware of this possible problem. I guess we need that section detailing problems.
Old 10-20-2002, 09:15 PM
ZZtopp

Default Re: Front end clunk noise fixed

I had posted previously that I was having a problem with having a clunk type of noise when I made sharp u-turns, backing up with the wheels turned sharply to the left and even when coming to a quick stop, the noise seemed to be coming from the passenger side front wheel area.

I have a very simlar sounding problem with my car. I hear it on left side, and it happens very infrequently...backing out of the driveway, stopping from a high rate of speed, and occasionally when turning the wheel.. The problem is, I doubt I'd be able to duplicate it for the service deptartment ( it happens so rarely), and that means having to let them drive the hell out of the car to get to happen. I'd almost rather live with it than give to them to fix.
Old 10-20-2002, 09:28 PM
D'oh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ZZtopp,

Well, you have 36,000 miles for the problem to get worse. I'm having a problem with my drivers seat, where the whole seat moves sideways during right hand turns, and at first I didn't want to take it to the dealer because it only happened during hard driving, but now it happens almost all the time. I think in another month I'll be able to take it in and easily get a replacement seat without the dealer even needing to take the car for a spin. Maybe your problem will get bad enough that it can be duplicated easily as well.

Hmmm, now that I think about it, I'm not sure if that is actually good news.

Hope everything works out for you as well as it did for westpack.

(Congrats and thanks to westpack for sharing this tip with us - may you enjoy your car for many future years)

-D'oh!
Old 10-20-2002, 10:21 PM
ZZtopp

Originally posted by D'oh
ZZtopp,

Well, you have 36,000 miles for the problem to get worse. I'm having a problem with my drivers seat, where the whole seat moves sideways during right hand turns, and at first I didn't want to take it to the dealer because it only happened during hard driving, but now it happens almost all the time. I think in another month I'll be able to take it in and easily get a replacement seat without the dealer even needing to take the car for a spin. Maybe your problem will get bad enough that it can be duplicated easily as well.
Exactly. I'm hoping it disappears with a few more miles, but I'm not counting on it. My dealer is replacing a rocker panel on Tuesday, so I'll find out just how good they are.
Old 10-21-2002, 05:31 AM
ToddLuc

I am not that retarded, it was the last part not just because it fixed it and they stopped but it was literaly the last part in the wheel linkage area that hadn't been replaced and that was what fixed it, if it hadn't fixed it they would have had to go back to the drawing board and try to see what else it might.
Riiiggghhht. Notice the "" smiley in my post. That *usually* indicates humor. (or possibly a bad attempt at it)
Old 10-21-2002, 05:31 PM
westpak
SFZCC

Default Re: Re: Front end clunk noise fixed

Originally posted by ZZtopp
I have a very simlar sounding problem with my car. I hear it on left side, and it happens very infrequently...backing out of the driveway, stopping from a high rate of speed, and occasionally when turning the wheel.. The problem is, I doubt I'd be able to duplicate it for the service deptartment ( it happens so rarely), and that means having to let them drive the hell out of the car to get to happen. I'd almost rather live with it than give to them to fix.
Mine started slowly as well, with just noticing it during hard u-turns, then it started more frequently including during backing up and then when stopping hard. Try doing some sharp u-turns to see if you can do make the noise on a regular basis. My dealer took the car out with some device that they hook up to the car to hear noises and pin point where they are coming from. If you have a doubt have them contact Bill Minogue (Service Director) at Palm Nissan 561-683-7100, he is really cool and very cooperative.
Old 10-21-2002, 05:59 PM
irishfan

The first several times I drove mine, I heard a noise like that every time I pulled out of a parking space at work. I finally figured out it was the sound of all those people's jaws hitting the ground when they saw my Z .

Sorry - I couldn't help myself.
Old 10-21-2002, 06:03 PM
ZZtopp

Default Re: Re: Re: Front end clunk noise fixed

Mine started slowly as well, with just noticing it during hard u-turns, then it started more frequently including during backing up and then when stopping hard. Try doing some sharp u-turns to see if you can do make the noise on a regular basis. My dealer took the car out with some device that they hook up to the car to hear noises and pin point where they are coming from. If you have a doubt have them contact Bill Minogue (Service Director) at Palm Nissan 561-683-7100, he is really cool and very cooperative.

Thanks for help. It really does sound/feel like something in the linkage "sticking" and then popping free. I've tried, and I just can't make it happen. After it's happened once, it won' t happen again for long time. Weird......
Old 10-22-2002, 06:07 AM
westpak
SFZCC

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Front end clunk noise fixed

Thanks for help. It really does sound/feel like something in the linkage "sticking" and then popping free. I've tried, and I just can't make it happen. After it's happened once, it won' t happen again for long time. Weird......
Well, the dealer was stumped at first, the first thing they thought was that it could be the wheel stops needing grease, then they decided it was the strut so they replaced it, then maybe the spring which may have been popping after being under load. At this point is when they called Nissan and the rep proposed that the replace each piece in the linkage to see if that fixed it and so far so good. The guys at he dealer thought that a Tech Bulletin as going to be issued so you might want to ask your dealer if one is out.
Old 10-22-2002, 04:06 PM
ZZtopp

Thanks, I'll check to see if they have the bulletin.

I just drove the car, and when stopping form a high rate speed, it sounded like it was coming from the rear! Also, it will never do it twice in a row going forward...it always alternates between going forward and backwards, as if something was rolling back and forth.
Old 10-23-2002, 06:07 AM
westpak
SFZCC

Thanks, I'll check to see if they have the bulletin.

I just drove the car, and when stopping form a high rate speed, it sounded like it was coming from the rear! Also, it will never do it twice in a row going forward...it always alternates between going forward and backwards, as if something was rolling back and forth.
It sounds like you definetly have the same condition the more you describe it the more it sounds like what I had. A couple of times I also thought I heard it from the rear also. It will become more often that you hear it, it will not go away. But once they figured it out it has not come back.
Old 10-23-2002, 09:15 AM
ZZtopp

It sounds like you definetly have the same condition the more you describe it the more it sounds like what I had. A couple of times I also thought I heard it from the rear also. It will become more often that you hear it, it will not go away. But once they figured it out it has not come back.

Westpak,

I really appreciate the help. I'm not sure the service department at my dealership has a clue (they already totally screwed up the replacement of my rocker panel), so I may call the service manager you rrecomend. Do you think he'll be able to tell me exactly what the replacemnet part was?
Old 10-23-2002, 09:51 AM
westpak
SFZCC

Westpak,

I really appreciate the help. I'm not sure the service department at my dealership has a clue (they already totally screwed up the replacement of my rocker panel), so I may call the service manager you rrecomend. Do you think he'll be able to tell me exactly what the replacemnet part was?
Bill should be able to help, he was very involved in it and with the NIssan rep. He is very into the Z and will probably be more than happy to talk to you, if he is not sure then Joe, who did the actual work will. It ended up being the V shaped link and the bushings on the two ends. Just tell him that I (Gus Martinez) suggested you call him.
Old 10-23-2002, 01:11 PM
ZZtopp

Bill should be able to help, he was very involved in it and with the NIssan rep. He is very into the Z and will probably be more than happy to talk to you, if he is not sure then Joe, who did the actual work will. It ended up being the V shaped link and the bushings on the two ends. Just tell him that I (Gus Martinez) suggested you call him.

Thanks a million! I'm going to call him this week.

Quick Reply: Front end clunk noise fixed