Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Suspension Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2004, 10:25 PM
Joe999

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension Upgrade?

Hello everyone. I've just signed up to this site and have some questions. Last month I took delivery of a used(9000 miles) 6mt Super Black Enthusiast. So far I've had Katzkin orange/tan seats, a nice sound system, and 20%--both side windows, and rear--tint installed. On order are a Stoptech Big Brake Kit(14" Front, 13" Rear, slotted rotors, red calipers), and 19" Volk GT-Cs(19x8.5 front, 19x9.5 rear) wheels. My question is if I should purchase a suspension kit(springs, shocks). I'll only be tracking the car once every 3 months, and wonder if suspension modifications would be necessary. I'm very happy with the power of the car and won't be modifying any of these aspects. Everything that I know is because of you guys, so I'd like your info on this. Thanks.

Last edited by Joe999; 06-11-2004 at 10:38 PM.
Old 06-11-2004, 11:05 PM
adanande

umm i dont know? i wouldnt untill you take it to the track a few times then ou can see if it needs it, basically with brakes your fine, the z has great suspension for learning. If you want to i would recomend tracking it a few times and then seeing what you want improved, right know i would get nismo sway bars just to reduce the body roll the new contact patch will give you. SO for now just get sway bars and see. If you track it then you will probably know how you want your car to behave and then get a coilover or nismo s-tune.

If you get coilovers you wil have to track it anyways right after you install them to see what you have to adjust, Just recomending you get a feel for the nature of the car before you do drastic changes and learn how to drive with tracktion controll off and see how the car because at the limit, then you will know what you have to buy or setting of your suspension. But for now get Nismo Sway bars trust me they're needed if your getting whider wheels, an increase in contact patch will give you more body roll due to increased grip factors. peace
Old 06-11-2004, 11:06 PM
shortcut3d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am a big fan of the S-tune suspension for people like you and myself. The S-tune suspension just improves on Nissan's already great design. You install and forget it. It rides firmer than the stock suspension, but the car feels and sounds much better. Search for my name and S-tune suspension for details on that.

I reccommend at least getting sway bars for the car if you plan on tracking. Lowering the car also improves aero dynamics. Get the entire track aero package if possible (rear diffusers, and front chin aero deflector). These things will make a difference on open road courses where you exceed 85mph.
Old 06-12-2004, 12:56 AM
GY-Z

u wont need it untill u bring it to the track, and feels like u "need" a better suspension.
Old 06-12-2004, 05:19 AM
dwnshift

350EVO sway bars
350EVO front upper control arms
Koni sport yellows with Springs.

Cheers
BJ@350EVO.com

do a search around this forum on the Koni's..............they are getting great reviews!
Old 06-12-2004, 09:42 AM
Joe999

Originally posted by dwnshift
350EVO sway bars
350EVO front upper control arms
Koni sport yellows with Springs.

Cheers
BJ@350EVO.com

do a search around this forum on the Koni's..............they are getting great reviews!

I was thinking of getting the Nismo Sway Bars with S-tune suspension, but they are not adjustable. Maybe I should change out the sway bars at this moment. The Volk wheels and big brake kit were very expensive, so I might have to wait about a year before upgrading the spring and shocks.

Also, I've been questioning whether I should have ordered cross-drilled vs. slotted rotors. I'm supposed to receive them this week, but I've read that there's a risk that they may crack if used on the track.
Old 06-12-2004, 10:00 AM
dwnshift

We use DBA 2 pc flat rotors...........not drilled or slotted. We used the slotted version but they sawed right through the pads. ...And running three hour races we need to keep the pads !