Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Koni shocks installed: WOW!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2004, 05:24 PM
ezee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Koni shocks installed: WOW!

WOW is an understatement of how good this car feels! Koni shocks, which join the Hotchkis sway bars and Tein H.tech springs that have been on the car for 3 months, have transformed my Z, it feels totally different and soooooo much better it’s incredible, the BOUNCING IS GONE, the ride is fantastic, level and much more connected to the road. It’s strange how the ride feels so good without the bouncing, even with the rebound set at full soft.

The car feels stable, and composed at all speeds with none of the constant jittery movement that was always there with the stock shocks. It’s stunning how much faster I can push through the turns because everything about the ride feels better; stability in turns, braking, turn in, and even acceleration feels better and smoother, particularly out of turns. The best part is that the BOUNCING IS GONE and the car just stays level, it’s incredible how much grip there is and I may be imagining it but there seems to be less tire noise, too.

It’s sad that Nissan missed the mark so badly with their tuning of the Z’s ripple-control shocks but it’s fantastic that Koni hit the target dead center. I paid $680 plus $280 for installation to fix something Nissan should have had right from the beginning. Thank you Koni for getting it so right after Nissan got it so wrong. But the BOUNCING IS GONE so now I can really enjoy my Z. Even though Nissan created a superb suspension geometry that provides incredible grip their suspension tuning for the Z was awful, if they sub out their shocks to Koni their customers will be much happier.

Thanks to excellent service from Greg at GSC Motorsports for getting the shocks to me before the holiday weekend, I’ve got a 9 hour 600 mile drive coming up on Saturday that will be much more enjoyable thanks to these shocks. The Z feels like a different car, much smoother, just great now, if you have any complaints with the stock ride, the Koni’s will make your day. And in case you missed it

THE BOUNCING IS GONE!!!

That’s it for now, must go drive the Z….
Old 06-30-2004, 05:27 PM
jackwhale

If you had installed the Koni's before springs and sway bar, do you think that the improvement would have been the same?
Old 06-30-2004, 06:11 PM
benzz280

how was the ride with just the Tein H Tech? Did these springs eliminate a little bit of bounce?
Old 06-30-2004, 06:47 PM
SungNamZ

I am running 350EVO Sways and Eibach Spring, so can't speak to Hotchkis Sways or Tein H. Springs, but I have Koni Shocks and agree totally.
Old 06-30-2004, 06:54 PM
ezee

The H.techs reduced the bounce quit a bit but they were chosen for a more comfortable ride and they succeed very well, the ride is still firm but the harshness is gone with little compromise in performance and minimal drop. I'll measure the ride height tomorrow but the car looks a little lower with the Konis.

I think the improvement would be just as dramatic with the stock springs, I'm amazed at the difference these shocks make to steering feel and control.
Old 06-30-2004, 11:13 PM
ZZtopp

Awesome....I'm having the same springs and shocks installed in a couple of weeks.....now I can't wait.
Old 07-01-2004, 02:37 AM
jmark

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Koni shocks & 350Evo sways are well worth the $ IMHO.
Old 07-01-2004, 05:34 AM
ezee

I measured the ride height at all 4 wheels this morning, all are within 1/8 inch of what they were before the Koni shocks.

It's hard to say which helped the car more, the springs or the shocks, but this spring/shock/sway bar combination is fantastic. Finally the ride is what I was looking for, sporty yet comfortable, the car feels much better, glued to the road like never before. The improvement in the ride from these changes is remarkable and worth every penny, I highly recommend this setup to anyone dissatisfied with the stock ride.
Old 07-01-2004, 10:01 AM
zwindsor
Twisty addict

Originally posted by ezee
I measured the ride height at all 4 wheels this morning, all are within 1/8 inch of what they were before the Koni shocks.
That's interesting. I've never known shocks to effect ride height before unless they are adjustable height coilovers.
Old 07-01-2004, 10:17 AM
ezee

Originally posted by zwindsor
That's interesting. I've never known shocks to effect ride height before unless they are adjustable height coilovers.
According to my measurements the ride height did not change.
Old 07-01-2004, 10:21 AM
VandyZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey you know I was wondering about the "bouncing". Did the shocks take care of this? After all these discussions, no one ever says one way or the other.

Old 07-01-2004, 10:39 AM
zxsaint
Fairlady Stalker

I may be totally off here, but here's my understanding of it.

From what i've gathered and experienced, the bounce is the result of mismatched shocks/springs. The shocks are too stiff vs. softer springs. Adding springs with a higher rate helps, but adding softer dampers eliminates it completely. The G35c doesn't seem to have this problem since it's setup with the same Z springs but with softer shocks.
Old 07-01-2004, 11:01 AM
ezee

Talking

Originally posted by VandyZ
Hey you know I was wondering about the "bouncing". Did the shocks take care of this? After all these discussions, no one ever says one way or the other.

Bouncing, what bouncing? We don't need no stinkin bouncing.
Old 07-01-2004, 04:47 PM
S12 driver

Originally posted by zxsaint

From what i've gathered and experienced, the bounce is the result of mismatched shocks/springs. The shocks are too stiff vs. softer springs. Adding springs with a higher rate helps, but adding softer dampers eliminates it completely. The G35c doesn't seem to have this problem since it's setup with the same Z springs but with softer shocks.
I thought stiffer shock rebound will reduce the bounce. If you have stiff springs and soft shocks, wouldn't it bounce even worse?
Old 07-01-2004, 05:35 PM
ezee

The bounce was reduced with the H.tech springs but the car still felt like it was always in motion because the stock shocks are poorly valved, simple as that, it's built into the shocks. Now that the stock shocks are gone the distracting, unsettling bouncing is also gone, the ride is alway flat and steady, it feels completely different and soooo much better, tire bite coming out of turns is just awesome, balance and grip are incredible.

I had hoped that the H.tech springs alone would fix the stock ride but they didn't, even though they made it much more comfortable. My only regret is that I didn't replace the whole suspension at once, I would have saved on installation. I thought about installing the Nismo S-tune suspension but that was almost like rewarding Nissan for their mistakes, no way I'd give Nissan any more money to fix the stock ride.

The H.tech springs eliminated the harshness from the ride.
The Hotchkis sway bars reduced body roll and understeer.
The Koni shocks fixed the bouncing and anything else wrong with the stock ride.

It's amazing how the car feels with a flat ride and no bounce, it's like a different car, the ride quality of this setup is vastly superior to the stock ride in every way, but simply replacing the stock shocks with Konis while leaving the rest of the suspension unchanged would be a huge improvement, they are that good. Thank you Koni!

Last edited by ezee; 07-01-2004 at 06:26 PM.
Old 07-04-2004, 03:32 AM
Barzten1

Would you benefit much with just sway bars & shocks?
Old 07-04-2004, 05:38 AM
Darthvol

Originally posted by zxsaint

Just traded my G35c w/18" for touring roadster w/18's; this post confirms my driving impressions exactly. Only gripe is no improved cornering grip over G, but yet harsher ride . Further, I was running Bridgestone S-02s on the G, so the stock Z tires shouldn't be that much different.

I'd like to improve ride quality w/o giving up any grip in the twisties, and if you're right, softer shocks alone should solve the problem, w/o any other suspension mods. Any opinions on whether I'm right/wrong in my reasoning? If anyone agrees, any suggestions on shock alternatives? Just Koni's?
Old 07-04-2004, 08:26 AM
ZZtopp

It's interesting that the Tein H-Techs have a HIGHER spring rate than the OEM springs, yet they made the ride more comfortable. Is this due to the fact that the H-Tech springs are progressive, or that the factory shocks just work better with a stiffer spring?
Old 07-04-2004, 09:50 AM
ezee

The spring rates listed for the H.techs is the final rate, I don't know their initial rate but it is lower. Only when the springs are compressed (ie. turning, braking) will you experience the final rate. During straight-line driving when you encounter bumps you'll experience lower rates and a more comfortable ride.

I don't track or autox my Z so I can't say how these springs work in competition, I suspect stiffer springs would work better for racing but the H.techs are great for public roads.

I think you'd still feel a big benefit if you replaced just the shocks and the sway bars, or even just the shocks. I don't think there's anything wrong with the stock springs except they had the misfortune of being paired with the stock shocks. The stock springs are ok if the roads in your area are good but they were too stiff for me because the roads around here are horrible, just full of huge potholes.

The 3 biggest complaints I've seen about the stock Z suspension are harsh ride, bouncing, and too much understeer. There are certainly other spring/sway bar/shock options on the market but this setup fixes all of those issues to my satisfaction at a reasonable cost. Driving the Z is more fun then ever, especially in the twisties, and that's exactly what I wanted.
Old 07-04-2004, 11:08 AM
ZZtopp

Originally posted by ezee
The spring rates listed for the H.techs is the final rate, I don't know their initial rate but it is lower. Only when the springs are compressed (ie. turning, braking) will you experience the final rate. During straight-line driving when you encounter bumps you'll experience lower rates and a more comfortable ride.

I don't track or autox my Z so I can't say how these springs work in competition, I suspect stiffer springs would work better for racing but the H.techs are great for public roads.

I think you'd still feel a big benefit if you replaced just the shocks and the sway bars, or even just the shocks. I don't think there's anything wrong with the stock springs except they had the misfortune of being paired with the stock shocks. The stock springs are ok if the roads in your area are good but they were too stiff for me because the roads around here are horrible, just full of huge potholes.

The 3 biggest complaints I've seen about the stock Z suspension are harsh ride, bouncing, and too much understeer. There are certainly other spring/sway bar/shock options on the market but this setup fixes all of those issues to my satisfaction at a reasonable cost. Driving the Z is more fun then ever, especially in the twisties, and that's exactly what I wanted.

Thanks! I'll check back when mine are installed.

Quick Reply: Koni shocks installed: WOW!