jmark

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is Gordon at Koni's email address:

Gordon.Benson2@itt.com
Old 04-06-2004, 08:45 AM
Redfoot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default who's first to install

Won't be me, I'm outa town for a few days & no springs yet.....Hope to see a tips & hints thread when I return
Old 04-06-2004, 08:52 AM
jmark

I am scheduled for BJ to install May 14-15.
Old 04-06-2004, 04:35 PM
Boomer

Originally posted by jmark
I am scheduled for BJ to install May 14-15.
I'm scheduled for install on the 8th, this Thursday. I will arise at 5:45 am and drive to my ASE tech's shop, Swanson's Tire, 9th and Hudson in OKC, because Dale isn't late and he is there at 7:30 am sharp. If you're late, you lose your spot. Dale doesn't turn down work he can do when someone is waiting. He's a bit of a curmugeon like me, so we laugh at one another from time to time, but business is business, so I and everyone else have no illusions that we're special.

At 8 am, Enterprise rental cars will have a car/driver for me on site and I will drive him to his office, drive home and take a long nap. After my nap, I will drive back to Enterprise to drop off and pay for the rental, they will then drop me at Swanson's at 4 pm. It will be finished or close to it, and I will drive the Koni-shod Z back to my home over I35 South. Unless something untoward happens, I will give a first impression here and copy to 350FrenZy that evening. I will be driving over the roads which annoy me the most, so I can get some idea of their performance. After they settle some, and tire pressures are explored, I'll do an in depth for interested people.

I can't believe they are here, cross my heart, I waited longer for these than I did for the Z, which was almost 8 months. BTW, someone earlier was concerned about the abscence of packing material around the shocks, so I looked and found the same to be true. After hefting the shocks and their hardware, I am impressed with the build quality, these shocks are heavy and very robust construction. I think you might need a 9 lb sledge to actually harm them, we'll see, mine looked fine.
Old 04-06-2004, 04:46 PM
jmark

Originally posted by Boomer
I'm scheduled for install on the 8th, this Thursday. I will arise at 5:45 am and drive to my ASE tech's shop, Swanson's Tire, 9th and Hudson in OKC, because Dale isn't late and he is there at 7:30 am sharp. If you're late, you lose your spot. Dale doesn't turn down work he can do when someone is waiting. He's a bit of a curmugeon like me, so we laugh at one another from time to time, but business is business, so I and everyone else have no illusions that we're special.

At 8 am, Enterprise rental cars will have a car/driver for me on site and I will drive him to his office, drive home and take a long nap. After my nap, I will drive back to Enterprise to drop off and pay for the rental, they will then drop me at Swanson's at 4 pm. It will be finished or close to it, and I will drive the Koni-shod Z back to my home over I35 South. Unless something untoward happens, I will give a first impression here and copy to 350FrenZy that evening. I will be driving over the roads which annoy me the most, so I can get some idea of their performance. After they settle some, and tire pressures are explored, I'll do an in depth for interested people.

I can't believe they are here, cross my heart, I waited longer for these than I did for the Z, which was almost 8 months. BTW, someone earlier was concerned about the abscence of packing material around the shocks, so I looked and found the same to be true. After hefting the shocks and their hardware, I am impressed with the build quality, these shocks are heavy and very robust construction. I think you might need a 9 lb sledge to actually harm them, we'll see, mine looked fine.
Keith,
Hope we have done the right thing! I guess I'll know soon..... Make sure your tech sets them full soft! Good luck.
Old 04-06-2004, 05:15 PM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Keith,
Hope we have done the right thing! I guess I'll know soon..... Make sure your tech sets them full soft! Good luck.
Full soft, is that BJ's and Gordon's recommendation?
Old 04-06-2004, 05:58 PM
C Ray Z

Default SF Bay Area Koni Install Friday

I just got the call from my local Koni rep. Kraus Racing doing the install Friday and I have a Track day Monday at Thunderhill. I am excited to see the improvement. I have EVO front sway not rear sway. I run Autocross but find the balance is good with 265x35 x18 all around. I still don't have a way to get race tires to the track so I will run with my street tires. But that won't be too bad since they are 265x35x18 frint and 295x35x18 rear Yoko AVS sport. Will report results.

Ray

Old 04-06-2004, 06:08 PM
jmark

Cool. Can't wait to hear the reports.
Old 04-06-2004, 07:34 PM
Boomer

Keith,
I think we have done the right thing. Full soft it is, no mistake.
Old 04-06-2004, 07:54 PM
AmyCroft

Smile Looks like Wednesday at Esports

Looks like tommorrow by the UPS tracking number.
Maybe Thursday to ESports.com

Five full sets in Orange County, CA

I need to line up install for Saturday... I need to check my calendar.

Eric Hu and Myself first... Others Local Pick-up Cash...

P.S. Drove a new Roadster 2004.5 of SSK0771.. Guess what - No Bounce. It was a pleasure.

Cheers Amy -
Old 04-06-2004, 07:57 PM
Boomer

Originally posted by Gsedan35
Full soft, is that BJ's and Gordon's recommendation?
That is always Koni's recommendation and why they can be so versatile. Matching the shocks to the stock springs at full soft to get the best ride/handling combination, w/o harshness, is their goal. That done, you can adjust their stiffness in 3 more settings which will let you track your car one day, re-adjust and ride smoothly on your everyday roads the next.

Go to Koni's World site, www.koni.com and read about how they develop shocks for all types of transportation, including railways. Formula 1, Indycars and other racing applications are also part of their worldwide market. I don't think BJ and Gordon would let us down, they've either driven or ridden in Zs with them installed and said they really liked them and we would be very pleased with the product. I'm more than ready for that ride they describe.
Old 04-06-2004, 08:01 PM
Boomer

Default Re: Looks like Wednesday at Esports

Originally posted by AmyCroft
Looks like tommorrow by the UPS tracking number.
Maybe Thursday to ESports.com

Five full sets in Orange County, CA

I need to line up install for Saturday... I need to check my calendar.

Eric Hu and Myself first... Others Local Pick-up Cash...

P.S. Drove a new Roadster 2004.5 of SSK0771.. Guess what - No Bounce. It was a pleasure.

Cheers Amy -
They are getting out fast now that the first shipment has arrived. Great! No bounce=Nirvana.
Old 04-06-2004, 10:50 PM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by Boomer
That is always Koni's recommendation and why they can be so versatile. Matching the shocks to the stock springs at full soft to get the best ride/handling combination, w/o harshness, is their goal. That done, you can adjust their stiffness in 3 more settings which will let you track your car one day, re-adjust and ride smoothly on your everyday roads the next.

Go to Koni's World site, www.koni.com and read about how they develop shocks for all types of transportation, including railways. Formula 1, Indycars and other racing applications are also part of their worldwide market. I don't think BJ and Gordon would let us down, they've either driven or ridden in Zs with them installed and said they really liked them and we would be very pleased with the product. I'm more than ready for that ride they describe.
All that because I asked a simple question about full soft on the rebound control. Your blowing rebound only control out of proportion. I've had Koni SA's before and I did not run them on full soft. I manuely searched BJ's post's on Koni's and found my answer, one BIG NEVER MIND.
Old 04-06-2004, 11:45 PM
AmyCroft

All that because I asked a simple question about full soft on the rebound control. Your blowing rebound only control out of proportion. I've had Koni SA's before and I did not run them on full soft. I manuely searched BJ's post's on Koni's and found my answer, one BIG NEVER MIND.

So What did you Say. In this last post..

???

What the f did you mean?

Please - Say exactly what you meant to say?
Old 04-07-2004, 02:28 AM
jmark

Maybe this will answer your question.

Mark,

>Are the Koni Yellow Sport shocks designed to eliminate the stock Z's
>bounce and work with the stock springs?

Yes. All the testing that was done was with the stock springs. When we were finished and happy with the settings, we made that the full soft position. Thanks for writing.

Gordon
Old 04-07-2004, 02:29 AM
jmark

Another:

Mark,

They shocks are developed for the 350Z but we are waiting for the first production run to be built. They will take care of the bounce that you feel as they are valved to give the car great handling but still give a nice smooth ride. Thanks for writing.

Gordon
Old 04-07-2004, 04:08 AM
Mr. Motion

Another:

Mark,

They shocks are developed for the 350Z but we are waiting for the first production run to be built. They will take care of the bounce that you feel as they are valved to give the car great handling but still give a nice smooth ride. Thanks for writing.

Gordon
Gordon:

On the rears, how do you set them for "full soft". It is by turning the adjustment collar (via an Allen wrench) clockwise until it stops? The pictorial doesn't help much. Conversely, is full stiff all the way counter-clockwise (don't know what "Max.8" is supposed to mean)?
Old 04-07-2004, 05:17 AM
TCL

I just picked up the latest issue of Grassroots Motorsports and saw an ad for a Koni sport kit which had the sports shocks and matching springs. Anyone know if Koni plans to make the full kit for the 350Z? jmark?
Old 04-07-2004, 05:22 AM
jmark

Here is Gordon at Koni's email address:

Gordon.Benson2@itt.com
Gordon doesn't post here. I just attached some email replies from him. His email address is above.
Old 04-07-2004, 05:23 AM
jmark

Originally posted by Mr. Motion
Gordon:

On the rears, how do you set them for "full soft". It is by turning the adjustment collar (via an Allen wrench) clockwise until it stops? The pictorial doesn't help much. Conversely, is full stiff all the way counter-clockwise (don't know what "Max.8" is supposed to mean)?
BJ can probably answer this but he is racing in Phoenix right now.

Quick Reply: Konis are here!!!!