Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

JDM coilover

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2004, 09:33 PM
fairladyZ in Japan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GY-Z...

Yes .. maybe I should have been more specific --

Ohlins does make a kit specifically for the Z33 at JYEN 298,000. A 20-way adjustable front and back (for firmness).

I just don't know how good it is.. not yet, anyway.
Old 05-08-2004, 09:37 PM
GY-Z

Originally posted by fairladyZ in Japan
GY-Z...

Yes .. maybe I should have been more specific --

Ohlins does make a kit specifically for the Z33 at JYEN 298,000. A 20-way adjustable front and back (for firmness).

I just don't know how good it is.. not yet, anyway.
thanks, that should clearlfy lotz of things.
do u have any idea if this is the race shock or street/track shock they made?
according to "ALong" , he siad Ohlins make street/track and race shocks.
and thanks for the confirmation
Old 05-08-2004, 09:56 PM
fairladyZ in Japan

GY-Z...

For the Z33.. street/track. Note.. for the Z33 rear -- not a coilover .. spring is separate.

There are more hardcore race setups (circuit) for the GT-R and RX-7 .. that include the tank -- like the NISMO R-tune setup for the GT-R.
Old 05-08-2004, 10:06 PM
GY-Z

GY-Z...

For the Z33.. street/track. Note.. for the Z33 rear -- not a coilover .. spring is separate.

There are more hardcore race setups (circuit) for the GT-R and RX-7 .. that include the tank -- like the NISMO R-tune setup for the GT-R.
wow, really appreciate ur time for translating.
does it say anything about coming out with a modle for z33 and has a race shock?
thanks
Old 05-08-2004, 10:36 PM
fairladyZ in Japan

The Ohlins (Impul) has been out for some time.

There is no further information whether there will an update or race version.

Scan below shows the IMPUL Ohlins system taken from a Z magazine here in Japan about 10 months ago.
Attached Thumbnails JDM coilover-impul-ohlins.jpg  
Old 05-09-2004, 12:04 AM
GY-Z

The Ohlins (Impul) has been out for some time.

There is no further information whether there will an update or race version.

Scan below shows the IMPUL Ohlins system taken from a Z magazine here in Japan about 10 months ago.
o..ok ..thanks for the information.
plz keep me updated on the Ohlins coilover?
thanks
Old 05-09-2004, 12:06 AM
GY-Z

Default fairladyz in japan

just want to clearfy.
so the current Ohlins coilover is around the level of nismo S-tuend?
and the rear cannot adjust the height?
thanks
Old 05-10-2004, 06:26 AM
Traffic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GY-Z,

K-One, as I recall, uses Ohlins' units for their suspension applications. Here's their URL: http://www.k-one.to/ Hope you can read Japanese. They use Flag S and Flag L components. Flag S is similar to most other set-ups, whereas Flag L uses an external reservoir, as I recall.

I think you asked who else would be in Ohlins' league: I would say Aragosta, DMS and high-end Zeal systems like the Super Function.
Old 05-10-2004, 09:39 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ALong - actually the Ohlins setups we are talking abot here are no where near to teh spec that their race setups are. Ohlins ooofers basically several street setups for the Z33 in Japan only, which range from height adjustable, to height adjustable with dampening. They do not offer a setup for the Z33 that can complete with a JRZ, Moton, Penske, etc type setup though.

I ahve not seen an over the counter coilover setup for the Z that offers independant adjustment of compression and rebound yet, though any number of custom affairs could accomodate that, if the user needed it.

As I said, in this price category, you are basically in the realm of HKS, Cusco, Zeal, among others.

Adam
Old 05-10-2004, 10:43 AM
GY-Z

Originally posted by Z1 Performance
ALong - actually the Ohlins setups we are talking abot here are no where near to teh spec that their race setups are. Ohlins ooofers basically several street setups for the Z33 in Japan only, which range from height adjustable, to height adjustable with dampening. They do not offer a setup for the Z33 that can complete with a JRZ, Moton, Penske, etc type setup though.

I ahve not seen an over the counter coilover setup for the Z that offers independant adjustment of compression and rebound yet, though any number of custom affairs could accomodate that, if the user needed it.

As I said, in this price category, you are basically in the realm of HKS, Cusco, Zeal, among others.

Adam
ya, i think fairladyz in japan had the same kind of idea saying up there.the current Ohlins coil for z33 is just the usual setup thatz not so superior than others.(but damn, itz still pricy..1@$!@@^@^)
Old 05-10-2004, 10:45 AM
GY-Z

Originally posted by Traffic
GY-Z,

K-One, as I recall, uses Ohlins' units for their suspension applications. Here's their URL: http://www.k-one.to/ Hope you can read Japanese. They use Flag S and Flag L components. Flag S is similar to most other set-ups, whereas Flag L uses an external reservoir, as I recall.

I think you asked who else would be in Ohlins' league: I would say Aragosta, DMS and high-end Zeal systems like the Super Function.
can u shade more light for me on the flag L setup?is it better? if so,why?
r u saying Aragosta,DMS and superfunction is in the same league as the current Ohlins coil for z33(which is a street setup that not any "superior" than any others)?
or r u saying Ohlins race setup(which is not avalible for z33 now) is in the same league as those u have mentioned?
thanks
Old 05-10-2004, 11:07 AM
Traffic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by GY-Z
can u shade more light for me on the flag L setup?is it better? if so,why?
r u saying Aragosta,DMS and superfunction is in the same league as the current Ohlins coil for z33(which is a street setup that not any "superior" than any others)?
or r u saying Ohlins race setup(which is not avalible for z33 now) is in the same league as those u have mentioned?
thanks
I'm not that qualified to really discuss suspension stuff, but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn last night.

I do know Super Function is pretty much custom-made and track-only and DMS makes both track and street set-ups. Scooby guys worship DMS. I checked DMS's site and their Z33 app isn't available yet. Aragosta does have a system for the Z33; it was tested in Hyper Rev magazine, as I recall, and performed superbly as compared to Tein Flex and HKS Hipermax.
Old 05-10-2004, 12:56 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Yes Aragosta makes fine stuff indeed....problem is zero support here in the US. There are loads of good JDM suspension setups out there for the Z - if it were me, I would find one with as strong a dealer network in the US as possible.

I would not expect DMS to have anything for the Z anytime soon (though one never knows!), as they tend to cater to more rally inspired units for the Subaru and Evo and the like.

Adam
Old 05-10-2004, 02:08 PM
GY-Z

Z1 performance and Traffic
thanks for those openion.
i forgot i have seen some where says i can custome made the superfunction for z33, (although it need 10 ppl to custom made it at once?)
anyone can confirm this?
Old 05-13-2004, 06:55 AM
ALong

Sorry for not responding quicker everybody, have been OL for the past 4 days.

GYZ, the pictures of the Ohlins are their "street/track" setup. However that doesnt mean it is not a good set up, and at under $3k, it cheap compared to the race Ohlins (which sell for 4500-6000 without springs or mounts!). Depending upon what series and rules for suspension, some people use the "street/track" suspension on their racecars. Also this suspension is far superior to the Nismo suspension you were asking about.

The Ohlins are also aluminum bodied shocks, a lot of the Japanese brand shocks are steel bodied, that is why they dont cost as much.

I dont necessarily agree with Z1 about the other Japanese brands being better. The Japanese brand suspensions that I have driven on tend to be too stiff not only for US roads but also our bumpy race tracks. Stiffer does not mean, faster or better handling.

Ohlins has a number of dealers in the US, so if you need the shocks rebuilt or revalved it is easy to do, cant say the same for all the Japanese brand supensions.

The Ohlins suspension for the Honda S2000 is, according to S2000 owners, awesome. This Z33 kit is the same setup. You might check in with some S2000 BB and get their opinion on the Ohlins on their cars.
Old 05-13-2004, 08:22 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

I guess to be fair you would need to do a unit by unit comparison. Cusco even offers theirs with a Titanium body! I agree some of the lower priced units from Tein are steel bodied, but as you go up the price chart, that tends to change. The Cusco shells are steel, but the threads are stainless, so won't rust.

I have driven a Z with the Cusco (my own) and HKS's, and both have a great blend of daily comfort (our NY roads stink here!), and awesome handling characteristics. You can also order alternative spring rates to suit any of these units, as they use standardized spring diameters. I have not driven the Zeal setup (I think Mr. B has it on his Z), but from a few people I have spoken with, it was very highly regarded on the Z

Adam
Old 05-13-2004, 10:02 AM
GY-Z

Originally posted by ALong
Sorry for not responding quicker everybody, have been OL for the past 4 days.

GYZ, the pictures of the Ohlins are their "street/track" setup. However that doesnt mean it is not a good set up, and at under $3k, it cheap compared to the race Ohlins (which sell for 4500-6000 without springs or mounts!). Depending upon what series and rules for suspension, some people use the "street/track" suspension on their racecars. Also this suspension is far superior to the Nismo suspension you were asking about.

The Ohlins are also aluminum bodied shocks, a lot of the Japanese brand shocks are steel bodied, that is why they dont cost as much.

I dont necessarily agree with Z1 about the other Japanese brands being better. The Japanese brand suspensions that I have driven on tend to be too stiff not only for US roads but also our bumpy race tracks. Stiffer does not mean, faster or better handling.

Ohlins has a number of dealers in the US, so if you need the shocks rebuilt or revalved it is easy to do, cant say the same for all the Japanese brand supensions.

The Ohlins suspension for the Honda S2000 is, according to S2000 owners, awesome. This Z33 kit is the same setup. You might check in with some S2000 BB and get their opinion on the Ohlins on their cars.
thatz a great suggestion, i'll do so.
thanks!
Old 05-13-2004, 10:04 AM
GY-Z

Default Zeal coilover

i have talked with Avalon Racing(one of the vender on the bored).
he said we can custome made the superfunction.
the price is either gonna be 3500 for just 1,
or 3100(mabye better) for 10 setz.
but we'll all need to order @ the same time.
Anyone interested?
Old 05-13-2004, 12:05 PM
GY-Z

o, and i want to specify that the custome made superfunction can not be considered as a group buy.
thanks
Old 05-13-2004, 12:28 PM
ALong

Z1,
You are right, it is hard to say what is better without a side by side comparsion. Having said that, I still believe a company like Ohlins that makes shocks for IRL, Cart, ALMS etc, and that has won the 24hours of LeMans, the Cart Championship, etc etc, is going to make a better shock than someone like Tein, Cusco etc that are unheard of outside of Japan when it comes to race technology, experience and Championships. No disrespect to those Japanese companies but it is like comparing the 350Z to a Ferrari 360. Both are great cars, but the 360 has more technology and is better all around (and you pay for that).

I think in GYZ's case, it sounds like it is a street driven car, and he will be happy regardless of if he uses Cusco, Tein or Ohlins etc. I think for a serious Track Day car or Racecar, no question Ohlins, JRZ, Moton or Penske are going to be superior to Tein, Cusco, HKS etc.

Quick Reply: JDM coilover