Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Possible inexpensive brake upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2004, 07:34 AM
phoenixZ33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by NismoKid
How about using only the calipers (4 pot out front and 2 pot in the rears). Use aftermarket rotors or Maxima's for that matter. Does anyone know the part number for the brembo calipers on the SE-R?
my friend has a set that he is trying to fit on his car. Basically to use any rotor other than stock size you need to make an adapter bracket to space the caliper farther outward. He eventually ended up re-drilling the stock 4-lug rotor. When that's all said and done, the rotor isn't much bigger than a base model Z rotor too. So basically to make it worthwhile you're gonna spend 600-800 for the calipers, $250 for a Maxima rotor (or $200+ each for a track model Z rotor), money to make an adapter bracket, $100+ for new brake lines since the Brembo calipers use an AN fitting and not a Banjo bolt, $100 for pads... you can see where this is going. If you're dead set on Brembos or cooler-looking brakes, you might as well get the track model Z brakes, R34 GTR brakes or a Stoptech type kit.
Old 06-12-2004, 05:29 PM
FritzMan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Gsedan35
Keep in mind that you have altered the oem staggered tire setup, your running the same size front and rear according to your sig. Several guys tracking their cars with same tires at all four corners have reported deminished ABS performance as a result. Might be worthwhile when tire replacement time comes around to up the height of the rears.
Thanks for the heads up, but from what I've read so far it appears that ABS - "Ice Mode" issues come from stiff and highly loaded suspension with potentially one wheel in the air while the brakes are applied (possibly with left foot braking involved as well). I don't know if this issue can or can not be duplicated with stagger setups.

IMO, R compounds might also be a large contributor to "Ice Mode" as they're potentially pushing the limits of ABS programming range. I'm reading about several makes, such as Corvette Z06 and Neon SRT 4 (GRM's project car)which are also having ABS issues in Solo2 environments.

I've not had any ABS issues on the street and more importantly while pushing the car during AutoX. I'm using the ABS to it's fullest extent without any apparent decrease in performance. If anything, thanks to the car's excellent dynamics I'm consistently one of the deepest brakers in my Solo2 club - and that's on street tires. A key point is that I am a right foot braker, and I'm not yet running R compound tires.

Last edited by FritzMan; 06-12-2004 at 05:34 PM.