Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Track/ Brembo Brake Noise...

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2002, 07:48 PM
schindem

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Track/ Brembo Brake Noise...

I have a Daytona Blue Track with the Brembos- of course. I took it to Nissan dealership today because I've been noticing a high pitch when I apply just a little pressure to the brakes when in traffic/waiting at a light...

The sound seems to be coming only from the front brakes. They said it looks as if the pads are wearing unevenly and that on one edge the surface is smooth, the other rougher and grainy-like. They are ordering new pads and will install next week, I just hope this fixes the problem. Very annoying when coming to a halt in traffic and screeeeeeeeeeech, oh that sounded like ****. Even with my new stereo cranked, I know they are squealing and it is driving me nuts!

Anyone else with the Track/ Brembos having this problem, remember only very light tapping on the brakes, not a regular stop. Of course I do have 2800 miles on her, so maybe it takes a while for this to start... or I'm just an unlucky soul with squeaky brakes and oily streaked windows!!!

Let me know if you have had any trouble of this sort, thanks...

late-
Old 10-15-2002, 08:09 PM
alphaz

I've got a Track. i do not have the brake noise but I do have the window streaks. If your windows are tinted try not to raise and lower them too much until the rollers are replaced. i have heard that it will cause problems with the tint.
Old 10-15-2002, 08:26 PM
SKiDaZZLe
Charter Member #34

i had brake noise... for about 50 miles around 1700 ... went away..

the streaks arent going to hurt anything... just keep wiping them often.
Old 10-15-2002, 11:11 PM
fdao

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too have the screeching noise on my Track model. Appears to be from the front as well. Seems to be less frequent now with 1200+ miles.
Old 10-16-2002, 05:18 AM
Thunderbolt
Charter Member #88

Default Re: Track/ Brembo Brake Noise...

Originally posted by schindem
I've been noticing a high pitch when I apply just a little pressure to the brakes when in traffic/waiting at a light...

The sound seems to be coming only from the front brakes. They said it looks as if the pads are wearing unevenly and that on one edge the surface is smooth, the other rougher and grainy-like.
Brembro have two pistons per caliper. One larger than the other. The larger one will be on the trailing edge of the pad and the smaller one on the leading edge. If you do not do hard braking the larger piston will be the one that applies the most pressure to the pad and the pad will look like it is wearing funny. This is normal on street usage. Dont worry about it. You will still stop on a dime when needed.

The noise is caused by the pads moving back and forth when they lightly touch the rotating rotor. Your dealer will have to apply a anti squeal agent to the new pads to stop the noise. Permatex makes a very good one and the tech should know about it.
Old 10-16-2002, 09:40 AM
ChinaClipper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default No noises here!

2600 miles on the odometer with no noises or other Brembo protestations! My only complaint is the amount of brake dust thrown out, but baby, those metallic orange Brembo calipers look so sweet behind those Ray's wheels!
Old 10-27-2002, 01:03 PM
wizeline

Default I HAVE NOISE!!

2725 on the Odometer and I still have breake noise on my Brembos!!

I guess I have to goto the dealer!

Anyone know if there are metalic pads avalible for the Bremo Kits yet? The brake dust cleaning is exhausting!
Old 10-27-2002, 05:53 PM
robertchen

Default Re: Re: Track/ Brembo Brake Noise...

Originally posted by Thunderbolt
Brembro have two pistons per caliper. One larger than the other. The larger one will be on the trailing edge of the pad and the smaller one on the leading edge. If you do not do hard braking the larger piston will be the one that applies the most pressure to the pad and the pad will look like it is wearing funny. This is normal on street usage. Dont worry about it. You will still stop on a dime when needed.

The noise is caused by the pads moving back and forth when they lightly touch the rotating rotor. Your dealer will have to apply a anti squeal agent to the new pads to stop the noise. Permatex makes a very good one and the tech should know about it.
I thought the track model with brembos are 4piston calipers... and 2pistons rear.
Old 10-28-2002, 04:00 AM
ChinaClipper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Track/ Brembo Brake Configuration

Originally posted by robertchen
I thought the track model with brembos are 4piston calipers... and 2pistons rear.
Robert, you are indeed correct. The description by thunderbolt described the PAIR of pistons (large and small) on the front calipers.

The Nissan calipers are "floating" and move side to side (laterally) under brake operation. Thus, the two front Nissan pistons operate on only one side of the rotor and the caliper moves laterally to equalize the pressure on both pads/sides of the rotor. Because of friction, the piston side of the caliper ends up exerting more pressure than the other, so the pads end up wearing unevenly - the pads directly under the pistons wearing out quicker.

Brembos by contrast have a "fixed" front caliper with four pistons - two pairs operating opposite each other to TRULY equalize pad pressure and maximize brake pad application/efficiency. Same goes for the single pair of rear pistons opposite each other on the Brembo set-up. Brembo pads should wear more evenly between the inside and outside pads.

HTH
Old 11-09-2002, 08:00 PM
nanhead

I test drove a Daytona Blue Track model earlier this week and asked the salesmen if they knew about the noise. He hadn't heard about any noises until I can to a slow stop and we both heard it. He was pretty surprised at hearing the noise.
Old 11-10-2002, 01:23 PM
cobalt

"Race" type calipers will have a greater tendency to produce noise, especially when used with a compound having a coefficient of friction approaching 0.40mu. The reason is that most race calipers (non-sliding) do not have anti-vibration/rattle clips or other noise reducing mechanisms, as these are considered to be unnecessary for "track/race" use. Some systems have pad retraction devices, which provide positive retraction of the pad when you release the brake pedal.

With regards to noise until light braking, try going out and doing 4-6 moderate to heavy deccelerations (increasingly greater brake pedal pressure as you go) from 45-55mph on an open road without traffic. Use firm brake pedal application, but do not "stab" or "jam on" the brakes. Follow these braking manouveres with 10-15 minutes of cool-down driving. If you have any uneven wear/bedding of the brakes, such as can be observed by irregular wear patterns on the rotors, this procedure should take care of it.

All brake pads need to be bedded in to ensure proper function and longevity.

HTH... -Andie
Old 11-11-2002, 05:47 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: Track/ Brembo Brake Noise...

is the noise high pitches squeel? might just be dust btwn the pistons and the back of the pad.

i had clicking noises on my brembos for my maxima. but i just rebled the lines and it fixed it

did you know that the pistons are magnetic, to pull back the back of the brake pads?

neat.
Old 11-11-2002, 07:38 PM
articfury
Charter Member #55

Chesbostos-

The noise I hear on occasion doesn't sound like normal brake pad noise. My previous car was an MR2 T with Porterfield R4S pads. After 6 months the pads started squealing, like a lot of the hi-perf pads.

The sound I hear only occurs at slow speeds and light pressures. It is sound different than any I have heard from brakes before. Not sure what's causing it. I am still trying to find the circumstances that causes the sound.

JD
Old 11-12-2002, 09:05 AM
TRACK350z

Arrow

Mine squeeked a little this weekend, i had 650mi.

Has not done it again, i have 900 miles now.
Old 11-12-2002, 09:14 AM
SandMan

No squeaks here. Brakes are amazing for me. I only have 200 odd miles on it, but hopefully it won't have any problems.
Old 11-12-2002, 06:52 PM
Thunderbolt
Charter Member #88

Default Re: Re: Track/ Brembo Brake Configuration

Originally posted by ChinaClipper
Robert, you are indeed correct. The description by thunderbolt described the PAIR of pistons (large and small) on the front calipers.

The Nissan calipers are "floating" and move side to side (laterally) under brake operation. Thus, the two front Nissan pistons operate on only one side of the rotor and the caliper moves laterally to equalize the pressure on both pads/sides of the rotor. Because of friction, the piston side of the caliper ends up exerting more pressure than the other, so the pads end up wearing unevenly - the pads directly under the pistons wearing out quicker.

Brembos by contrast have a "fixed" front caliper with four pistons - two pairs operating opposite each other to TRULY equalize pad pressure and maximize brake pad application/efficiency. Same goes for the single pair of rear pistons opposite each other on the Brembo set-up. Brembo pads should wear more evenly between the inside and outside pads.

HTH

You are so right. It has been a while since I have worked on the Brembos and I had just forgot about how they worked. Thanks
Old 11-20-2002, 12:58 PM
Nate

I have loud Brembo brake squeal at low speeds and light pedal pressure as well. Still doing this after 600 miles.

Has anyone found a fix for this?

-Nate
----------------
LeMans Track
Old 11-20-2002, 03:11 PM
schindem

Default Real Problem Here!!!

I have 3500 miles on my Z and have had it 10 weeks. The noise is still there and drives me crazy -god I hate these damn Brembos, Buyers of TRACKS- BEWARE!!! Go for the Touring w/leather and add an aero package, buy nice wheels and your's will be much better than the track! I am going to sell I think, just not as happy with the Z as I should be for this price!

Take notice, this is going to hurt the Track down the road!!!

late-
Old 11-20-2002, 03:18 PM
wizeline

The brake noise is not impossible to fix. I had 3100miles on my track Z and I put the anti friction lube on the back of the pads.... no more noise. I am also upgrading to HAWK pads to cut back on the dust....these problems are minor and will not affect the Track Z in preformance or value!!!!!

The squeeking is not from misalignment or impropper wear, just the nature of a high friction pad on a large rotor!

I will have the new HAWK HPS+ pads here sortly and I will take photos of the replacement process to help other out. If you want, just e-mail me in a week or two and I'll post the process on the forums.

Calm down, call your dealer or locate some anti squeek lube at Auto Zone!!
Old 11-21-2002, 07:43 AM
Nate

Wow... I love the track and the Brembos.

These are true performance calipers, and from what I have heard, should also make brake maintenance easier (bleeding, pad replacement, etc).

If the only reason you got the track was for the looks of the painted calipers, maybe you are right

This is just a minor annoyance and I was just wondering if it went away on its own, or just needed some hard braking to break them in, or if they needed friction lube, or in the worst case scenario, shims or new pads.

Wizeline, so all you did was put a dab of antifriction lube from autozone on the back of each pad? What is the process for pulling the pads and how is different on the Brembos than standard calipers? Any tips? Keep me updated on the new pads as well

-Nate
---------------
LeMans Track

Quick Reply: Track/ Brembo Brake Noise...