Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

EBC Green Stuff or Red Stuff Brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2004, 04:55 AM
RAW22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EBC Green Stuff or Red Stuff Brakes?

I am getting new brakes put on tomorrow and was wondering which ones to go with. I dont drive my car on the track, but do use my brakes fairly aggressively. I want to go with a good brake that won't damage my rotors.

THanks, Richard
Old 04-23-2004, 06:26 AM
peter

Hi Richard,

Just yesterday i was informing about the greenstuff brakepads.

When i contacted my local supplier (i live in Holland btw.), he immediatly said that the Zed is to fast and heavy. I got another opinion and they both said i should go with the Redstuff pads...

I mailed Courtesy to get a quote for Redstuff front and rear pads, but they can only supply me with front pads.
Everywhere i look on US online sites they do sell Greenstuff front AND rear, but they only sell Redstuff front pads.

My supplier(s) advised to go with redstuff allround (over 160 euro but cheaper then the Greenstuff).

I think that we drive the car a bit harder in Europe because i find it strange that a lot of guys in the US are driving with the Greenstuff while they advise against it in Holland...
Nissan must expect the same because they mount a differential with extra coolingribs on the Euro spec cars.

Hope this helps,

Peter

Last edited by peter; 04-23-2004 at 06:28 AM.
Old 04-23-2004, 06:29 AM
RAW22

Peter -

That is what I was thinking because of the weight issue. I am actually having Courtesy Nissan put them on. I live about 20 miles away from them.

Thanks, Richard
Old 04-23-2004, 06:32 AM
peter

So you are only getting the front pads then?

Doesn´t it cause problems with the standard (lower friction) pads in the rear?
Old 04-23-2004, 06:41 AM
RAW22

Yeah just getting the fronts.

Just called Courtesy, they said fronts and rear are pretty much independant of each other. The guy told me that the fronts are always on when you brake, and the rears are sometimes on.

They recommend the Green Stuff since I am not racing with my Z. He said the Red Stuff would tear up your rotors a lot faster.

Richard
Old 04-23-2004, 08:01 AM
peter

Don´t really agree with him about how often the rear brakes brake. I clean my rims after every time i have driven the car and the rearwheels are also dirty. Cars these days have loadadjustable rear brakes. In the old days rearbrakes did almost nothing because when the car was empty they would lockup and that was (ofcourse) dangerous. These days there is a sensor in the rear that measures how heavy the car is in the rear and adjusts the breaking accordingly. Safety is important and the harder the front AND rearbrakes brake the faster the car stops in an emergency. Sounds obvious but i don´t get i that the guy implies that the rear brakes almost never brake.

I really don´t know about the wear an tear with the Redstuff pads.

just my .02

Richard, let me know about the new brakepads.
Just crossed my mind: you don´t have the Brembo´s on you Touring. Wonder if that would make a difference?