Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Konis and H-techs installed

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2004, 04:11 PM
ZZtopp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Konis and H-techs installed

Bounce? What bounce?

It's definitely gone. I wouldn't say the overall difference is night and day, but I never thought the Z's suspension was really that bad to begin with. Now, it certainly rides better, and although I've only just driven it home from the shop, handling seems to be better as well, with a bit of reduced understeer. It's still there, but reduced...some sways should take care of that.

The car seems better planted, especially on uneven surfaces....it feels less like a tightly wound Pitt Bull ready spring and more like a well-poised Doberman.

Was it worth the investment? I don't know.....I'll check back after a few more miles. Anyone want to buy some OEM springs and shocks? Anyone???? Anyone??????? Nah............I didn't think so.
Old 07-23-2004, 09:32 PM
g35thanh

worthless thread w/o pics.
Old 07-24-2004, 07:48 AM
ZZtopp

Originally posted by g35thanh
worthless thread w/o pics.
Pics of what??? Do you really need to see a pic of another Z with virtually no discernable drop in order to comprehend my driving impressions? Thanks for the worthless post.
Old 07-24-2004, 08:35 AM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Please let us know what ya think after a couple hundred miles, ZZ.
Old 07-24-2004, 09:26 AM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It's interesting to note that this is the second known application of the H-tech on a Z and that other Z owner ran oem shocks for awhile, then went to Koni's as well. Thank you for posting your impression's. Please, if you would do a follow up post when you've put more miles on the setup and have driven over a various road conditions. The reason I'm glad you posted and hope you'll give impression's down the line is because 350Z H-tech is a better choice for G35 owners since it has much better spring rates then G35 Tein springs do performance wise.
Old 07-24-2004, 10:19 AM
ZZtopp

After a spirited drive through Red Rock Canyon this morning (a run I've made many times in the Z), I can now say that the Konis and H-techs have dramatically improved the car. Sharp impacts are reduced and body roll feels about the same as stock, however at the limit, it seems to be even better. There are a couple of sharp turns with uneven pavement on the 13 mile loop, and now the car stays perfectly planted.....the rear is not chattering all over the place like it was with the OEM setup. This is how the car should have come from the factory.

The ride is improved for sure. When I'd go from driving the Z to my wife's Audi A6 Quattro, there was a big difference in comfort, yet the Audi still handled very well. Now, I would say the gap has been closed significantly.....so much so that I would even prefer the Z as a daily driver over the Audi just because of the edge it has in handling without beating you up anymore.

As far as the drop......nothing so far. It's only minimal anyway, so maybe that .3" will show up in the next few weeks as the springs settle in.

So was it worth the investment? Oh yeah.
Old 07-24-2004, 12:48 PM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Give us a "long term" report if you think of it in a couple weeks, ZZ.

Appreciate your reports.
Old 07-24-2004, 12:58 PM
lawnmore

Default Re: Konis and H-techs installed

Originally posted by ZZtopp
Bounce? What bounce?

It's definitely gone. I wouldn't say the overall difference is night and day, but I never thought the Z's suspension was really that bad to begin with. Now, it certainly rides better, and although I've only just driven it home from the shop, handling seems to be better as well, with a bit of reduced understeer. It's still there, but reduced...some sways should take care of that.

The car seems better planted, especially on uneven surfaces....it feels less like a tightly wound Pitt Bull ready spring and more like a well-poised Doberman.

Was it worth the investment? I don't know.....I'll check back after a few more miles. Anyone want to buy some OEM springs and shocks? Anyone???? Anyone??????? Nah............I didn't think so.
Post your springs and shocks on a G35 sight and I bet they disappear ( G35driver) I would be especially interested in a long term (!-2 thousand mi) report as I have been thinking of the same setup

Last edited by lawnmore; 07-24-2004 at 01:01 PM.
Old 07-25-2004, 03:34 PM
ZZtopp

Two day update:

The front shows no drop at all, the driver side rear has dropped 1/8", the passenger side rear has dropped 1/4".

Also, after the install, the steering wheel is turned about 5-7 degrees to the left when the car is going perfectly straight ahead. It's going back to the installer on Monday for the fix.

My wife, who hated riding in the Z because of the suspension, noticed the difference immediately today. Now she likes it.... so much so that she wants to start driving it.......yeah, that'll happen....when monkeys fly out of my a$$..
Old 07-25-2004, 07:42 PM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Zz,

Your comment on "wife" is spot on for me. Mine likes riding in the Z but only for short runs. I'm thinkin' I need to get a smoother ride in order to get her to go on longer trips & not "whine".

Keep us posted.
Old 07-25-2004, 08:51 PM
ZZtopp

Originally posted by The Brickyard Rat
Zz,

Your comment on "wife" is spot on for me. Mine likes riding in the Z but only for short runs. I'm thinkin' I need to get a smoother ride in order to get her to go on longer trips & not "whine".

Keep us posted.
Just make sure she doesn't like it TOO much!!!

I just found some Hotchkis springs for the Z that have some interesting rates:

340 lbs fronts (stock: 310)
330 lbs rears (stock: 350)

These drop the car about .75"at each corner. That's more than the .3 of the H-Tech. They are linear not progressive. I might have gone with these had I known about them. I wonder if anyone has tried them.........
Old 07-25-2004, 09:01 PM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

We do have a memer her on the Hotchkis springs, she even has Koni's as well. Here name is Amy I do believe.
Old 07-25-2004, 09:46 PM
ZZtopp

Originally posted by Gsedan35
We do have a memer her on the Hotchkis springs, she even has Koni's as well. Here name is Amy I do believe.
Thanks! I did a search and found the thread....it seems that Amy says the springs are progessive, while the Hotchkis website says they are linear. She also claims the springs are much stiffer than stock.....I wonder if she's talking about the same springs?

Last edited by ZZtopp; 07-25-2004 at 10:44 PM.
Old 07-26-2004, 11:26 AM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

ZZ,

I hate to say this but my wife is smoother on the manny tranny than I am.

Awhile back I took her out for a "driving lesson" on the Zzz. She had driven a manual in the past but it had been like 30 years.
I was braced for the worst. On the first try, she slips the car into first, releases the clutch & pulls out smoother than silk; same with the other gears. Every time, every gear........silk!

The saving grace is she does not like the extra "work" of shifting & likes our SUV much better because she sits higher. Thank the good Lord for small favors!! LOL!

Last edited by The Brickyard Rat; 07-26-2004 at 11:29 AM.
Old 07-26-2004, 07:16 PM
ZZtopp

ZZ,

I hate to say this but my wife is smoother on the manny tranny than I am.

Awhile back I took her out for a "driving lesson" on the Zzz. She had driven a manual in the past but it had been like 30 years.
I was braced for the worst. On the first try, she slips the car into first, releases the clutch & pulls out smoother than silk; same with the other gears. Every time, every gear........silk!

The saving grace is she does not like the extra "work" of shifting & likes our SUV much better because she sits higher. Thank the good Lord for small favors!! LOL!
That's funny......my wife is actually a damn good driver as well. She even wants me to buy her the three day course at the Richard Petty stock car school at the Las Vegas Speedway. "Hey, no problem, babe."

It's not her driving that concerns me. It's the Starbucks mugs....the endless empty bottles of water rolling around.......the pairs of shoes and workout clothes.......the fashion magazines....and God knows what else I'll find every time I want to drive my Z.

NO ****** WAY.
Old 07-26-2004, 07:24 PM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Get her an SUV with a stick! She gets to sit up high (seems to be a big attraction for women) and still play jr road racer!!

LOL!
Old 07-26-2004, 07:52 PM
ZZtopp

Get her an SUV with a stick! She gets to sit up high (seems to be a big attraction for women) and still play jr road racer!!

LOL!
You got that right! She had a Toyota Land Cruiser before the Audi, and she keeps bitching about not being up high.......that she misses her SUV!! What's up with that??? The Audi A6 is a dream machine, but she still wants a damn truck. I offered to buy here a new A8L (mainly because I want it).......but no.......she wants a Taureg!! I give up.......
Old 07-26-2004, 10:09 PM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

So how long before you trade the A6 in on a big, big, BIG SUV?

Your gonna lose this one, ZZ.

Old 07-27-2004, 07:34 AM
ZZtopp

So how long before you trade the A6 in on a big, big, BIG SUV?

Your gonna lose this one, ZZ.

It'll be before snow ski season.......she's friends with a fat a$$, annoying hog that drives an Escalade (puke), and everytime she rides in it, she gets SUV fever. You're right.......I've already lost. No one in their right mind turns down an A8.
Old 07-27-2004, 10:01 AM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Somewhere in there is a great one liner but I'd get flamed by all the lady Zzzzers out there!!

Post a pic of your wife with her new SUV when ya get it, Zz!

Quick Reply: Konis and H-techs installed