Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Sway bar question

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2004, 09:34 AM
jeffa55

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sway bar question

Well, I am about to do my first mod on the car. I autox'd it for the first time and the car really seemed to push bad and had more body roll than I expected. From the 'curb' my car looked much more out of control than the 996's (they seemed much more composed). After reading many posts on the forum, I think I can correct a bunch of that with sway bars and I have decided to go with the Hotchkis ones. I now have a couple of questions:

1) I assume that, based on my comments above, sway bars are a good start.

2) I noticed that the NISMO bars seem to be for non-VDC cars only. Why is that? Are the Hotchkis ones ok with VDC?

3) Do you need to get a re-alignment after putting them in? Also, will this install void the 'tire wear' warranty (where they do free alignments for the first 24 months)??

Thanks for your help.
Old 07-22-2004, 09:52 AM
Audito350Z

Default Re: Sway bar question

Originally posted by jeffa55
Well, I am about to do my first mod on the car. I autox'd it for the first time and the car really seemed to push bad and had more body roll than I expected. From the 'curb' my car looked much more out of control than the 996's (they seemed much more composed). After reading many posts on the forum, I think I can correct a bunch of that with sway bars and I have decided to go with the Hotchkis ones. I now have a couple of questions:

1) I assume that, based on my comments above, sway bars are a good start.
Yes, swaybars are a good place to start. Keep in mind, that upgrading suspension parts will likely move you into a different category at the auto-x.

2) I noticed that the NISMO bars seem to be for non-VDC cars only. Why is that? Are the Hotchkis ones ok with VDC?
The only reason the NISMO bars say they are for non-VDC cars is that when they were tested, Nissan used cars without VDC. So, the lawyers make them say they are only for non-VDC cars so that nobody can sue them. Any swaybar will work on your car.

3) Do you need to get a re-alignment after putting them in? Also, will this install void the 'tire wear' warranty (where they do free alignments for the first 24 months)??
You do not need an alignment after installing swaybars. The "tire wear" warranty issue is something you will have to take up with your service department.... so will do it, some won't

Cheers,

PeteH
Old 07-22-2004, 11:17 AM
jeffa55

Default Re: Re: Sway bar question

Thanks for the info! Are the bars easy to install?? Any special tools needed? Hours??

Thanks!
Old 07-22-2004, 04:16 PM
Audito350Z

if you are handy with tools and have 4 sturdy jack stands, then it's about an hour to swap front and rear swaybars... air tools make it easier, but are not necessary... no special tools needed

here's a good write-up on how to do it...
https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=33672